Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,858

0 members and 2,858 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Should I take hide off while feeding?

I'm not sure if this is a dumb question but I just recently got a new ball python last week at a reptile show and I've tried feeding him but no luck. The first time he seems just scared of the f/t mouse. The other day he seemed more interested and sniffed it but then retreated to his hide. I held the mouse outside his hide for soooooo long because he seemed to be inching forward, and then he just gave up. I'm going to leave him alone until next Saturday. Each day I feel like I'm making his enclosure more secure and comfortable (I hope).

My question is, how should I go about feeding? Can I take his hide off him? Should I wait until he is out at night? What are some good tips for the first feeding after he is left alone?

I've gotten tips on how to get the mouse ready but how can I not scare him.

-worried mom

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If he's not eating when offered with a hide, removing the hide won't help either.

Did the seller/breeder tell you if he was eating f/t or live before? If he was eating f/t before and is now refusing, you could post a couple pics of your setup and what equipment you're using. If he was eating live, you may need to buy live rodents for now and it may take a few more tricks and some time to convert him to f/t.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-18-2017 at 07:07 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-19-2017),crosskira (06-18-2017),Dezoruba (06-18-2017)

Thanks

Re: Should I take hide off while feeding?

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    If he's not eating when offered with a hide, removing the hide won't help either.

Did the seller/breeder tell you if he was eating f/t or live before? If he was eating f/t before and is now refusing, you could post a couple pics of your setup and what equipment you're using. If he was eating live, you may need to buy live rodents for now and it may take a few more tricks and some time to convert him to f/t.
    Here is his setup!

I was using stuff the block a few of the sides of the glass but I just officially got foam board paper and blocked the three sides of the glass. He has two identical hides on the hot and cold side. I just added the plant on the right side (cool side) with the idea that it might block me from his view while feeding. Also, he LOVES the same plant that's on the hot side, he's sleeping there right now. Humidity is 56%, temp is always 78-85, I use my temp gun to check each side. He seems very happy!

The breeder I got him from assured me it was f/t. I was playing with him after I got him a bit but now I am going to leave him alone for the next week. I am just trying to see if there is anything I can do better to try to get him to strike the next time. It's only been a week so I am trying not to worry too much! It's just hard haha

5. The Following User Says Thank You to crosskira For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Let the snake get settled in. Each time you enter the tank to change something you disrupt that process. Leave things alone and try to feed again next week.

You shouldn't have to remove the hide. The most important thing when feeding FT is making it mimic live rodents. That means presenting them at just over 100F.

Relax and let the snake do the same.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

7. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

crosskira (06-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KMG View Post
    Let the snake get settled in. Each time you enter the tank to change something you disrupt that process. Leave things alone and try to feed again next week.

You shouldn't have to remove the hide. The most important thing when feeding FT is making it mimic live rodents. That means presenting them at just over 100F.

Relax and let the snake do the same.
    Haha I am probably unintentionally sending my stress signals to my snake. I feel like I have gotten everything secured. I kind of freaked in the beginning because some of the stuff I bought for him in the beginning didn't seem right, but since I was so new to having a snake it was a lot of worry, and research.

Good sign is he is very comfortable with me and never rolls up into a ball, just seems unsure of everything.

I will def leave him alone and let him do his thing!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My advice is to completely leave him alone for a week and try feeding again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

CALM Pythons (06-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,140 Times in 1,556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As others have stated, let him be for a week to fully adapt to his new surroundings, smells etc..

When feeding f/t make sure you are letting the rat thaw fully out. I'll explain what I do, which isn't the best if you have a lot of snakes but for a few it's not that difficult.

I take what I plan on feeding out in the morning, or depending work this can vary. I thaw pinkies and fuzzies out together and anything past that I thaw out with the stuff with more hair, because the fuzzies and pinkies thaw out faster. I generally put in a ziploc bag, then I let it sit for an hour or two, which is more than enough but I usually try to do stuff in the meantime. If it's larger, then two or three hours. After that I run the sink with hot water let it warm up, I fill a yetti style up(ozark) up then I put the ziploc bag in the cup and put the lid on with the top zip part out and that way the heat stays in and it heats everything up nicely. I let it sit for 10-20 minutes and then I feed. Some of my snakes I can just grab the tail and dangle it in front of them, but then others I have to get it between the shoulder blades behind the head and make it seem like it's crawling. Hope this helps.
    -Venomous-

1.0 - Naja siamensis - Zeus (Black & White Spitting Cobra)
    1.0 - Naja n. woodi - Hades (Black Spitting Cobra)
    0.1 - Naja nigricollis - Athena (Black-necked Spitting Cobra)

coming at some point in the future
    Naja annulata (Ringed Water Cobra)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Neal For This Useful Post:

crosskira (06-19-2017)

Thanks

Everyone has given you good advice, I don't feel the need to add to it. However I can't help but ask, why is there pepperoni/salami on the enclosure?

Sent from my 5056W using Tapatalk
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

BPnet Senior Member CALM Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,442 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
    Everyone has given you good advice, I don't feel the need to add to it. However I can't help but ask, why is there pepperoni/salami on the enclosure?

Hahahaha rotf.
    Leave the hide and dont disrupt the the way things are at all. Everytime you do its like starting over. Wait a week & try feeding again. If no go wait a week and try live if you want. That will usually jump start things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Name: Christian
    0.1 Albino Ball (Sophie)
    0.1 Russo White Diamond (Grace)
    1.0 Hypo Burmese (Giacomo/AKA Jock)
    1.2 Razors Edge/Gotti & American Pit Bull
    ----------
    1.1 Albino/Normal Burmese (Mr & Mrs Snake)
    1.0 Albino Ball (Sully)

Thanks

Not trying to derail the topic I just want to know what it is and why it's there.

2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast