Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,188

2 members and 3,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question lots of questions + hypothetical questions + advice

hello, I have some general questions and even some hypothetical questions I would like to get opinions on. I have considered getting a ball python for a month or more now, and I still feel like I have a lot to learn. I am a very cautious person, so I would like to know as much as possible on ball python care. (I am aware of the bp.net care sheet. )

general questions:

1: is there a specific age when ball pythons become very docile? I know ball pythons are extremely calm, but I would also like to hold mine a few times a week for an hour or more. (Let me know if this is not an appropriate amount of time to hold a ball python.) I was wondering if there was a specific age (Hatchling, Sub-adult, Adult) when ball pythons tend to be the calmest they can be.

2: there is a lot of conflicting opinions on the internet about what tank size and material to use, and it's confusing me a little. I was leaning towards a 40+ gallon tank for a ball python, but I have a chilly room and I heard that glass does not hold heat very well. People were recommending tubs or plastic tubs for ball pythons. Do you recommend glass or plastic enclosures? Why?

3: Are there any trusted brands you recommend to me? Are there good books or sources?
    hypothetical questions:

1: I live in Canada. Our winters can be very harsh, and although it is rare, there can be extremely cold temperatures (-40*f and even -50*f one winter.) and blizzards that will potentially make it difficult to travel outside. I heard that ball pythons can go months without feeding, but I don't know if it is true and I wouldn't want to put my BP through that. I would definitely have a storage supply of rats, but in the event of a blizzard or extreme weather, how long could a BP go without food?

2. I am still very young, and I haven't finished high school yet. I plan to go to university and study complex topics like science and medical. I may be gone for 7 hours a day, or more when uni is hectic. I would hate to leave my ball python, but would it be okay without me? What is the maximum time they can be left alone? (I have also heard sad stories of people having to give up their ball pythons because of school, and I would never want to do that.)

3. I plan to study cancer and how to cure it when I am older, so I may need to travel frequently. I know that ball pythons can live for 25+ years, and that is a long time considering I am still in high school and my BP could potentially live until I am 30+. My main question I have is do ball pythons deal well with travelling? How often can you travel with them, and do planes accept them on flights? Is there a preferred way to travel with them that causes them the least amount of stress possible?

4. I still live with my family, and so far none of my family members are willing to feed my BP if I am away studying. This poses a major issue for me. Is there a way I could maybe change my families opinions? I have honestly tried to tell them that ball pythons are calm and gentle snakes, but my mom threatens to throw them across the room. (Gosh.) And with all that I have told you, do you think I should even consider getting one anymore? I have always loved snakes and unusual things, but with all of my plans and my family my chances seem to be getting slimmer.

I hope that my long personal questions weren't too boring! Thank you very much for answering. Have a great day/evening.

Registered User footballpythons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: lots of questions + hypothetical questions + advice

I'll answer number 2 due to my personal experience of having ball pythons in highschool. Ball pythons do not need attention like a dog and I personally think ball pythons are the best pets for high school. I am in high school now and I have had two ball pythons for 4 years with no problems. They can be left alone for a month and not have any problems. So good luck to you and hope you cure cancer!

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Thanks

My best suggestion is to wait until you are done w university and settled into your own place and life. You are going to be busy, and you wont likely have proper time IMO. OP above state they can be left alone for a month and have no problems. This is simply not true, a problem could still come up when you are not on watch, therefor, I do not reccomend this as a responsible option or choice. Wait till you have your life together and dont have to worry about lack of time and the animal potentially not getting the care it deserves.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    *Jeanne*

"To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeanne For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-17-2017)

Thanks

I'll try and answer a couple in order and numbered.

1: They are like most animals and have a range of personalities but mostly they are docile. Babies might be slightly more aggressive, emphasis on slightly. When you first get your BP leave it be for a week or two. So it gets used to it's new environment, then handle it. Most likely it will ball up you can gently graze your finger over the exposed areas of belly and coax it out. Try to keep the first handling short.

2: It really depends on if you want to see your snake in it's cage. If you don't a tub is probably best, due to keeping the humidity at it's proper levels.

3: if you are looking for a tank (so you can have a pretty display) then I like my Exo Terra. Tubs are generally all about the same. For heating I recommend either belly or side heat with a thermostat to greatly reduce possible burns. There are a lot, and I do mean a lot, of brands out there. I have heard great things about flex watt heat tape (heat source) and Vivarium Electronics (thermostat). The best information is generally here or a local breeder, I haven't looked for a lot of books on BPs.

Hypothetical

1: they can go without food for awhile. That being said I would stock up before winter hits plan for a rat a week. Some BPs will fast during the winter and go a month or two without eating. If they don't loose a lot of weight, no big deal. Otherwise check your husbandry, if you are ok on that it might be time for assist feeding or possibly a visit to a good vet.

2: max time I would leave my snakes is a week. Best case scenario some one checks on them once. But I generally check on them once a day and handle them mid week between feedings.

3: I wouldn't regularly travel with a bp. It's stressful for the animal and it's going to cause issues with feeding. That isn't even considering the cost of mailing yourself snakes all the time.

4: I wouldn't push your mom, it's not going to help. However try find a Reptile zoo or a regular zoo so your mom can see the snakes. And do some homework so you can show her that you have a real interest. If it doesn't work well wait until you move out, after University when you wont be going home every summer, and get one. I don't mean to discourage you on being a doctor, but you may change your mind. I most definitely did not end up where I thought I would when I was in highschool. But the main thing is if it can't happen now there is always the future.

Sent from my 5056W using Tapatalk
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    My two cents is to wait until you're at least a few years into college and settled down a bit. A LOT of life happens in the next few years and with your goals and aspirations (impressive, by the way) I think it would be wise to hold off. You're going to be EXTREMELY busy the next few years with enough on your plate as it is. You're going to need to find ways to get some down time and relax, so the less additional stuff on your plate the better. You've got a lot of life to live and plenty of time to commit to a pet you'll have for 25+ years down the road.

...and great job putting in the forethought to think ahead like that and ask these questions, it shows maturity and you should pat yourself on the back.

Good luck!!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Jeanne (06-18-2017)