Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,284

0 members and 1,284 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42

Thread: Day by Day

Thanks

Day by Day

So I'm just wondering what the day to day care is like for a BP? Even month to month?

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Day to day is pretty simple: I check all of my equipment/husbandry first thing in the morning. I also spot clean as needed and clean and refill water dishes every few days. I also check my feeding records daily to see which snakes (if any) are scheduled to eat that day. Some recommend feeding at night, especially with tricky eaters. I've been lucky so far I guess, all of my snakes will eat any time of day. So I have the flexibility of feeding when it works with my schedule. If I run into any trouble eaters I'll adjust accordingly. I also like to try to at least get a decent look at each animal every day, but most come out for at least a short period daily, with feeding end shedding exceptions as well as some days my schedule just doesn't allow much handling. I ALWAYS make time for daily check-ins and equipment/husbandry/water checks.

This almost looks like a lot, but it really isn't. With 4 snakes currently, it takes anywhere from 5-20 minutes for "regular" daily maintenance. The rest is time I choose to spend with the animals, plus a little time for feeding on the appropriate days.

I do a full enclosure cleaning every 4-6 weeks depending on the animal, the substrate, etc...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Crowley136 (05-21-2017)

Thanks
    What are the chances of getting mites if your snake DOESN'T have them when you get him/her?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Day by Day

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley136 View Post
    What are the chances of getting mites if your snake DOESN'T have them when you get him/her?
    I understand you can pick them up on your clothes or bags of substrate when visiting some reptile stores ..

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Not too sure on this one. Haven't had any mites yet. My understanding is they can come home with you on your clothes if you've been to a pet store or somewhere else with reptiles. I believe they can also come from substrate bags.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Snake mites? If you have strong protocols in place ZERO. I have been breeding snakes for a decade and NEVER had mites with my current collection.

My protocols are simple

I quarantine and pre-treat for mite my new incoming addition regardless or where they come from

If I go to a show or a pet store when I come home I immediately remove all my cloth and shower and wash my hair before going near my snakes.

I do not purchase live feeders I breed my own

No one is allowed in my snake room especially people who own snakes.
    Deborah Stewart