Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,978

0 members and 1,978 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

BTS - really hooked now

So I have wanted a lizard again since my iguana passed away a few years ago, but didn't want one quite so complicated and large. I have a bp and have the "need another reptile itch" again. I have been pet sitting a blue tongue for two weeks and I think I'm in love. She's like a little stubby-legged dog (that doesn't come when called or know tricks, haha)

Anyway, been doing a ton of research this week and have been really surprised to find that hardly anyone has them for sale. Does anyone here know of reputable breeders or is there a place like morph market but for lizards? My pet sitting client got his about 10 years ago in Arizona but does not remember the breeder. Thanks in advance.

Also any good care sheets / care guides that I can read over?
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks

Re: BTS - really hooked now

Also, after a short look over fauna classifieds - why are they so pricey? Are they difficult to breed in captivity?

Just wondering since if I was going to shell out $300-600 on another reptile, I'd probably get my dream snake (pibald bp)
    No cage is too large - nature is the best template - a snoot can't be booped too much

Thanks
    I don't know your budget but Snakes at Sunset has BTS for 169 if that helps any, good luck you are bond to find the perfect friend..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to C.Marie For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (05-23-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post
    Also, after a short look over fauna classifieds - why are they so pricey? Are they difficult to breed in captivity?

Just wondering since if I was going to shell out $300-600 on another reptile, I'd probably get my dream snake (pibald bp)
    Not that they are difficult to breed they are difficult to sex, you can probe or pop them, you basically by several group and see who does what with one another.

There is the old sexing based on the head size but like most visual things it's not accurate.

I know someone who breeds them has quality specimens and know there lineage

His name is Dave you can contact him through Facebook and I can vouch for him https://www.facebook.com/david.levinson.714

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-23-2017)

Thanks

Thanks, Deborah. Have to admit that some of the reviews of breeders on fauna made me a little wary of buying from lesser known sources

Thanks
    You will find that most of the breeders of Northerns have wait lists, so they sell out as soon as the litter is born. The ones that are "cheaper" are generally one of the Indo species that are still being exported, either as "farm raised" or wild caught. I'd recommend going over to bluetongueskinks.net and reading through the many threads, care sheets, and species info. A lot of the people over there are breeders as well.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jclaiborne For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (05-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crowfingers View Post

They are usually so pricey because 1. They are viviparous (live birth) 2. they usually only give birth once a year and 3. I believe they have less babies per pregnancy as compared to, let's say, bearded dragons.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MyBPsAreRad For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (05-25-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jclaiborne View Post
    You will find that most of the breeders of Northerns have wait lists, so they sell out as soon as the litter is born. The ones that are "cheaper" are generally one of the Indo species that are still being exported, either as "farm raised" or wild caught. I'd recommend going over to bluetongueskinks.net and reading through the many threads, care sheets, and species info. A lot of the people over there are breeders as well.
    Thanks, I'll definitely check it out. I don't mind being on a wait list. Rather that and get a healthy animal from a breeder than an unhealthy/stressed/parasite ridden one from the wild. I also don't really agree with wild-caught anything...I know that very few pets would have existed if not for catching them from the wild in the first place, but I can't really support it either - why kidnap a creature that will be stressed / deplete the native population when healthier more interesting / tamer specimens are captive bred