Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,102

1 members and 3,101 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Question How long until I need to worry?

So my 3-year-old ball python hasn't eaten in about 3 months now and he has only lost 30-40 grams (currently he's 1,215 grams). I know it's nothing to be worried about now but how long would you be okay with your ball python not eating? Should I start worrying if he doesn't eat within the next 2 months? Or should I not worry at all how long he doesn't eat for (even if it's 6+ months) as long as he isn't losing significant weight?

Also, his weight bounces between 1,215 and 1,225 grams. Now at first I thought he was drinking and urinating but he actually hasn't done ANYTHING in terms of waste for the 3 months he hasn't eaten for. And I see him drink often.
    Last edited by Kururu; 05-23-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a matter of overall health and body proportion at 1200+ grams he could go a year without food without any ill effect, what you need to do is see if something (husbandry wise or feeding wise can help your animal resume feeding)
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-23-2017),Dezoruba (05-23-2017),jmcrook (05-23-2017)

Thanks

Re: How long until I need to worry?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    It's a matter of overall health and body proportion at 1200+ grams he could go a year without food without any ill effect, what you need to do is see if something (husbandry wise or feeding wise can help your animal resume feeding)
    Sorry to nudge in but was trolling and noticed this post. I have similar issues with my 2 year old boy as well. Seems to be trying to escape at night and will not eat.

As far as husbandry goes, how exactly should we triple check this? I have had my boy in an AP cage for almost a year on a herpstat and accurite and between those two everything seems okay. When I check with my temp gun, its similar in ranges but tends to show warmer temperatures. Just looking for some suggestions for triple-checking husbandry!

Also, if you know anything about probe placements for a RHP let me know! seems to be a lack of information on this subject on this site. (mine was directly under the RHP on the substrate next to accurite probe for ~1 year now but my concern lately is that his cage has been too warm, hence the roaming and trying to escape.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

Re: How long until I need to worry?

Quote Originally Posted by maausen View Post
    Sorry to nudge in but was trolling and noticed this post. I have similar issues with my 2 year old boy as well. Seems to be trying to escape at night and will not eat.

As far as husbandry goes, how exactly should we triple check this? I have had my boy in an AP cage for almost a year on a herpstat and accurite and between those two everything seems okay. When I check with my temp gun, its similar in ranges but tends to show warmer temperatures. Just looking for some suggestions for triple-checking husbandry!

Also, if you know anything about probe placements for a RHP let me know! seems to be a lack of information on this subject on this site. (mine was directly under the RHP on the substrate next to accurite probe for ~1 year now but my concern lately is that his cage has been too warm, hence the roaming and trying to escape.
    Using a herpstat, acurite, and digital temp gun is pretty much the best we can do! No worries there.

I let the thermostat probe hang (secured) only a couple inches below the RHP for arboreal species, since they're closer to it and reach up sometimes. I feel safest having the probe in that position. And then when I'm setting up the right temp, I use the temp gun to check every 20 minutes or so to make sure everything is within the right range.

I have my thermostat set to 83.0, and it's about 83~86ish for maybe a foot around the RHP, with a gradient to 77 at the very bottom of the 24" height. If I set it at just 84.3 or so, the temps overall go up by 3~4 degrees which makes it about appropriate for a ball python, so you can trial and error starting from there for what works for your cage.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-24-2017 at 03:55 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

maausen (05-24-2017)