Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,717

0 members and 2,717 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

How to tell if your BP is stressed

I'm new to the whole snake world, as I just got my first one today (a BP.) And I'm sure I speak for other beginners when I ask what are some common signs of stress, not that I think he is currently stressed. But then again how would I know. So if I could have some experienced owner or breeders give me some helpful advice that'd be greatly appreciated. Also... I'm probably gonna sound dumb for asking... but what does husbandry mean? I saw this part of the forum and scrolled through and figured this would be the best place for my question(s)

Thanks
    I got my first bp like almost 4 months ago. And here is how I know if my bp is stressed.

1, if he's crawling a lot during day time
    2, if he's crawling up to a ball like most of time, so theres a difference between lay relax and crawling up to a ball
    3, if he's not eating (for a very long time)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 6037201 For This Useful Post:

nor (07-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If your BP is stressed in its enclsoure, meaning temps or setup is off, it may be very active during the day (looking like it's "exploring", but it is actually looking for better conditions). It might refuse to eat.

During regular handling, it might shrink back, try to curl into a ball, or slither quickly trying to escape. Sometimes they breathe hard when stressed, and you can see their bodies heaving. Over-handling them causes stress too, whether it is noticeable or not.

Husbandry: animal care... So for ball pythons, it's temperatures, heating, hides, overall setup.