Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,499

0 members and 2,499 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels
    Thanks

Water monitor help

Hello, I purchased a young water monitor 4 days ago and he hasn't been eating, I figured it was stress from being put in a new environment, nor has he been active at all. I've owned monitors in the past but this is my first time owning a water. I would love for him to eventually be tamed down like my past monitors as well and yes I'm aware of the size they grow and already prepared to build him an enclosure and everything lol. I would really appreciate the advice!!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks
    there aren't any pictures showing up, and from what little info you have provided it could be anything from stress, to improper husbandry, to a sick lizard. Is the lizard a WC or CB, what type of enclosure is it in, what are the ambients, hot spot and humidity at. Did they person that sold it to you tell you what it was eating, have you been handling it?
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Re: Water monitor help

Sorry I don't know why my pics aren't loading. It's captive bred, i use reptiebark, it's in a 30 gallon long until he gets big enough for me to transfer him. And the ambient temp is 80° with the basking at 99°
    Along with the humidity being at 60%, I handled him the first day and gave him a soak for a bit but after that I haven't touched him much if not at all. So maybe you think it'll just him needing to adjust to the environment?

Thanks
    Honestly, there is the possibility that he could be sick, but I can't make that call. Handling him will stress him out. and really that enclosure is way to small you won't be able to achieve the proper temperature gradient in there, and if its glass I assume all the sides are see through? If they are he won't feel secure. I would also say humidity and the basking area are too low. Monitors need a much higher basking temperature than that, but with a cage that small the ambient will get too hot, so you have quite a few things going against you, and with him being so new that could be a factor as well.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 06-21-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks

Re: Water monitor help

Okay ill bump the basking and humidity but all sides are covered as well and yeah he hasn't been handled