Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,192

3 members and 3,189 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

just sharing my experience, tub vs tank, switching to rats....

Just wanted to share my recent experience.

6 months ago i decided to buy my first boa. I had my ball python, vic, on a 20 gallon set up, it had all the good stuff, 2 digital therms, 2 identical hides, a ultratherm hooked up to a herpstat 1 on the hot side, plenty of decor, a water dish in the middle, have the whole thing setup in the closet so he gets darkness alot, and temps always perfect (check twice or more times a day)

I have had my ball python for 6 years now, and the first year he was eating mice and then even small rat pups, but around 3 years of age he would RUN away from rats, he would come out his hide see the size of the rat and quickly retreat. I tried everything, scenting (with reaall stinky dirty mice bedding) to waiting until midnight, well just everything i could. I eventually gave up and just gave him mice. He would not take 2 mice neither, he would eat one and then the second one he would not even come out of his hide.

Long story short i decided to put my new bought boa in my bp's tank, and move my BP to a 32qt tub. No hide, just hooked up to a ultratherm and a hydrofarm thermostat. For top heat im using zoo med UTH which is on the LID of the tub, that is for when its cold here in NY and he needs the extra heat. And a digital thermo in the middle. I place this setup deep under my bed where its basically just dark for him all the time.

After 2 weeks of him being there i started feeding him. At first i would buy just 2 mice thinking he would take one and the boa would take the other, but i would try giving him both first. To my suprise he started taking 2 mice. He would not before.

months later he eats 2 mice back to back on a regular basis, something that was impossible before, and today for the first time in years he ate a rat! no hesitation no nothing!

What im trying to say is, after moving him to the tub his feeding responce has been incredible, after years and years of trying to switch him to rats, it happened so easy.

Just wanted to share this for those who are thinking wether to use a tub or tank, GO FOR THE TUB

Thanks
    I love my tubs. I had one of my snakes in a tank a while back, and I couldn't keep humidity up to par for the life of me. You won't ever see a tank in my home again unless it's for fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Yeah, tubs are just all kinds of beneficial for the snake! People like to assume that keepers use tubs because they're cheap. No bruh, that's actually not it LOL