Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,173

0 members and 3,173 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Ball python outside

I got my girl. Around a week ago, and i got everything good. I have the plastic container inside my closet. my dad doesn't want the snake inside the house and wants me to put the enclosure outisde in the shade. I am very concerned about this. Can i do this? I live in Brownsville, Texas so its mostly in the 80's or 90's. I have a ball python (dont think i said that). Would i be able to put her in the shade outside inside her enclosure where no sunlight or rain can get there? Inside the house its always in the 70's. Thank you- Hector

Thanks

Re: Ball python outside

In my honest opinion that's not a good idea, I knew a guy who put his boa next to his window and no more than a day later it was dead from the heat of the sunlight, even if placed in a shadow other animals can come up to it and harrass it, move the box, cats or dogs might pee near the box, you cant connect anything electric outside and your ball python might need a regulated temperature if it gets too cold which might be very likely at night and if a storm come along it could be deadly. To sum it up its definitely not a good idea.

To reassure your father Id make absolutely sure that there is no way the bp can escape, in a tub its easy if the lid has clasps maybe put something on top of it for further reassureance. If this is that bad of a problem that it cannot be negotiated or talked through I would with heavy heart suggest rehoming your ball python.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks

My parents also didn't alow a snake in the house, I moved out years ago and got my snake recently. They are happy with it now when they see it will not escape or hurt me or them. Show them nice snake videos and online stories and do the psihology on them.
    Good luck.
    Captive snakes dont belong outside with no electrics and controlled heat,
    I agree with LiadanCroft.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    Living in Houston I can not recommend putting your snake outside, even in the shade. It is going to be getting much to hot for your snake.

I would print out a good Care-Sheet and show your dad the snake needs an ambient temp much lower than the heat of Texas. Even the ideal hotspot is cooler than our summer temps.........even in the shade.

Arm yourself with knowledge so you can make your case and save your snake. Part of this should be to assure him your BP poses no danger and is not the monster many people believe them to be. People fear what they do not know. Teach him and remove his fears.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I would definitely say NO to keeping your BP outside. I can only imagine the number of bad outcomes possible with that setup.

I hate to say it, but you gotta listen to your Dad. If he doesn't want the snake in his house you shouldn't have brought it home. Now you either need to find a way to change his mind (tread lightly, it's his house) or re-home the animal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (06-02-2017)

Thanks

Thank you all. I will show your responses to my dad to confirm him that it's a bad idea. I just need him to get used to it and see me with it. It's really docile. He had an iguana when he was young and he had it indoors. I'll bring that up and the fact that it can't escape.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hector108 View Post
    Thank you all. I will show your responses to my dad to confirm him that it's a bad idea. I just need him to get used to it and see me with it. It's really docile. He had an iguana when he was young and he had it indoors. I'll bring that up and the fact that it can't escape.
    Make sure it CAN'T escape though. Is your enclosure properly secured?

Also, is your husbandry on point?

Thanks

I agree with everyone else on the no no to housing the snake outside. Does your dad want the snake outside because he is worried the snake may escape? If that's the case seeing as you have her in a rubbermaid, have you bought a luggage strap? I bought one for my rubbermaid when I first got my snake and I use it when I'm gone for long....just incase. That could help give him some peace of mind. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    If you want a great tub that is completely secure check this line out. I bought a deep one to use as temporary housing for my ETB and fell in love with it. It is as if it was designed for snake keepers. They come in all different sizes and they are not badly priced.

http://www.target.com/s?sortBy=relev...ub#sn-51872701
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (06-02-2017)