Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,147

0 members and 3,147 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Qestions on feeding scardy boy

Hey Guys,
    I have recently rescued an adult normal from my father-in-law and I am having some issues with him. He was previously being fed on a 5-8 week Feeding schedule and had no water for weeks when I rescued him (forced to purchase him to save him). I have had him since February without any problem until a couple of weeks ago. He was on a 1 week feed schedule without issue feeding small rats and has been doing great. I recently switched his bedding to reptichip but didn't think that was the cause of his distress and refusal to eat. Tank is normal with 88-92 on the hot side and 78-80 on the cool side depending on time of day with around 50% humidity most of the time 60- 80 when I spray him down. I know that in the past he has been bitten by live rats but will not eat f/t either. Going on almost a month now without eating and I'm frustrated cause he was doing so good. Should I try a gerbil or hamster maybe instead. I have even tried a larger mouse as that's what my little girl eats and had extras. I don't want to switch him back to the dried pine bedding they were keeping him in since it doesn't hold the humidity. Any and all advice is welcome, thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts
    Many adult male BP's will only eat every 3-4 weeks, or they'll eat a few regular meals and then fast for a few months. It sounds like yours ate steadily from Feb-Apr and is now fasting. I would just monitor his weight and body condition, and continue to offer a feeder every week.

After he eats again wait for two weeks before offering another rat.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

KatsuragRyuketsu (05-23-2017)

Thanks

Re: Qestions on feeding scardy boy

Ok I will try that. I was worried about him since the previous owner had not been feeding him properly in the first place. he has plumped up and doesn't look as scrawny as when I got him but he still worried me.