Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 834

0 members and 834 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Greetings with a new blood python!

Hello from South Korea!

Until now, I've had a mexican black kingsnake for about a year, and a ball python for about 3 months.
    However, I wanted to get a bigger and rewarding snake for myself.
    I started to do some research for getting a blood python, and frequently looked up in this site for info.
    Now that I've gotten her(or him) about 3 weeks, I decided to join in.
    But I do still have some questions left unanswered for myself.

1. How am I supposed to know the sex of my blood python?
    2. Am I using an appropriate sized enclosure?
    3. Will my blood python turn red after some aging?

P.S. How do I upload pics on this site? I'll add pics when someone tells me how

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Sexing them is best done by a breeder or someone experienced, they aren't the easiest to determine from what I've read.

Enclosure size-no idea, don't know what you are using or how big yours is, bloodpythons.com has good info on caging and everything else if you haven't checked that site out yet.

Color change is hard to judge, looking at the parents is the best indicator, bloods are all about line breeding to enhance coloration. If you don't know the background it's more of a wait and see surprise.

Tapatalk is easiest to upload if you are on mobile, I think there's a thread on how to somewhere around if you search or check stickys. I've used photobucket also.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks

Re: Greetings with a new blood python!

I've finally got the tapatalk working.
    Thanks for the help.
    This is my new blood python Hex, and his/her enclosure.

나의 SHV-E330K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chasiorias For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (06-12-2017)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    Looks very nice, I really like the pattern by the tail. Enclosure size looks fine, I'd crumple up some more paper over if you aren't already for security. I give mine hides and they use them for the most part, my older blood prefers to just burrow in the substrate.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoingPostal View Post
    Looks very nice, I really like the pattern by the tail. Enclosure size looks fine, I'd crumple up some more paper over if you aren't already for security. I give mine hides and they use them for the most part, my older blood prefers to just burrow in the substrate.
    Thank you.
    I am using crumpled up newspaper as a hide, and he/she usually stays there, only sticking his/her head out.
    It looks really silly watching that.

나의 SHV-E330K 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Thanks
    Hi nice blood there That bowl will get tipped over very easily I would suggest a square type or heavy type of bowl that has more of a base , also bare in mind bloods love to soak in the the water especially leading up to a shed so best to provide the largest you can manage in the enclosure without taking over the floor space.

that enclosure will be too small pretty soon they grow fast, go for something longer and a bit more shallow in terms of depth IMO. Also a hide is a must to reduce stress especially if there is a lot of traffic where it is kept. Bump the humidity up pre shed time to assist in the process. Get it on rats ASAP if not already.

They are pretty vocal so dont be alarmed if they hiss and puff when you take them out and I suggest you take them out regular as a youngster as you want them well handled by the time they are an adult trust me.

Very nice snakae though congrats they are great snakes with their own characater and amazing eyes that follow you around .

Also best method of sexing is probing but you need to get some one ( breeder or vet etc ) to do it for you if you dont have experience doing this. The colour should be at its peak by around 3 years old.

snakey.
    Last edited by snakey68; 06-13-2017 at 03:57 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
    There is a moose loose aboot this hoose !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakey68 View Post
    Hi nice blood there That bowl will get tipped over very easily I would suggest a square type or heavy type of bowl that has more of a base , also bare in mind bloods love to soak in the the water especially leading up to a shed so best to provide the largest you can manage in the enclosure without taking over the floor space.

that enclosure will be too small pretty soon they grow fast, go for something longer and a bit more shallow in terms of depth IMO. Also a hide is a must to reduce stress especially if there is a lot of traffic where it is kept. Bump the humidity up pre shed time to assist in the process. Get it on rats ASAP if not already.

They are pretty vocal so dont be alarmed if they hiss and puff when you take them out and I suggest you take them out regular as a youngster as you want them well handled by the time they are an adult trust me.

Very nice snakae though congrats they are great snakes with their own characater and amazing eyes that follow you around .

Also best method of sexing is probing but you need to get some one ( breeder or vet etc ) to do it for you if you dont have experience doing this. The colour should be at its peak by around 3 years old.

snakey.

Thank you for your compliments and concerns.
    He/she is already feeding on f/t rats without any problems.
    Yes, I am preparing for a new waterdish at the moment, probably a plastic container large enough.
    But by the size of the enclosure, how big do you recommend?
    This tub is the biggest plastic box I could find in my region.
    Maybe I should try to make one then?
    And when should I move it to a bigger enclosure?
    Last edited by chasiorias; 06-13-2017 at 11:10 PM.