Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,345

1 members and 1,344 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,529
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

My Bredli spends alot of time in hides.

My Bredli spends a lot, if not most, of his time in his hides. I have handled him much less this past month because I do not want to pull him from them. Especially his rock hide that he wraps pretty snugly into.

He is in a 66 qt Sterilite tub with a UTH. This past week I taped black construction paper around 3 sides to see if that helped him feel secure. It has not seemed to help.

Every night at dusk when the BPs come out of their hides to explore, he remains hidden. Prior to this, if I did walk in the room and turn on the light he would freeze and then slowly work his way back into a hide. The BPs continue to explore for hours.

Not sure what to do, his temps by the temp gun seem to be correct and he continues to eat each week.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks

Re: My Bredli spends alot of time in hides.

Well, I guess just writing this brought me to action. While the kids had the BPs out I cleaned their enclosures and switched the Bredli into one of them. Its a starter kit glass enclosure with screen top and UTH. I have been wanting to make this switch for awhile as I think my pastel could use the extra humidity of the tub and I can now get a UV lamp for the Bredli.

Hopefully, the 2 days to acclimate is enough to keep everyone on their feeding schedule.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Thanks
    What's his light cycle like? How bright is his container? How much traffic goes by his container?

For comparison... My diamond/jungle stays in her hide all day. NEVER once seen her out of it in daylight unless I took her out myself. The container is glass but put in a somewhat dimmer part of the room.

I've got a timer on the UTH and heat light which turns off at 8:30pm. A while after this turns off (say 9pm or so) she will always come out and move to her branch where she'll hang out as far as I know all night long. My wife tells me that at 5am she's still out on the branch. Once the lights start coming on in the house, I assume she packs it in and retreats to the hide again, she's definitely no longer out by around 7:30am. If I come out late at night and turn on some nearby lights, it does not seem to bother her - she stays out.

If he's eating fine then at least his stress level can't be TOO much. He may grow out of it as he gets bigger, or it may just be individual personality variations.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dboeren For This Useful Post:

rock (06-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    What's his light cycle like? How bright is his container? How much traffic goes by his container?

For comparison... My diamond/jungle stays in her hide all day. NEVER once seen her out of it in daylight unless I took her out myself. The container is glass but put in a somewhat dimmer part of the room.

I've got a timer on the UTH and heat light which turns off at 8:30pm. A while after this turns off (say 9pm or so) she will always come out and move to her branch where she'll hang out as far as I know all night long. My wife tells me that at 5am she's still out on the branch. Once the lights start coming on in the house, I assume she packs it in and retreats to the hide again, she's definitely no longer out by around 7:30am. If I come out late at night and turn on some nearby lights, it does not seem to bother her - she stays out.

If he's eating fine then at least his stress level can't be TOO much. He may grow out of it as he gets bigger, or it may just be individual personality variations.
    Good questions. Light cycle is natural. I leave the blinds open as the spare room/office is in the northeast corner of our house and protected by trees. Very little traffic in the room day or night.

I do not have a timer on the UTH. I will add one when I add the UV lamp. I did think the tub might have trapped in too much ambient heat as he did prefer the cool side but would use the warm side hide as well.

The tub was opaque until I covered the sides this week.

The glass enclosure now has the same set up but should be cooler. The glass front is, of course, much clearer in the front which is nice to see him with more clarity now but it's anybody's guess how he responds.

Nice to get an update on your diamond/jungle. Happy he is using his perch during the night.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Thanks
    Yeah, if you swapped his enclosure then I wouldn't mess with anything else until he gets accustomed to it for a while. Just wait and see how it goes but as long as he's eating I wouldn't be too worried.

For hides, I like to give several choices with both heated and unheated options. Mine usually hangs out in the warm hide. It's actually a long log that's halfway over the UTH so she can go to the cooler side if she wants without leaving the hide.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
    Yeah, if you swapped his enclosure then I wouldn't mess with anything else until he gets accustomed to it for a while. Just wait and see how it goes but as long as he's eating I wouldn't be too worried.

For hides, I like to give several choices with both heated and unheated options. Mine usually hangs out in the warm hide. It's actually a long log that's halfway over the UTH so she can go to the cooler side if she wants without leaving the hide.
    I agree. Hope he likes the new set up and I'll wait for any add-ons. The log is a great idea.
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

@ Rock- I would have to agree that my Bredli hides more than my other Morelia as well. He's usually in his warm hide during the day but I don't think I've ever seen him in his cool side hide. He does comes out onto his perch most nights though unless he's digesting a meal. My carpets will perch or just lay in the open most the time. I'm hoping both of our Bredli become more outgoing as they grow.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    Is he getting ready to shed? All of my snakes become antisocial when they are starting to shed. It's the easiest way i can tell they are getting ready to shed as i have 3 white snakes.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    I'd have to go back and open up my copy of THE COMPLETE CARPET PYTHON, but from what I remember speaking to Nick Mutton, he said Bredli tend to find old tree hollows and spend there time in them.

My coastal usually sits on top of her hide on the warm side during the day. When in shed of early digestion, she will go into her hide for a few days.

In the evening until morning she is usually climbing on her perches.

When you have the time and the funds, I'm sure your Bredli will display better for you in a larger plastic cage. Right now, I think you are doing the right thing and shouldn't worry.

Bredli are from the really hot, dry part of OZ, so I'm not surprised that during the day, there would be minimal activity in the open.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EL-Ziggy View Post
    @ Rock- I would have to agree that my Bredli hides more than my other Morelia as well. He's usually in his warm hide during the day but I don't think I've ever seen him in his cool side hide. He does comes out onto his perch most nights though unless he's digesting a meal. My carpets will perch or just lay in the open most the time. I'm hoping both of our Bredli become more outgoing as they grow.
    Thanks, Zig, good to know. I wonder if switching to a Radiant Heat Panel for his permanent enclosure will help promote basking during the day?
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast