Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,374

3 members and 3,371 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations! I have a little male hognose who's an inconsistent eater, so I understand the frustration. Meanwhile my little girl hog eats like a pig. I wish she would teach him how to do it!
    ~ Ball Pythons - Rosy Boas - - Western Hognose Snakes - Mexican Black Kingsnakes - Corn Snakes ~

Check me out on iHerp, Instagram, & visit my store!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the_rotten1 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-26-2017),cron14 (05-26-2017)

Thanks

Re: Finally Got my Hoggie to Eat

Thanks! I was so happy to get a species that are know to be voracious once they get going because my BP decides to eat whenever he feels like it lol Between her and my BP going on a 5 and a half month fast I was so frustrated. Between February and now I can't believe that I can say I was happier with the BPs feeding than my hognose

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cron14 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-26-2017)

Thanks

I think this is my last question but I've seen a lot of different opinions on this. Is there such a thing as overfeeding these guys? Deborah I know you suggested twice a week but she's eaten 5 meals for me over the course of the last 16 days and 3 times this week already. I know their metabolisms are very fast and since she hasn't eaten for so long I don't want to deprive her of food. Should I continue feeding this way for the next 3 months and then pull it back? I know pinkies are mainly fat so the last thing I want for her is to get sick but she is an absolute garbage disposal at this point

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cron14 View Post
    I think this is my last question but I've seen a lot of different opinions on this. Is there such a thing as overfeeding these guys? Deborah I know you suggested twice a week but she's eaten 5 meals for me over the course of the last 16 days and 3 times this week already. I know their metabolisms are very fast and since she hasn't eaten for so long I don't want to deprive her of food. Should I continue feeding this way for the next 3 months and then pull it back? I know pinkies are mainly fat so the last thing I want for her is to get sick but she is an absolute garbage disposal at this point
    I feed every 3-4 days as their metabolism is much faster than other snakes, like ball pythons for example. Adults are fed every 5-7 days but I keep my male to once a week.

Thanks

After a fed her today, she still looked hungry so I defrosted a pinky and she took it unscented! I'd say thats a good sign but am I overdoing it?

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like to feed every 3 days until they are about 25 grams than every 5 days until they reach about 100 grams than about once a week.

Usually that put my yearling around 55 grams for males and 75 grams for females on average.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

cron14 (06-09-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I like to feed every 3 days until they are about 25 grams than every 5 days until they reach about 100 grams than about once a week.

Usually that put my yearling around 55 grams for males and 75 grams for females on average.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Well I've been doing it a little backwards then. I've been feeding every 3 days with the goal of 75 grams or so for my females before going to every 5 days. I'll have to scale back the feeding. I know they have a high metabolism but was under the impression and from care sheets I read that up to 70-75 grams they are fed every 3-4 days.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrewross8705 View Post
    Well I've been doing it a little backwards then. I've been feeding every 3 days with the goal of 75 grams or so for my females before going to every 5 days. I'll have to scale back the feeding. I know they have a high metabolism but was under the impression and from care sheets I read that up to 70-75 grams they are fed every 3-4 days.
    Once they start to eat meaningful preys (no longer feeding on pinkies) they put on weight relatively fast which is why after 25 grams I feed every 5 days, there is always a fine line between feeding enough and feeding too much (also many people don't feed their colubrids enough), I could feed them more and they would eat but I do not want my animals to grow too fast and more importantly too fat.

At my feeding rate my females reach 200 grams by their second's birthday which is pretty much on target.
    Deborah Stewart

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Once they start to eat meaningful preys (no longer feeding on pinkies) they put on weight relatively fast which is why after 25 grams I feed every 5 days, there is always a fine line between feeding enough and feeding too much (also many people don't feed their colubrids enough), I could feed them more and they would eat but I do not want my animals to grow too fast and more importantly too fat.

At my feeding rate my females reach 200 grams by their second's birthday which is pretty much on target.
    Ah. That does make sense. Currently, I have one female who is almost a year old and a male who is less than a year on peach fuzzies. Adult male is on hoppers but 53g currently. Everyone else is still on large pinkies. I'll have to update my feeding schedule. Thank goodness for online calendars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12