Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,869

1 members and 2,868 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Would love some advice PLS

I know this has nothing to do with snakes and thats why its in the off topic cafe. Hopefully it doesn't violate any forum rules (if so please alert me) I just needed so advice from outside sources and thought here might be good. I recently got a new job @ babies r us. My first job ever, I have only been on it for a couple months now and have clocked a good amount of hours. My coworkers told me I was doing really good and I was starting to be less anxious about the whole thing. I woke up today however and had a call from my manager telling me I had missed a 10-2 shift. I don't know how it slipped by me. I am devastated and mortified and really dont want to get fired. I apologized profusely and promised it wouldn't happen again, but I dont know how much else I can do. I know some people will call me a wuss or stupid for this but I'm about 6 months clean from self harming and this is making me feel the urge to start again. I just really needed so advice and had nowhere else to go.

1.0 Normal
    Normal doesn't mean boring!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    First, breathe. We are all human and we all make mistakes. What differentiates us and shows our character is how we react to them. You can either own it and fix it, or you can deflect and blame others. Guess which one your boss wants to see?

Second, figure out why the error occurred. Did you write down your schedule incorrectly? Was the schedule changed at the last minute? Are you relying on your memory and you simply forgot?

Third, figure out how to fix the error. Do you check the schedule for your upcoming shifts at the end of your current one? Can you put your schedule into your phone or enter reminder alarms an hour or so before each shift so you don't forget again?

Fourth, let your supervisor know what you're doing to fix the problem so it doesn't occur again.
    Last edited by bcr229; 07-23-2017 at 12:16 PM.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

anthroterra (07-23-2017),Craiga 01453 (07-23-2017),DLena (07-23-2017),GoingPostal (07-24-2017),JodanOrNoDan (07-23-2017),PokeyTheNinja (07-23-2017),spellbound04 (07-23-2017),wolfy-hound (07-24-2017)

Thanks

Re: Would love some advice PLS

I've forgotten about shifts before and work in a pretty intense field. Mistakes happen. Bcr's suggestions are spot on. You can do this! It will be ok
    Leilani- corn snake (butter tesserra)
    Keahi- corn snake (sunglow motley)
    Pololena- ball python (banana)
    Ichtaka- ball python (mystic potion)
    Wonambi- Brazilian rainbow boa (normal)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anthroterra For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (07-23-2017)

Thanks

Thank you, I just really hate myself rn. I look on the Facebook page online for schedules (which they post there) I dont know why I was confused. I worked nearly 24 hours this week and its possible I was overwhelmed , more likely I just made a stupid mistake I now have to live with. I have so much respect for my coworkers and I hate that now they're going to think they can't rely on me. I guess the only thing to do is work harder in the future. Thank you again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spellbound04 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anthroterra View Post
    I've forgotten about shifts before and work in a pretty intense field. Mistakes happen. Bcr's suggestions are spot on. You can do this! It will be ok
    Thank you, I'm just extra nervous because I'm so new. I know now they have the wrong impression of me and I'm not as valuable an asset and therefore more likely to get fired for something like this

1.0 Normal

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Take a step back. Relax. Get a little distance. (I know it's hard).
    bcr229 is absolutely on it.
    You are handling it in such a mature fashion (owned it, apologized, new plan of action so it doesn't happen again), if you worked for me, I'd value that level of maturity a great deal.
    Maybe bring in a token for the people who covered your shift, a coffee or donut holes...nothing big, just a token to show you appreciate them. (Do it even if they were less than gracious - you'll be pleasantly surprised!)
    And go hug a reptile. 8^)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-23-2017),spellbound04 (07-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DLena View Post
    Take a step back. Relax. Get a little distance. (I know it's hard).
    bcr229 is absolutely on it.
    You are handling it in such a mature fashion (owned it, apologized, new plan of action so it doesn't happen again), if you worked for me, I'd value that level of maturity a great deal.
    Maybe bring in a token for the people who covered your shift, a coffee or donut holes...nothing big, just a token to show you appreciate them. (Do it even if they were less than gracious - you'll be pleasantly surprised!)
    And go hug a reptile. 8^)
    Thank you, I'm only 16 and my age already really shows in this job so thats a bummer but I'm trying to handle it as well as I can.
    Thats a really great idea about the little gift, I will definitely do that. I'm with my family now and they helped me calm down. Thank you again, and I'll be sure to give my noodle a snuggle

1.0 Normal

Thanks

You aren't stupid sweetie, you are human.

Focus on your next shift and put yourself some reminder alerts in your phone.

Speak to your manager and tell her you are very sorry for the mistake and would like to make up the shift if at all possible.

Mistakes happen to all of us, it's how we rectify them that defines us xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Balls balls balls

13. The Following User Says Thank You to embrit345 For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (07-23-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    I have managed people for quite a long time. I allow a screw up every now and then. The trick with me is never make the same mistake twice, and if your mistake affected anyone else, make it right.
    Honest, I only need one more ...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-23-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by embrit345 View Post
    You aren't stupid sweetie, you are human.

Focus on your next shift and put yourself some reminder alerts in your phone.

Speak to your manager and tell her you are very sorry for the mistake and would like to make up the shift if at all possible.

Mistakes happen to all of us, it's how we rectify them that defines us xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the support, you guys are the sweetest and I really appreciate everything

1.0 Normal

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spellbound04 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (07-23-2017),embrit345 (07-24-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast