Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 169

9 members and 160 guests
Most users ever online was 3,642, 05-08-2016 at 09:50 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 59,000
Threads: 228,880
Top Poster: JLC (31,652)
Welcome to our newest member, STLCardinals1992

» November 2017

S M T W T F S
29 30 31 1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 1 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,380 Times in 1,197 Posts
    Mimi, you will have many life changes within a few short years. It's only 2~3 years until you graduate and go to college. It sounds long to a teen, but that's short and worth the wait. I'd recommend you wait to get a ball python until you're settled in college and living somewhere that allows small pets. That way, it really is 100% your responsibility and your life and future are much more predictable. Time goes by fast!

I wanted a snake since I was 7, wanted a ball python since I was 12. My parents hate snakes, so I finally got one when I graduated college- literally 2 weeks after I moved out LOL. Now I've owned 9 snakes of various species!

They live for 30+ years- much longer than a dog or cat. You'll have the same one until you're 50 years old. Waiting a couple years is worth it.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-18-2017 at 08:23 PM.

Other Species
    Tanimbar Scrub Python "Pixie", 1.0 Russian Rat Snake "Jack"
    0.1 Dumeril's Boa "Vigil",
    0.1 2007 Aru Green Tree Python "Gem"
    Ball Pythons
    0.1 Sterling "Drizzle", 1.0 Albino "Cake", 1.0 Lesser Butter "Yukon"
    past: 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Super Pastel Calico, 0.1 Black Pastel

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

craigafrechette (06-18-2017),MissterDog (06-18-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-19-2017)

Thanks

Re: how to convince parents to let me get a bp?

Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    She is saying that since I don't really take care of the family cat that often (because she says it's supposedly my cat because I wanted it to be 'mine' when I was 10, which is easy to understand as many young children want pets to 'themselves', if you know what I mean haha). I've explained everything you need to take care of the snake and that I take care of it and I will make sure that she doesn't have to see it/the mice and rats, associate with it, or take care of it in any way (for mice and rats, I have a mini freezer in my room which I can keep them in, but she seems bothered which is confusing to me lol). However, she is still very angry at the fact I want one and doesn't believe I will be responsible for it, which I think is a bit immature on her end. Oh yeah, she thinks it smells too.
    Another one of her main points is "what will you do when you go to college?", which I have already explained. I have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety, which can allow me to qualify for the snake to be an emotional support animal (ESA), which colleges are authorized to accept, with a few exceptions. All domesticated animals may qualify as an ESA, including snakes. According to the Fair Housing Act, colleges/universities must make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities requiring ESAs. Whenever I mention this, she tries to ignore me.

How can I convince her that they aren't all that bad as she thinks they are? Please help!
    I have loved snakes and wanted a snake since I was 11 and saw and held a Burmese python at a reptile show at a campground we stayed at. My mother is afraid of them and doesn't care for them. So, I abided her wishes until I was 24 and had a place of my own to keep my snakes. Why? Because I respect my mother and her right to make rules for her home. Why should she have to be uncomfortable in her own home, paid for by money gained from her own hard work?? Now, when she makes comments about my snakes, I am free to ignore her, as it is my home, my money, and my rules.

Colleges may allow snakes on the grounds you listed, but you don't know that for sure. If you live in a dorm, you are subject to dorm rules. What if there are no roommates that want to share a room with your snake? Should the college have to lose money to house you alone in a single room because you have a snake? It is easy as a 15 year old to say "Why yes, this college MUST do this," but in all honesty you do not know this for sure.

Lastly, let's say you graduate college with said snake. You will then need to find a home for yourself. What if the apartments in the area you like most do not allow pets? Do you want to live in a worse/more dangerous/inconvenient area because you now have a snake? The post-college years offer a lot of changes. At 15 it is easy to think that "adults are mean" for saying you should wait, but it's just the plain truth.

Wait until you have your own home, and are your own master, paying your own way with a legitimate job. Then, do what you want to do. In the meantime, perhaps you could find a job at a store that sells snakes or reptiles, and really get a lot of good (paid) experience working with animals.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (06-19-2017),MissterDog (06-18-2017),PokeyTheNinja (06-19-2017)

Thanks

Re: how to convince parents to let me get a bp?

Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    All domesticated animals may qualify as an ESA, including snakes. According to the Fair Housing Act, colleges/universities must make reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities requiring ESAs.

Also, just as an FYI, I doubt a ball python would be considered "domesticated." Snakes have only been seriously kept as captives since the 60's/70's, and ball pythons a shorter time than that, even. Most people (and scientists) agree that they are not truly domesticated.
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (06-19-2017)

Thanks
    If I give you any additional advice, it would be to find another way to continue your passion and adoration for snakes. Just because your parents said that you can't get one, doesn't mean that you can't try to volunteer at a reptile rescue or get a job at a local pet shop. You might also be able to find breeders in your area that you can volunteer with (the worst they could do is say no). A rescue would be an especially good idea because all of those animals need knowledgeable volunteers and you sound like you'd be a great candidate. You could learn about other reptiles too.

As a person with anxiety and depression, all of my pets really help me out with it which makes me see where you are coming from in that regard. However, consider the fact that a university doesn't have to accept an exotic pet (or any animal other than a service animal) onto their campus. This might limit the options that you have for college.

Like others have stated, your snakes will be your buddies for several decades, so there's no rush. Wait until you have your own place and then keep and love as many snakes as you'd like. Don't let your passion die just because you can't have one now.13683
    My family <3

0.1 Candino BP - Sherbette "Sherbie"
    0.1 Super Fire Black Eyed Lucy BP - Custard "The General"
    1.0 Albino Butter BP - Butterscotch Macaroon "ButterMac"
    1.0 Havanese Dog - Fudge
    0.2 Doxiepoos Dog - Cookie & Muffin

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SherbieHerp For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (06-19-2017),Hypancistrus (06-21-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12