Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 911

3 members and 908 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,652 Times in 995 Posts

Cancer can Suck It!

The past few weeks have been rough ones for me and my husband. A month ago he found a lump and when we first went to the doctor they said it was most likely just an abscess but that they wanted to get an Ultrasound ASAP and get an appointment with a Urologist. The ultrasound was done, but due to a mix up the results weren't relayed to us right away. Since my husband is a very healthy man (we gym 5 days a week and eat clean as we can) and had no symptoms other than the lump we felt it was safe to wait til the Urology appointment that was two weeks away. At the office the doctor came in and instantly explained that my husbanded needed an orchiectomy *immediately* and that he was 80% sure that this was cancer. The doctor wanted to do it that very day but my husband had eaten and couldn't go under anesthesia. The doctor worked with the hospital to get him the next day (a Friday). I was so grateful that they were able to work him into a busy day surgery schedule and that we didn't have to wait the weekend!

Surgery went well, but we were informed that the ultrasound had also shown a mass on his kidney (when they ultrasound testicles they do kidneys as well since that's often where the first spread is found). The doctor told us that this was likely just a fatty mass and that we would have to get a full body CT scan and the biospy from the surgery before we could move forward. Since it was a Friday night by the time the surgery was over we had to wait (the *wait* is the hardest part). The CT couldn't be done until Thursday, and his follow up appointment and hopefully the biopsy report was scheduled for Friday.

I can't tell you how long a week it was. Did anyone else notice that it was the longest week the Earth has ever had? No? Just us?

I have to say my husband has been so strong through all of this and other than my own moments of panic we manged to spend a good week together (he was off work due to surgery, I only had to work Tues by pure happenstance). Our 13th wedding anniversary is coming up in a few weeks and we've been together for 17 wonderful years, but I really expect to get another 50-60 years out of my man!

On Friday we got the second best news that we could have hoped to get. His biopsy came back as cancer, however it was Stage One with clean margins and no signs of metastasis (spread). The mass on his kidney turned out to just be an ultrasound artifact (a shadow on the ultrasound that wasn't really there, it happens. Ultrasounds are good not great). With the surgery the cancer was fully removed. We still need to meet with an oncologist because we do have the option of doing one cycle of Chemo to reduce risk of recurrence from approximately 10% down to aprox 3%. We haven't decided, we need to learn more about risk vs reward, the doctor seemed to feel that monitoring with CT scans for a while was better than blasting his body with chemo but the doctor wanted us to speak to the experts and we agree.

In all of this the one thing I have learned is how few people know that testicular cancer is a young man's affliction (usually found in men age 20-50). Awareness is *so* important for this cancer. This is a very treatable form of cancer but your odds of survival sky rocket if you catch it early and act FAST! From the time my husband found the lump to the time he had surgery was three weeks, and if we had been more pushy about getting the ultrasound results it would have been sooner (this slip was a clerical error that was really no one's fault, but does show that you must advocate for yourself).

I know this hobby has a lot of men in it and so I'm sharing our story to hopefully help someone else have as positive an outcome as we have had.

I also drew myself a new tattoo while my husband was getting his CT scan. In a few weeks my friend and talented tattoo artist is going to tattoo this in full color to my outer forearm. The ribbon will be purple (the color for several cancers), the orchids are woven in because they are associated with testicular cancer due to the root word for orchid in Latin meaning testicle (apparently whoever named orchids thought they looked like testicles...and also felt that would make a great flower name).

My hope is that people will ask me the meaning behind this piece and I can spread more awareness.

Hugs to everyone!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Albert Clark (05-21-2017),ballpythonluvr (05-21-2017),bubs327 (06-10-2017),C.Marie (05-21-2017),chickenooget (05-22-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-20-2017),EL-Ziggy (05-21-2017),Lizardlicks (05-21-2017),rock (05-21-2017),StillBP (05-22-2017),tttaylorrr (06-10-2017)

Thanks
    Sorry to hear that. I'm healthy as an ox too, but I've been through my share this year. I have polyps in my gall bladder and also went through a polypectomy to remove a 1" mass in my colon a month ago, and I'm only 34! I guess I'm going to be hitting up a lot of fried chicken this year. Good luck with all of that. We know it can be tough.

Thanks
    So frightening to have to deal with masses and polyps at any age! Good luck and all the love to you as well!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-21-2017),ringorock (05-20-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,492 Times in 2,686 Posts

Re: Cancer can Suck It!

Wishing your hubby a full and speedy recovery. My dad is a survivor too. F CANCER! Now and 4ever!!
    3.0 Carpet Pythons, 1.1 Bullsnakes
    1.0 Olive Python 1.0 Scrub Python,
    1.0 BI, 0.1 BCO

7. The Following User Says Thank You to EL-Ziggy For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thank you so much! I'm pleased your father is among the survivors! F Cancer indeed! Hugs!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to piedlover79 For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (05-21-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

So sorry that you are going through this scare but glad everything is working out. Cancer runs in my mother's side of the family. I think you are right about this being the longest week ever! I noticed it too! Hugs and love to you dear!

Thanks
    There are no words so relieved to hear he caught it early and is in good hands, wishing you both a speedy recovery

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    G-d bless you on the early catch! You're both in my prayers.
    And yes, it was the longest week ever. Seems it was a tough week for several people.

- - - Updated - - -

And that tattoo is going to be beautiful. I hope you post a pic when it's done.

Thanks
    wishing your husband a speedy recovering and peace of mind for both of you
    this year has been hard for me as well... i've been in and out of mental hospitals for months. life can be tough but it's all worth it.
    best of luck

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Wow! What a manifesto pl. Makes me realize how connected we all are as a race....a human race! We are all subject to these ills and infirmities regardless of age....especially c----r. So yeah, best wishes for a full recovery and continued health.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast