Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,504

1 members and 3,503 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Ambient temps too hot?

Hey back with a simple question that might end up having a not so simple answer. As I've said (but repeat since its essential information that can be easily overlooked) I live in a tropical island, and lately as summer approaches temperatures have been known to climb up to the low hundreds (95-105° F) during the day and will very likely continue to do so until late September to early October. This shouldn't really pose much of a problem as long as they arent in direct sunlight or anything of the sort, however I wonder if it's dangerous for them even if, of course, this climate is similar to their native lands in Africa.

My question is, if they were to overheat, how would I notice that they're way too hot without the obvious signs others would find such as burns from heat pads (since they clearly wouldn't just get burns in their tubs/tanks indoors because of ambient temperature) and how would I be able to realistically and properly cool them down to a healthy temperature?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    You will probably find them soaking. I'm guessing that you don't have air conditioning?

Thanks

Re: Ambient temps too hot?

No, they're too expensive.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Anything over 90F is not good for a ball and at that temp you are going to start to see signs of stress. As bcr says they may soak. They may also wrap their water bowl and lay on their sides and in extreme cases almost upside down.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    If A/C isn't an option, what about one of those DIY air conditioners made from a fan and a cooler? You just put ice inside the cooler and from what I've seen they last a decent amount of time without the spike in your electric bill.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LiadanCroft View Post
    No, they're too expensive.
    Ok you'll have to set up what I call "redneck air conditioning" during the hottest part of each day.
    Put a 1-2 liter plastic bottle filled about 2/3 of the way with water into the freezer on its side (this is so it doesn't burst when the water freezes).

Each day around noon take the bottle out of the freezer and put it in front of a small fan that is aimed so the cool air blows onto the snake's tub/tank/rack. You'll need to monitor it to ensure that the enclosure doesn't get too cold, maybe do some trial runs on an empty tub.

Return the bottle to the freezer in the evening to use the next day.

Adding very large water bowls will help, and you can dump out the warm water and replace it with cool during the hottest part of the day.

Alternatively if you have a tank with a screen top you could get a cold pack and just put it on top, as the cool air from it should sink into the enclosure. Again you'd have to monitor it to make sure it didn't get too cold in there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-24-2017),LiadanCroft (05-24-2017)

Thanks

Thank you!! Practice rounds on an empty tub sounds good, will do today and tomorrow since forecast says temps this week will be at 90 tops around midday which is the usual then cool down in the afternoon to the night time 80s-70s. Will also provide water bowls with slightly cool water daily them to soak in if they do so.