Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,930

0 members and 2,930 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User yaboyyoungd1234567's Avatar
    Thanks

Colombian Boa Constrictor Whistle

When I first got her when she was about 8 months old you could feel strong cold air come from her nostrils when she was breathing. Companied by a whistle that I could hear when she was closer to my face or if there's not slot of noise in the room. I took her to the vet and she said she was healthy and she wasn't wheezing/whistling then. But doctor gave me shots to give her because I heard the whistling at home (just to be safe). After her treatment I don't recall hearing it again until now (she's about 2 years old now) and it's back and more constant. Last time and THIS time her nose is clear no mouth gaping or breathing through the mouth. No bubbles I open her mouth with a Q-Tip and it's a good light pink color no other Upper Respiratory symptoms. I've slightly increased her heat and I've increased her humidity. I know they only have one true lung, but she's not fully grown and heavy bodied enough to be exhaling loudly. She's NEVER missed a weekly meal, has FULL sheds EVERY time and is just a joy to keep. Anyone else experience this or know/understand what's going on? Thank you for taking the time for reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,341 Times in 3,220 Posts
    She could be going into shed. She could be a heavy breather. Could be excitement from being out. Have you tried listening while she is inside her cage just relaxing? If she only does it when taken out and messed with, it is probably just from the excitement/movement. My 6.5' girl sometimes breathes heavy when she is out and playing around. My retic also makes little sneezing noises sometimes when out and going bonkers all over me. Some snakes are just more vocal than others. I would just watch for obvious signs like gaping, bubbly mucous around the nose/mouth and excessive sitting with head tilted up. Now dont mistake the tilted head for RI alone as a lot of boas will sit with their head up if they see something interesting lol. My sunglow loves to stare at her LED lights for some reason.

Just bump the humidity and temps if you are worried and watch her. I personally wouldnt just throw antibiotics like candy. It's harsh on their systems and you dont want anything to build up a resistance to antibiotics.

Personally she looks fine to me.
    0.1 Rio Bravo Pokigron Suriname BC-Gina
    1.0 Meltzer/Lincoln Peruvian Longtail het anery BCL-Louie

0.1 Biak Green Tree Python-Pat
    ​1.0 OSHY Biak Green Tree Python-Alex
    0.0.1 Super Reduced Reticulated Gila Monster-Dozer
    0.0.1 Utah Banded Gila Monster-Tank
    0.0.1 Super Black Beaded Lizard-Reggie

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sauzo For This Useful Post:

yaboyyoungd1234567 (05-19-2017)

Thanks

Re: Colombian Boa Constrictor Whistle

She was doing it right after she shed the day I took the pics. Her sheds in the back ground. Yeah I've listened to her while she's in her enclosure and she did it too.

Thanks

Thank you very much. She's tight at 5 feet already stretched out. Her shed is over 6 foot though.

Thanks

Check your temps and humidity, and keep an eye on it. I had a boa who always whistled periodically. Took her to the vet and treated her for an RI just in case, but it never came to anything.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Yeah just pay attention to see if he gets worse. If it doesn't i wouldn't worry to much. If you see sneezing, mucus and bubbles then you got RI.
    Last edited by EDR; 05-19-2017 at 10:27 AM.
    0.1 : Albino Clown - GHI Pastave - Killer Bee Fader - Sugar Bee - Pastel het pied - Lemon Blast het puzzle

1.0 : Banana - Mystic Potion 66% pos het pied - Pastel Lesser het puzzle - Super Pastel 66% pos het puzzle

1.0 2012 Albino Red Tail

9. The Following User Says Thank You to EDR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Two of my three carpet pythons whistle and squeak, especially when they're out and about. I've learned not to worry about it with the first one, but I'm back to keeping an eye on it with the youngster, who seems to think he's an aquatic snake - loves his water bowl (and will be getting an RHP over said bowl this weekend).

0.4 BPs, 0.1 Antaresia, 2.1 Morelia, 0.0.1 Liasis, 1.0 Aspidites, 0.1 Blood, 1.1 Kings, 2.0 Milks, 1.2 Corns, 2.0 Ratsnakes, 0.1 Hognose, 1.0 RTB, 2.1 KSBs, 1.0 Tortoise, 1.0 Skink, 3.0 dogs, 2.1 Human serfs

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Prognathodon For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Man thank you my friends very much. I've only owned two RTB's and the first was sold to me with an RI (his basking bulb was a UVB) we won't talk about that one. It was a mistake but still... and then this girl has that popping n whistling a lot even if it's quiet. I know what to do but in the back of my mind thought I'd be good to see if anyone else has this going on with their snakes. I know RTB's are known for getting RI's. So it's just getting to the point where I'm getting used to it. Last get trip she was fine do if it doesn't progress I'll just get used to it. Just want her to be able to breathe as good as possible.

Thanks

Maybe she just has asthma like me lol thanks again guys she'll be okay she's getting s new home soon so I'll be sharing that huge thing