Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,116

0 members and 3,116 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Question How to quickly get a snake to release you (after feeding response wrap)?

I suddenly realized that this is a thing I don't know about (I made a post in my GTP's photo thread about something wild that happened! Nothing to do with feeding response, but it's a strong tight wrap all the same)

For those with any larger, muscular snakes... If they do a feeding response and wrap your arm or fingers (for example) and it is quickly cutting off circulation/a dire kind of situation, how do you quickly get them to release or loosen their grip? I know the listerine method, dabbing it on their mouths, but that only releases their jaws. I had assumed before that when they release their jaws, their bodies will loosen, and everything will be fine. But that may not always be the case.

Assuming the rest of their body is still tightly wrapped about you and they aren't letting go like usual, what do you do? Let's say the tightness of their grip isn't something you can just "wait out", and it's quickly causing you injury.

I'm also curious if there are more/different methods for giant species like burms and retics?

And what would be your last resort, if the snake really isn't letting go after all methods have been tried?
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-11-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Thanks
    Well, I'm guessing by "larger" you mean something bigger than this, but my 6-foot long meaty RTB tried to kill my arm once or twice when he was first starting to get sick with IBD. It took me completely by surprise, he bit my hand and literally threw his coils at my arm and wrapped around it before I could react. I'm 5'8" and was around 150 lbs at the time, and before he got sick he was really nice and tame (I even used him as an educational animal around small children, so did his previous owner), yet I wasn't comfortable having him out unless another adult was present. I tend to err on the side of caution in general. So when he did bite my hand and constrict my arm (he was definitely serious about it, he cut off circulation), my dad was easily able to unwrap him backwards (starting with his tail) with both his hands. I'm not sure how easy it would have been to do it by myself with only one free hand/arm. Someone had told me about the backwards unwrapping trick a long time ago. They said that it works so well because a snake's muscles aren't optimized to squeeze in that direction.

Melissa Kaplan says "No one should ever attempt to handle a large snake (eight feet or more) by himself". I do hope people are following that guideline, and the "one handler for every five feet of snake" one, too.
    Sarah G.
    -----------

1.1 Ball Pythons, Kermit & Lily | 0.1 Corn Snake, Princess Coils | 1.0 Betta Fish, Orchid | 9.4 Goldfish | 1.0 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure, Gremlin | 0.1 Carolina Dog, Foxy | 0.1 Cat, Blaze

3. The Following User Says Thank You to silverdreams For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply! Lol a 6 foot RTB still sounds pretty strong, a 6~8 foot thick snake just being more serious. I heard the unwrapping from the tail thing too today, and it makes sense.

I wish my GTP weren't so long. She had her tail end still wrapped around her perch, and her front end was wrapped three times around my fingers and wrist.

I was told in another group that pouring water on their head works too, with warm~hot water being even faster than cold, if you're still stuck in a bad place.

Quote Originally Posted by silverdreams View Post
    Melissa Kaplan says "No one should ever attempt to handle a large snake (eight feet or more) by himself". I do hope people are following that guideline, and the "one handler for every five feet of snake" one, too.

I believe that! I suddenly feel too weak and thin! LOL. Some of these snakes are so strong.

Thanks
    I'd heard that liquor does the trick, pour a bit around their mouth, or just pour it over their head if the situation is dire - but i can not confirm it, its just something i've heard a few times.
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dkatz4 For This Useful Post:

redshepherd (06-12-2017)

Thanks

Re: How to quickly get a snake to release you (after feeding response wrap)?

Quote Originally Posted by dkatz4 View Post
    I'd heard that liquor does the trick, pour a bit around their mouth, or just pour it over their head if the situation is dire - but i can not confirm it, its just something i've heard a few times.
    I heard that too, I guess a similar kind of reaction to listerine. Apparently it doesn't work right away or at all for certain snakes. :\ People with large snakes in my group were vouching for pouring hot water on their bodies as being instant (not too hot of course).
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-11-2017 at 11:25 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    I heard that too, I guess a similar kind of reaction to listerine. Apparently it doesn't work right away or at all for certain snakes. :\ People with large snakes in my group were vouching for pouring hot water on their bodies as being instant (not too hot of course).
    hmm, i've never heard of that one, it may very well work, but my qualm is the obvious one: I'm being constricted by a large snake to point of possible serious harm, guess i'll go put the tea on...
    1.0 Central American BI: Irwin
    0.1 Jungle, het snow BI: Gimel
    1.0 green albino, het granite Burm: Dr. Waffles
    1.0 Betta fish: Convertible
    1.1 cats: Tipitina (Tipi) and Professor Longhair (Fess)
    0.1 Egyptian baladi dog: Toasty

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dkatz4 View Post
    hmm, i've never heard of that one, it may very well work, but my qualm is the obvious one: I'm being constricted by a large snake to point of possible serious harm, guess i'll go put the tea on...
    Oh gosh, I laughed at that imagery LOL. I do think they meant running under hot water like in the bath faucet!
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-11-2017 at 11:51 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

MJ_Bosley (06-12-2017)

Thanks
    I would just run through different options and see what works at the time and do your best to prevent the wrap as it is happening. From my experience different things have worked for different snakes. about 10 years ago I had accidentally startled my 12ft burm and she turned around and latched onto my hand, it was not a feeding response. I was able to keep it to only a few coils going around my arm, liquor did not work(vodka, tequila), Listerine did not work but I didn't try running water because she was a little to heavy to move. I sat there for about 20 minutes until she finally decided to let go and then it was back to normal.(my sister was home at the time and grabbed me the alcohol and Listerine)

Last year my adult female BP grabbed my hand out of nowhere, it was not a feeding day, but it appeared to be a feeding response to me, I guess my hairy had looked tasty, lol. I did the running water trick and she was off in a couple minutes.

The most important thing to do is to remain calm at all times so that you are able to make sound decisions, even though you may be in pain. I was lucky enough to have my daughter present when my BP bit me and I was able to show her this lesson and talk her through the whole thing.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aztec4mia For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-12-2017),redshepherd (06-12-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Stay calm, that way you can assess the situation and decide on a course of action. Don't jerk around...you know how we all yank the ft a few times to get the snake to commit...don't do that with h your hand or arm.
    In my GTP cage, I have Ben's bars set into holders, not screwed into the walls. Not only does that facilitate cleaning, but it made it very easy to lift the snake and bar out the the door when he grabbed and wrapped me. Because I could travel, I was able to go sit down and I wound him back around his bar, like your grandma used to spool wrap her yarn.
    I think that worked because I was moving his body, and he was out of his cage, but he was attached to his bar, and he didn't know what the heck was going on. Lol
    I've had snakes wrap too tightly, but not bite... DRMB, Cuban Boa, my really big BP girl... offering a chair back to coil around from the front while unwinding the tail works well for me.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DLena For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-12-2017),Miss Mayhem (06-12-2017),redshepherd (06-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,842 Times in 4,771 Posts
    White vinegar works, just keep a cotton ball or paper towel soaked with it in a container in the snake room. In case of a food-response bit you can put it right in front of the snake's nose. Even my retics back off when they smell it. Save the gin/vodka for yourself for afterward.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

DLena (06-12-2017),jmcrook (06-17-2017),MJ_Bosley (06-12-2017),redshepherd (06-12-2017),se7en (06-12-2017),ShaneSilva (06-12-2017),silverdreams (06-13-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast