Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,062

4 members and 3,058 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: Feisty Jungle

Thanks

Feisty Jungle

Purchased this girl back in November. Haven't really posted pictures of her much. She was surprisingly easier to handle at the beginning. Now she's always ready to tag me. She's grown quite a bit since then. She's in she's at the moment and would rather not pester her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    0.1. Boa constrictor ​imperator

0.0.1. Aphonopelma chalcodes
    0.0.1. Grammostola pulchra

Thanks
    I had a carpet at one time that did the same thing, calmed down then got angry and bitey again, from what I've read (someone correct me if I'm wrong ) it's just kind of something that can happen with the Australian pythons. Mine calmed down a bit before I rehomed him with one of my friends who still has him, he seems to just have moods at this point. One day he's great the next he's meaner than sin.
    Last edited by Artemisace; 06-18-2017 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks

Re: Feisty Jungle

That's interesting. I just attributed it to her being small still. I've always heard that carpets tame out nicely when they put on size. She's by far the most exciting of my three. I recently tried feeding her fuzzy rats after feeding her rat pinky's the last 6 months or so, and she has a great feeding response. I'm very excited to watch her grow.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 2,683 Posts

If she was still getting rat pinks after 6 months that could be why she's grumpy . How much does your carpet weigh and how often do you feed her? She looks like she could handle larger prey. Most carpets will mellow out in the first year but some will remain jerks.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

5. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

rock (06-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    My carpet was the same as Artemisace. She was REALLY bitey as a baby. Then the older she got, she kind of mellowed out but she would have moods where she would go back to being high strung and then semi mellow. She was the only snake i had that i wouldnt trust. I ended up rehoming her because i got tired of running a 50/50 chance of being bit just reaching in to change water. The shop i traded her to still has her. I guess she is about the same as when i traded her. She was really pretty but definitely a display animal over a hands on animal. Complete opposite of my boas and retic.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks

She's still small, give her time. Keep her well fed. Some have cage defensiveness, but are fine when out of the enclosure. I would suggest a hook for coaxing her out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    If she was still getting rat pinks after 6 months that could be why she's grumpy . How much does your carpet weigh and how often do you feed her? She looks like she could handle larger prey. Most carpets will mellow out in the first year but some will remain jerks.
    No ElZiggy. She's on rat fuzzies. They leave a nice lump on her. I moved her up once I didn't any visible lump after feeding her pinks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sauzo View Post
    My carpet was the same as Artemisace. She was REALLY bitey as a baby. Then the older she got, she kind of mellowed out but she would have moods where she would go back to being high strung and then semi mellow. She was the only snake i had that i wouldnt trust. I ended up rehoming her because i got tired of running a 50/50 chance of being bit just reaching in to change water. The shop i traded her to still has her. I guess she is about the same as when i traded her. She was really pretty but definitely a display animal over a hands on animal. Complete opposite of my boas and retic.
    My boa is amazing, hissed a bit at first but hasn't in the last few months. My ball python isn't even worth mentioning, he's just mellow as can be. Just based on how challenging she is to handle my Jungle is my favorite so far.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jollyrogers View Post
    She's still small, give her time. Keep her well fed. Some have cage defensiveness, but are fine when out of the enclosure. I would suggest a hook for coaxing her out.
    Yes, she's still small and I love how challenging she is. Great suggestion By the way, Gio gave me that tip a few months back using a hook or stick to get her to relax. Had a great handling session with her this mourning using my hook. Took her about 5 mins to relax to the point were I could just hold her without the hook, but no strikes. She was a bit jumpy and "S" coiled a few times but I was able to get some pictures. I'm thinking of starting a progression thread on her, tonight is feeding night too so I'll get some feeding pictures.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RamMac For This Useful Post:

Jollyrogers (06-19-2017)

Thanks

How is she doing now? If your still having issues let me know I will try and help you. If they are calm then not there is always a reason we just need to find it. Let me know bud.