Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,086

2 members and 3,084 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Good viveriam brand?

Greetings,

I'm considering buying a different enclosure for my ball python. I'm currently having trouble keeping the heat up in the terrarium I own. What are good brands for vivariums? What is a good price? Thank you.

Thanks

Re: Good viveriam brand?

I would ask first what is your goal. What's important to you? If it's just to meet your snakes basic needs, a tub with heat tape may be sufficient (cost you maybe $30). If you care about aesthetics, you can get a PVC cage with radiant heat panel (cost you around $300).

But maybe there's something you can do with your current setup? What's the issue with the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Sarabi (05-19-2017)

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    I've been price comparison shopping and, honestly, Animal Plastic still holds the most bang for buck ratio with excellent customer service to back that up.

Oooo they updated their website in the last 24hrs!

Edit: or I guess that's a demo for a planed update. Main site is here: http://www.apcages.com/home/
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 05-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Sarabi (05-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BPGator View Post
    I would ask first what is your goal. What's important to you? If it's just to meet your snakes basic needs, a tub with heat tape may be sufficient (cost you maybe $30). If you care about aesthetics, you can get a PVC cage with radiant heat panel (cost you around $300).

But maybe there's something you can do with your current setup? What's the issue with the heat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the temperature at optimum levels. My guess is that the heat keeps escaping through the screen lid. I came home from the store yesterday and the cool side of her tank measured 64F (this was with my household heat set at 70F). Luckily she was in her warm hide, which was at 89F. I got it heated up quickly, but I was really worried. I put a stronger heat bulb in the my lamp, but now I'm worried that certain areas will get too hot and she'll get burned.

I have realistic terrarium--all fake plants, but I did my best to make it natural and give her levels to climb. She seems to love to climb up the vines and plants I have.

My snake is only about 4 months old, so I would really like to avoid buying anything until she outgrows her current living area. Not to mention, the money I spent on the terrarium that I own--I was misinformed about the best housing options to keep the heat in.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sarabi View Post
    I'm having a lot of trouble keeping the temperature at optimum levels. My guess is that the heat keeps escaping through the screen lid. I came home from the store yesterday and the cool side of her tank measured 64F (this was with my household heat set at 70F). Luckily she was in her warm hide, which was at 89F. I got it heated up quickly, but I was really worried. I put a stronger heat bulb in the my lamp, but now I'm worried that certain areas will get too hot and she'll get burned.

I have realistic terrarium--all fake plants, but I did my best to make it natural and give her levels to climb. She seems to love to climb up the vines and plants I have.

My snake is only about 4 months old, so I would really like to avoid buying anything until she outgrows her current living area. Not to mention, the money I spent on the terrarium that I own--I was misinformed about the best housing options to keep the heat in.
    Well if you want to keep the glass tank then I would suggest making some changes to see if you can make it work.

Can you describe some more about your setup:
    - do you have an under tank heater on a thermostat?
    - sounds like you're using a heat lamp to warm the air in the tank. how many watts?
    - how are you measuring your temperature? do you have a heat gun, analog thermometer, digital thermometer, etc?
    - is the temperature in your room typically 70°?

Some things that can help with retaining the heat are putting insulation around 3 of the sides. You can also partially cover the top, which is typically done anyways to help retain the humidity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Sarabi (05-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    I've been price comparison shopping and, honestly, Animal Plastic still holds the most bang for buck ratio with excellent customer service to back that up.

Oooo they updated their website in the last 24hrs!

Edit: or I guess that's a demo for a planed update. Main site is here: http://www.apcages.com/home/
    I have two T8 cages with RHP and they're awesome. But it doesn't sound like this is in her budget right now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BPGator For This Useful Post:

Sarabi (05-19-2017)

Thanks

Well if you want to keep the glass tank then I would suggest making some changes to see if you can make it work.

Can you describe some more about your setup:
    - do you have an under tank heater on a thermostat?
    - sounds like you're using a heat lamp to warm the air in the tank. how many watts?
    - how are you measuring your temperature? do you have a heat gun, analog thermometer, digital thermometer, etc?
    - is the temperature in your room typically 70°?

Some things that can help with retaining the heat are putting insulation around 3 of the sides. You can also partially cover the top, which is typically done anyways to help retain the humidity.

My Setup:
    -I have a ZooMed UTH with thermometer control connected to it.
    -100W blue heat lamp.
    -I have a Zilla reptile terrarium digital thermometer-hygrometer.
    -I try and keep my apartment at about 70F. Right now, the weather hasn't warmed up yet so, once it does, it will be easier.

I put a damp towel over the top of the terrarium. Hopefully that will help. I have a ZooMed terrarium that I have was supposedly "made for snakes." A label that I am now seriously questioning.

Thank you so much for your help! My python was a gift and, as much as I loved receiving her, the downside was that I was cramped for time when buying everything for her, so I didn't do as much research as I should have.

Thanks

I have two T8 cages with RHP and they're awesome. But it doesn't sound like this is in her budget right now.
    I looked at the T8 cages and other products sold by the same company and they look amazing! However, you're right in thinking that it's not in my budget right now. As a last resort, I could buy one and make it work, but it would take some serious changes in my day-to-day budget (as in one meal a day for a month, at least) and draining my emergency funds.

Thanks
    I really like my Constrictors Northwest Pro-Line cage. His lead times are probably equivalent to most of the other big-name plastic cage manufacturers, but I just really like the way mine came out. It wasn't as cheap as some other offerings but the dovetail joints really make assembly a breeze and make the whole unit very solid without 50 screws.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to audioclass For This Useful Post:

Sarabi (05-19-2017)

Thanks

Went to edit my post but apparently 10min has gone by, so I'll add this:

Glass tanks are definitely harder to maintain as you've noticed. I had luck tinfoiling the top of mine, and insulating the sides with some cheap "school project" black foam board from the hobby shop near me. My house is usually around 68-70F, and I was able to maintain 80 ambient with just a single 75W ceramic heat emitter, providing a hotspot of 90 with an ultratherm or equivalent under-tank heater. The CHE was pretty much at 100% all the time due to my home temps, but the UTH floated around 20-30% to keep the hotspot warm.

Main problem I had with the glass (exo-terra) was humidity. It was a constant struggle keeping the tank misted especially during a shed cycle. Eventually that led me to the PVC cage, and I have to say I couldn't be happier now. A single pro-heat RHP keeps her hot spot at 90 and 78-80 ambient/cool side easily and I never have to worry about humidity again, it's always 70% or higher.

Maybe you can try something like the foamboard out to keep things easy and cheap for now, and save up for the nicer setup in the long run

16. The Following User Says Thank You to audioclass For This Useful Post:

Sarabi (05-19-2017)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast