Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,747

5 members and 2,742 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks

Re: Bubbles around mouth

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    Your snake needs to be seen by a vet. It is not at all recommended to try to treat a respiratory infection on your own. Use this website to find a reptile veterinarian in your area: http://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661.

It is also important to note that tea tree oil is toxic to reptiles. You should never ever use tree oils (or any other essential oil) around your snake, or handle the snake after applying the oils to your body/hair.
    Do you think the tree oil could be the root of the problem? He has showed no other signs of a RI BEFORE today when he came into contact with the tea tree oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mlededee View Post
    There is a BIG difference between getting something in your mouth and breathing it into your lungs.
    There is... When at the pool do you smell chemicals? Thats because youre breathing them in. He came here looking for advice, I have kept snakes for almost 20 years, and offered my experience, amd bred for the last 6. I have had more than a few instances of respiratory infections and spent a lot of money at veterinarians, only to have them do the same things I was already doing.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Thanks

And apparently I cant grammar when I am distracted... But you get the idea

Thanks
    Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dylan815 View Post
    Do you think the tree oil could be the root of the problem? He has showed no other signs of a RI BEFORE today when he came into contact with the tea tree oil.
    Usually when a snake comes into contact with an essential oil the symptoms are more neurological, but it might be a possibility. I would keep a very close eye on the snake for any other unusual behavior--moving oddly, weakness, loss of coordination, seizures, etc. If you see anything like that you should rush the snake to a vet immediately. I would recommend bathing the snake in a bath with some blue Dawn dish soap diluted in it to remove any oil that might have gotten on its skin. Rinse well after the bath.
    - Emily

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

xotikpetz (06-15-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xotikpetz View Post
    There is... When at the pool do you smell chemicals? Thats because youre breathing them in. He came here looking for advice, I have kept snakes for almost 20 years, and offered my experience, amd bred for the last 6. I have had more than a few instances of respiratory infections and spent a lot of money at veterinarians, only to have them do the same things I was already doing.
    Smelling chemicals and vaporizing those chemicals into the air and breathing them in are different things. Yes, just by smelling them you do get a small amount into your lungs, but not a therapeutic amount that would treat an RI. Can you imagine if you vaporized straight chlorine into the air and inhaled it? That would have a much different affect on your body than simply smelling it because the water you were swimming in was treated with chlorine.

Respiratory infections in snakes are variable and seeking the help of a veterinarian that can do a culture and prescribe the appropriate antibiotic is the recommended approach to treating them.
    - Emily

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-15-2017),JodanOrNoDan (06-16-2017)

Thanks

Well... All that being said, I offered advice, shared my experience, and was criticized for it, which is why I hesitate to offer help online. I hope you get it all figured out OP. Gonna stop following this thread now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xotikpetz View Post
    Well... All that being said, I offered advice, shared my experience, and was criticized for it, which is why I hesitate to offer help online. I hope you get it all figured out OP. Gonna stop following this thread now.

Please don't stop following the thread. Any j formation is good. We're al here to double check each other so we can formulate better responses to questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1.0 Normal BP
    1.0 Mainland Reticulated
    1.0 High lines Red Tail Boa

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dylan815 For This Useful Post:

xotikpetz (06-15-2017)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We are all here to offer advice and share our experience. That doesn't mean that we have to agree on everything.
    - Emily

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mlededee For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-15-2017),dylan815 (06-15-2017)

Thanks

I've only had to deal with ri 3 times all three were successfully treated by fogging f10. That being said all 3 were also followed up by vet visits. If doing f10 for ri it has to be started very early, usually if the snake is bubbling at the mouth it's too far along for f10 and needs to be seen by a vet immediately. Secondly if your serious about your reptiles and emergency fund should be set up. even if you only drop 10 dollars a paycheck into a shoebox and don't touch it eventually it will build up for these unforseen events in this expensive hobby.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123