Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,134

0 members and 3,134 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Charlie won't eat, but seems hungry?

Hello all,

My ball Charlie is about 6 years old. I never had problems feeding him, but over the last half year or so some times he will refuse to eat. I get the same small rats every time, feed him in the same tank, in the same place, when it is quiet, and some times he will strike and drop it. Most of the time when he does this, I leave him be overnight and he eats it, but he hasn't been doing this. Just last night, he struck at the rat, grabbed it, held on for a bit, and then let go. I let him sit overnight and the rat was still there this morning. I can tell he wants to eat because when I removed him from his feeding tub he struck at me.

He hasn't eaten in 3 weeks. I can't keep wasting rats like this, but I do not know how to help him.

I feed him thawed rats and warm them up in a water bath before feeding. Same as I have always done.

Any advice? I am not sure what to do at this point.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Charlie won't eat, but seems hungry?

Try to stop feeding him in a separate tub. That may cause extra stress. How are you heating the enclosure and regulating that heat? Are you measuring the cool and warm sides temperatures?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    Try to stop feeding him in a separate tub. That may cause extra stress. How are you heating the enclosure and regulating that heat? Are you measuring the cool and warm sides temperatures?
    UTH with a thermostat, stays about 90-94 on hot side. Cool side stays about 80.
    Last edited by sabriel415; 05-22-2017 at 10:47 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Digital something to measure temp and humidity?

I agree, I wouldn't move him to feed him.

Make sure everything is where is needs to be, and don't touch him at all for a week, then try to feed him.

What at time of day are you trying to feed him? I wait until 9pm to feed mine, because that is when he is thinking about moving around for the night.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

I agree with the advice you've already been given. As long as your husbandry is on point, and and you don't see any signs of illness, just wait him out. How often are you feeding him? Maybe try spacing out his feedings a little more so you waste fewer feeders. I think you're doing great if you've had a BP for 6 yrs and this is his first time refusing food. All of the BPs I've had would take food breaks from time to time.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO