Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,754

4 members and 2,750 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Thanks

New boa doesnt use hides...

So im new to Boas, just got our first and im use to our BP spending all her time in her hides. Our new boa is a baby and she doesnt seem to ever use her hides. It that normal for a boa? She hangs out on both sides of the tank so its not like she seems bothered by one side or the other.

Her setup; Currently a 20x10x10" screen top (this will change before she needs something bigger). I have covered and insulated three sides as well as half the top. She has a heat pad with a thermostat set to 90 with an ir cheramic heater over the same side (temp is 85 on average on warm side). I got ger two identical hides, one placed over her heat pad and the other on the cold side. In addition to that there is a small piece of "drift wood" and fake vegitation.
    Last edited by Bennie1986; 06-08-2017 at 07:57 PM.
    0.1 Normal BP
    0.1 Colombian Boa

Thanks
    I keep my boas at an ambient temp that fluctuates between 78 at night to 85 during the day on average without hot spot. (I've found just using ambient temps to work best for me). But in my experience some of my boas use hides and others don't. It just depends on the individual snake. But you will probably find boas do not use hides as much a some other species. As long as husbandry is right I wouldn't worry to much about no using hides.
    Last edited by fndjason4; 06-08-2017 at 09:04 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fndjason4 For This Useful Post:

Bennie1986 (06-08-2017)

Thanks

Re: New boa doesnt use hides...

Quote Originally Posted by Bennie1986 View Post
    So im new to Boas, just got our first and im use to our BP spending all her time in her hides. Our new boa is a baby and she doesnt seem to ever use her hides. It that normal for a boa? She hangs out on both sides of the tank so its not like she seems bothered by one side or the other.

Her setup; Currently a 20x10x10" screen top (this will change before she needs something bigger). I have covered and insulated three sides as well as half the top. She has a heat pad with a thermostat set to 90 with an ir cheramic heater over the same side (temp is 85 on average on warm side). I got ger two identical hides, one placed over her heat pad and the other on the cold side. In addition to that there is a small piece of "drift wood" and fake vegitation.
    my boy is the same stays up top on his cave...i dont even mind that he wont use it...i enjoy watching what hes upto unlike my BP...such a moody bish lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerries For This Useful Post:

Bennie1986 (06-08-2017)

Thanks

Re: New boa doesnt use hides...

Quote Originally Posted by Aerries View Post
    my boy is the same stays up top on his cave...i dont even mind that he wont use it...i enjoy watching what hes upto unlike my BP...such a moody bish lol
    I agree, i love seeing my pet for a change lol! Im just trying to make sure im not screwing something up.
    0.1 Normal BP
    0.1 Colombian Boa