Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,948

2 members and 2,946 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

BRB Temperament Survey

In all my research before getting my male Brazilian rainbow boa, I saw mention that they can be nippy and aggressive. Mine is now six months old (had him 5 months), and he's actually my most chill and docile snake. He's never made a move to bite, even on feeding day, despite having the best feeding response in my collection. I handle him maybe once or twice a week, and he just lets me pick him up with no issues. He calmly sits for maybe 5-10 minutes, then slowly explores. I also have 2 corns and 2 ball pythons (none of them have ever tried to strike either, but they're very active when I first pick them up). Am I just lucky? What has been everyone else's personal experience with this species?
    Leilani- corn snake (butter tesserra)
    Keahi- corn snake (sunglow motley)
    Pololena- ball python (banana)
    Ichtaka- ball python (mystic potion)
    Wonambi- Brazilian rainbow boa (normal)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

I'd like to know

I'd like to know the answer to this question. I have always wanted a brb, but people keep telling me they are very nippy. I know it's luck sometimes, but how nippy are they usually?

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    They tend to be nippy as babies/yearlings but in general are docile calm as adults.
    OP sounds like you got lucky!

edit to add - they are small though as babies and don't have large heads so the bites are nothing to really worry about
    Last edited by AbsoluteApril; 06-06-2017 at 01:02 PM.
    For the Horde!

Thanks

Re: BRB Temperament Survey

Mine is about 7 months old, and I've had him about 2.5 months. He's never even tried to bite, never saw him strike at all. He let's me handle him fine, I usually hold him for about 10 - 15 minutes twice a week. Doesn't seem at all phased when I have to move him to clean or refill his water. He only strikes at his food and constricts about 50% of the time, the rest of the time he waits for me to set the prey down (f/t) and then gently pulls it into his hide. He's definitely very sweet.

Thanks
    Mine is close to a year old now and I've had her about 7 months... She was not nippy when purchased (from a show) and is still very shy and not nippy. She does not relish being handled though and eagerly goes back to her tub when given the chance.
    Currently keeping:
    1.0 BCA 1.0 BCI
    1.0 CA BCI 1.1 BCLs
    0.1 BRB 1.2 KSBs
    1.0 Carpet 0.5 BPs
    0.2 cresteds 1.2 gargs
    1.0 Leachie 0.0.1 BTS

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: BRB Temperament Survey

I have only owned Colombian RBs. My first was a wild caught adult, which was extremely defensive. Captive raised babies were pretty mellow. So IMO, the nippy reputation may be a holdover from the times when almost all captive RBs were wild caught adults. There are a number of species that have bad reputations for that reason (eastern diamondback rattlesnake, pine/bull/gopher snakes, North American water snakes, etc.).

For what it's worth, a friend of mine has bred BRBs. His adult snakes are puppy dog tame.