Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

0 members and 3,192 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

BP tank heating HELP!!

So my new BP, Mushu, started out really active so I started experimenting to get the temps right. I just came in to check on him and saw he was really chilling out on the ground on the cool side, which I thought was odd. His temps went up on his hot side from a good 82-88 range and is now over one hundred. I have the temp gauge near the floor by the under-tank heating pad and a 100w bulb. He basically has 3 places to hide, his water bowl and aspen bedding., but he's choosing to lay out in the tank. He was never much of a hider anyway, but it still concerns me. It's been pretty rainy and chilly the last few days and it did finally heat up today plus he's nearby one of the windows so maybe that's the reason for the temp spike? Should I turn the bulb off since it's so hot? A curious question, why would he not choose one of the two hides on the cool side?

*If it helps at all, the tank is 20 gallons, there's a screen top and I did put a towel to cover the back, but it isn't covering the top at all. He has a large hide on the heated side that he usually likes, a more narrow hide on the cool side and a small side up near the top on top of a large pile of aspen bedding. I don't think I'm able to post any pictures on here, though. Sidenote, I did turn off the heat lamp and the temp is slowly going down, but it is still over 100.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    When you say you were experimenting, how did you do so? Are you using a thermostat for both of your heat sources?

Also glass tank near window isn't really ideal or safe so if possible, I would suggest moving it away from the window and direct sun light.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Are you regulating your heat sources with a thermostat?

And also, you definitely want to move the enclosure away from the window. Tanks near windows = heat spikes = not good

Thanks

Re: BP tank heating HELP!!

Thank you! I moved his tank away and I also turned off the lamp. The temp returned back to normal and stayed there without the light on. He finally calmed and is actually using his favorite hide now, which makes me feel like I finally may have gotten the balance right.
    To answer the questions, when I was first experimenting (after very first getting him), I tried moving the heat source to get the right temps and it worked b/c it was a little colder. Then I placed a towel over the screen top and back b/c he was still really active and shut off the a/c to his room. Then the heat spiked today, I placed the towel just to cover the back, added in the extra hiding space and turned the lamp off since it was warm inside today. And moved him away from the window. Now, he seems much calmer so I'll just make sure to keep an eye on the temps and use the lamp when the weather is cooler I guess.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    It sounds like you are not regulating your heat sources with thermostats. You MUST get thermostats on those heat sources, otherwise then can either get too hot or too cold for your snake. If you're lucky it will only end up sick, if you're unlucky you'll kill it.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-27-2017),MissterDog (05-26-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Glad to hear that you moved his tank.

You didn't mention anything about using a thermostat to regulate your heating. If you don't have one, I highly suggest you get one asap for your UTH AND lamp. This will help maintain your temps without getting dangerously high. As a side note, thermometer gauges are not the most accurate so you may want to consider upgrading to a digital one with a probe or getting a temp gun to help get more accurate readings.
    Last edited by MissterDog; 05-26-2017 at 11:26 PM.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    You are taking the temperature of the hottest spot your animal can touch right? UNDER the substrate......
    And the question not yet answered, How are you regulating you UTH??

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Booper (05-27-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-27-2017)

Thanks
    Also, 100w bulb is WAY too hot. It made my 40 gal tank overheat, I can't imagine how much it would overheat a 20 gal. It also destroys humidity. My 4o gal uses a 50w for nighttime and a 60w for day which even gets a little too warm and makes ambient go into the upper 80s. What wattages work for winter won't when it gets warmer depending on your location.

Use a way lower wattage of bulb (if you still need them with the REGULATED UTH) and insulation. Exo-terra foam background that looks like rocks, using corkboard on the sides, plexiglass on the top, whatever way you may find, and work on retaining the heat from lower intensity sources. It'll make humidity better doing it that way as well. It took me about a month to experiment (before even buying my BP) to get temps right. Aspen may not keep it humid enough either.

First and foremost regulate that UTH (try an Inkbird or Jumpstart thermostat to be more economical if you'd like), set the target to about 89-90 (temps get a couple degrees over before it shuts off to cool) and monitor with a cheap but super useful temp gun. Also try to cover the glass touching the UTH with something like paper towel that he can't move and dig through, direct contact can mean almost instant burns. My guy's belly was getting a little pink through two layers of paper towel because the thermostat probe came loose and the mat was around 100 degrees. Had the towels not been there, we would both be in serious trouble. I know aspen is easy for them to wiggle through, especially if they shed in the hide.

Apologies if any replies sound demanding, heat is just very dangerous for these guys and UTH's can cause real damage if not regulated.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ferrislongdog For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-27-2017)