Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,270

1 members and 3,269 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,534
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

End of life planning for snake collection

Hi all, I haven't posted much over the years but I have learned much from this site and everyone on it. Without being too morbid, I am in my early 50's and recently had a life scare. It wound up not being too serious but enough to make me think a little about planning for the unexpected. My wife and sons unfortunately do not share in my love of snakes and do not interact with my collection of 9 animals. I have several Carpet Pythons from Nick Mutton, a few Antaresia from Justin Julander, a few Ball Pythons and a Boa Constrictor. I don't breed them, they are all pets in naturalistic display cages. I really enjoy these animals and it is my only hobby, but I do not want to leave my wife with the unwanted burden of finding homes for them in case something unexpected were to happen to me. In an event like this she will have enough to worry about. Has anyone thought of this or maybe has the same situation? We had a really good talk the other night and she asked me if I could make her some instructions on how to handle things in the event that something were to happen to me and all the normal stuff was easy. Mortgage, cars, other stuff she knows, but what about my animals? The only thing I could think of is you guys on this site and how some of you might have ideas that I could put on my "instruction sheet". She does not have any interest in my snakes and to tell the truth she is scared to death of them, but she has always let me be me and would never want me to not enjoy my hobby. Any and all ideas are welcome and thank you for your time and input about a subject many of us probably have not thought much about.

Dave

2. The Following User Says Thank You to themastiffman For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-22-2017)

Thanks
    What you think now is not going to be the same as later. You would be surprised by the little bits of loved ones we didn't care about that, after their passing, mean the world to us.

With you alive as things are the snakes may not look appealing to your wife and children, but with you gone the prospect of getting rid of them may hurt them in ways they never could have imagined.

The above is why I would not suggest leaving them to someone in a will. When it comes time, feelings may change.

That said, caution should be taken when it comes to places like craigs list (facebook, some reptile forums), it is possible those people will take the snakes to flip them, kill them, or what have you.

My own suggestion would be to find some breeders whom you are close to and find out if, under negative circumstances, they might take in a few extra snakes to find them forever homes. Keep that list updated, and leave it in your wife and children's care.

This gives the benefit of having a few people to give the snakes to, as well as allow your family the chance to hold on to the snakes if they want.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-22-2017),Lizardlicks (05-22-2017),maausen (05-22-2017),ringorock (05-22-2017),themastiffman (05-22-2017),Timelugia (05-22-2017),Vipera Berus (05-25-2017)

Thanks

Re: End of life planning for snake collection

Thank you for your thoughts Oxy. I live in the Washington DC suburbs and most of my animals have been purchased by breeders far from me. I have tried to soften my wife's fear of snakes for many years "we have been married for 27 years" to no avail, I do not think that they will be kept in remembrance of me. Your points are very valid and appreciated. I will do some research on hobbyists breeders in my area to try to come up with a fluid plan for her. Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,497 Times in 2,689 Posts

This is a great thread and definitely an important part of estate planning. I've actually had the discussion with my SO about what to do with my animals when I pass. She's familiar with the forums I frequent and a few of my friends on the forums. She's agreed to offer my animals to any interested parties and to call a reptile rescue in our area to collect any remaining critters. My 7 y/o son says he'll take care of the critters if I'm ever unable to do so but his mom says he can only keep one or two. I live in GA so I'm counting on those of you in the Southeast to step up and help out if/when the time comes.
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-22-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-22-2017),themastiffman (05-22-2017)

Thanks
    I have found that as I get older, fewer and fewer things are truly important to me. One of those things are my animals, another is the desire not to burden my family with any more than is absolutely necessary when I am gone.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by themastiffman View Post
    I have found that as I get older, fewer and fewer things are truly important to me. One of those things are my animals, another is the desire not to burden my family with any more than is absolutely necessary when I am gone.
    Getting older myself (30) I too have found that less and less is important to me. Currently I have a lovely fiancee, but we have found ourselves needing a new place to live as our roommate decided to not renew the lease with us. I've had a great number of hobbies in my life; photography, bass, snakes, monitor lizards, education, mini wargames, painting, art, I can't even remember because there have been so many. Now that I've had a few moves in my life and find the spending power of the dollar decreasing, I've had to really evaluate what I have and what I want. I've come to the conclusion that aside from pets, my computer, and my tools, there really isn't anything else that matters in things I own. Which pretty much leaves me working on my book, education, breeding ball pythons, and DIY projects.

Yesterday I was visiting with the fiancee's family and her mother just didn't understand why I would hold on to the snakes despite them posing an issue to moving. I did the exact same thing I did to my fiancee to convince her that I need to expand my ball python collection, I explained the potential profits from breeding the snakes. She instantly came to an understanding. It's a shallow outlook (a decade with the snakes, some of which cost me a lot, a huge amount of love for them, time, caring... they are lifelong companions) however it worked.

Anyway, yeah I too have found that less and less is really important to me in the things I have cared about, but the ones that have stuck around have become extremely important
    Last edited by Oxylepy; 05-22-2017 at 01:19 PM.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks
    Thanked 9,859 Times in 4,779 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by themastiffman View Post
    Thank you for your thoughts Oxy. I live in the Washington DC suburbs and most of my animals have been purchased by breeders far from me. I have tried to soften my wife's fear of snakes for many years "we have been married for 27 years" to no avail, I do not think that they will be kept in remembrance of me. Your points are very valid and appreciated. I will do some research on hobbyists breeders in my area to try to come up with a fluid plan for her. Thank you.
    There are a LOT of herpers in the Washington, DC metro area. It shouldn't be hard to find someone responsible who is local that your wife can contact who could deal with either taking or rehoming your snakes on behalf of the estate.

My husband and I have Wills drawn up but if we both pass away there's no way the executor could deal with the snakes, the horse, cleanly and legally closing the firearm business, etc. Our end of life instructions have a list of names and numbers she can call for help, and we've already asked those people if they would be willing to step in should the need arise.

Thanks
    Sorry to read of your recent scare. Sending well wishes your way.

You should definitely put together a list for your family of potential places/people that might help in re-homing your animals. Phone numbers, email addresses, etc... Maybe even a short term care sheet if you think they would be willing.
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks

I have the name of a person I want to be called in the event something happens to me. My husband knows where the information is and is to call her immediately. He has been instructed to give her my snakes along with all my cages/equipment. I know she will find good homes for my babies and by getting the cages/equipment for free - sorta pays her for her services.

Definitely something that needs to be addressed. Not many people are that eager to just take in snakes. LOL
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Sorry to hear of your scare. I'm glad it turned out not too serious. I hope all is well now and moving forward. Thoughts are with you and yours.

As far as the afterlife plan for my animals, my girlfriend knows what to do and who to call in case I pass unexpectedly.
    She'll gladly keep the fish tanks and two of the four ferrets (apparently four is too many for her and she would only keep two because they would be a part of me living through them). I have care sheets stashed away.
    The snakes/skink, however, will need to be re-homed. She knows the basics, and I have a care sheet for them too. But she will not be willing to keep any of them long term. So I provided her with names, numbers and websites of people and places to call.

It is kinda strange to think about, but it makes sense to be prepared. I'm 38 and hopefully not going anywhere for a while, but you just never know.
    My girlfriend and I have had discussions about what to do in that situation, so she's prepared just in case.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-22-2017),themastiffman (05-25-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast