Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,584

0 members and 2,584 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Re: How to quickly get a snake to release you (after feeding response wrap)?

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    White vinegar works, just keep a cotton ball or paper towel soaked with it in a container in the snake room. In case of a food-response bit you can put it right in front of the snake's nose. Even my retics back off when they smell it. Save the gin/vodka for yourself for afterward.
    I often heard of Listerine used but never white vinegar before! Should it be diluted with water or just have a cotton/rag soaked with it full blast?
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anything alcohol based will release the bite. But the wrap....you or someone else will have to start at the tail and unwrap from there.
    - Mason

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    -
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll keep a white vinegar bottle and cotton balls in the snake area now, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I often heard of Listerine used but never white vinegar before! Should it be diluted with water or just have a cotton/rag soaked with it full blast?
    In dire situations, probably would go full blast HAHA. Can't cautiously dilly daddle anymore.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-12-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    -
    Thanks for the replies everyone! I think I'll keep a white vinegar bottle and cotton balls in the snake area now, just in case.

In dire situations, probably would go full blast HAHA. Can't cautiously dilly daddle anymore.
    Haha good to know. I'm probably going to store white vinegar bottle myself and label it "gtfo snek!"
    Last edited by MissterDog; 06-12-2017 at 03:57 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    Haha good to know. I'm probably going to store white vinegar bottle myself and label it "gtfo snek!"
    Right!! LOL omg I'll do that to my bottle too, it's like cherry on top decor.

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Unwrap a snake tail first (or farthest rear area you can) as mentioned.

I've only had one full bite and wrap (SFE) and it was my adult female boa, I used my free hand to grasp behind her head as a lot of time if they bite and don't let go, that's all it takes. She was not letting go, so I decided dunking her in water would be the next step as she was wrapping up my entire arm. I dragged her out of the cage and as soon as we got out of the room and away from the rat smell, she let go of the bite. I was then able to let go of her head and use my free hand to unwrap her, then back into the enclosure she went.

I always worried alcohol or listerine or foreign liquid dumped on or over the head might end up getting in the glottis and cause more issues later. Also someone said put hot water on the body? eep I don't think I'd do that either.
    I could see the strong smell of any of those, and vinegar, near the head might be enough to make it let go however.

Hopefully you won't have to deal with it again! An aboreal still anchored on a branch, you may end up having to take the snake and branch with you in order to get it to let go!
    For the Horde!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I just use the white vinegar full blast. Bear in mind you're not dripping/spraying it on the snake, just waving the cotton ball or paper towel close to their nose. I guess if you know that your snake is being stupidly foody you could rub a drop or two on your hands before opening the enclosure - but then the snake may not hit the feeder either, the smell is that strong.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    Also someone said put hot water on the body? eep I don't think I'd do that either.
    Yeah, a couple people vouched for it! I'm assuming not HOT hot, just warm to our touch, or the snake might get injured for real! I guess I'll remember that as a last resort though, if the white vinegar or cold water doesn't work first.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Yeah, a couple people vouched for it! I'm assuming not HOT hot, just warm to our touch, or the snake might get injured for real! I guess I'll remember that as a last resort though, if the white vinegar or cold water doesn't work first.
    The problem here though is that if your snake's enclosure isn't on the same level as a full bathroom then you have to walk all over your house, and maybe up or down the stairs, with a large snake latched on to you. Moving more than a few feet in any direction may not be possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12