Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,314

2 members and 3,312 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Stuck Shed - New Adult

I purchased a 6yr old BP from a show on Sunday and he was in shed. He started to shed Monday and I soaked for 30 min yesterday to help aid the process (majority of the shed is stuck). My effort was unsuccessful in removing the majority of the shed (didn't want to soak longer for fear of additional stress since he is acclimating to his new home). However, should I resoak him again today for longer, then remove the remaining shed (rewetting as needed with damp paper towel)? I have other younger ball pythons, so this is my first adult, but don't want to freak him out too much with so much change and stress at once.

As a side note, I don't typically struggle with humidity as I keep my snake in a rack setup, with damp sphagnum moss and a large bowl.

Thank you!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Eye caps

Are the eye caps off? What is the himidity in the enclosure?

Thanks

Re: Stuck Shed - New Adult

His head look pretty clear (including eyecaps). The majority of the shed is shed is the 3/4 lower body portion. His humidity is great (I haven't measured the exact percent, but enough to fog his tub). He is in a new rack setup that I purchased with him. I am comfortable with the removal of the shed, just still relatively new to BP care and don't want to overstress him unnecessarily. Is it okay to soak him 2 days in a row?

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I wouldn't

I hate soaking them. To stressful for them. I would just keep himidity up and leave him be. He should get it off. Although I have one female that I needed to soak twice. I think she was just lazy. Lol
    Last edited by Bcycling; 06-21-2017 at 08:12 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bcycling For This Useful Post:

0klahoma (06-21-2017)

Thanks

Yea, I personally don't like to soak either, but don't want him to have his shed stuck for an extended period of time. I put additional moss in there and a couple small cork board pieces to rub against, so hoping that he can do it himself.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Since his head/eyecaps are clear I would just make sure that his tail tip is also clean, as stuck shed there can eventually constrict, cut off the blood flow, and cause his tail to get infected. Otherwise just leave him alone and keep his humidity up.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

0klahoma (06-21-2017),Bcycling (06-21-2017),CALM Pythons (06-21-2017),EvilKitty (06-21-2017),JodanOrNoDan (06-21-2017)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

I agree your BP needs to get use to his new home so added stress wouldn't be good right now, but people who say soaking causes stress are talking smack. Yes BP's are a nervous snake compared to a Burm or Retic but there is no proof soaking them stresses them out. I wish people would stick to what can be proven instead of spreading their opinion like its Gospel.
    Like BCR229 says check the tail. I had that problem 17 years ago and he lost the tip.
    Congrats on the new edition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CALM Pythons For This Useful Post:

0klahoma (06-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thank you all! I am new to this forum, but have a growing interest in Ball Python care and development (likely to begin breeding at some point in the future after gaining more knowledge). I appreciate the support and quick responses!

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Evidence enough for me

You can believe that soaking doesn't cause stress. No skin off my back, but the issue here is its a new snake and a new environment which. Is hard enough on the snake more times than not. Then to through it in a tub of water, I think that is going to cause issues. Plus the fact that the few times I have had to do it they seem to musk and pee everywhere is proof enough for me to do all I can to avoid that. If I have stuck shed now I do the damp pillow case method as they have something to rub on with a towel in with them and they don't pee everywhere