Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,993

0 members and 1,993 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

View Poll Results: How much did it hurt?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hurt pretty bad, feeding response bite!

0 0%
  • Didn't hurt to bad, feeding response bite.

13 46.43%
  • Hurt a lot, defensive bite!

0 0%
  • Barely hurt, defensive bite.

16 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bite poll

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    I had a 1000 gram ball python bite me from feeding and a miss, felt like two needles in my finger and it bled like a stuck pig. I've had a few close calls from my 30 pound reticulated python, she jumped out of the tub during feeding and almost got me right in the belly, that would have been really bad. Now I feed her multiple rats per week and she really mellowed out, I think she just needed more food. She can eat three jumbo rats per week now.
    Last edited by cchardwick; 05-18-2017 at 11:13 PM.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Nailed by a yearling corn who wanted a second mouse...bit and "ran" with tail rattling. No pain, two tiny blood drops.
    Caught by a young BP who missed the mouse and caught my hand, released immediately. Didn't hurt at all, but bled all over the place.

Thanks

Re: Bite poll

I've inly been bit by young sub 200g balls and a short tail. Except for a couple drops of blood, I didn't even realize i was bit. The fear of getting bit is MUCH worse than the bite. I havnt been bit by any of them as adults though. No matter how much I pester them. Though one girl has such a high feeding response I have to be sure not to just crack the lid and reach in. She's about 1800g at a bit under 2 years old and only comes out of wanting food after downing a 150+g rat. A 100g rat doesn't cut it, even the next day she's poised for food. So if I want to feel an adults feeding bite, she'll be up for the job. She has almost got me on feeding day when she starts towards my hand that opens the lid. I have to be quick getting the rat in there to get her attention off me.

Kyle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BPnet Senior Member Hannahshissyfix's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 619 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    I believe it. the initial bite is not so bad but when they make the little left to right movement with the lower jaw it saws into you like a serrated knife.
    That's just gave me a flash back to a nasty tegu bite I had!

I didn't answer the poll. it would vary a lot between hatchlings vs adults. Are you just deciding how afraid to get bit you should be? Lol

Thanks
    No, not how afraid. Just pain scale wise 1-10 for adults, juveniles and such I don't think would hurt.

Thanks

Haven't been bitten by either of my balls, but my RTB bit me right in the webbing of my hand. It stung a bit, like black berry thorns. It bled a lot, but wasn't bad.

Sent from my 5056W using Tapatalk
    2.3 Ball Python (Thanatos(lesser cinnamon vanilla), Prince(banana vanilla dinker). Lucifer(normal), Snailtail(lesser cinnamon vanilla pastel), Nagini(normal))
    1.1 Red Tail Boa (Satin,Tiberius)
    0.1* Rottwieler (Lola)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,944 Times in 1,958 Posts
    I'd have to guess a BP bite would be around a 1, if that, but I've never bit by one. I've been tagged by my GTP and three younger Bloods many times and while they have all made me bleed I wouldn't say any of them hurt. The worst bite was from my smallest snake, my Hognose. She latched on pretty good one time and got enough to give me some of her venom. I had some mild swelling and a bit of stiffness but nothing serious. She is cute but very feisty.
    KMG
    0.1 BP 1.1 Blood Python 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa 1.0 Aru Green Tree Python
    0.1 Emerald Tree Boa 0.1 Dumeril Boa 0.1 Carpet Python 0.1 Central American Boa
    0.1 Brooks Kingsnake 0.1 Speckled Kingsnake 1.0 Western Hognose
    0.1 Blonde Madagascar Hognose 1.0 Columbian Boa

1.1 Olde English Bulldogge 1.0 Pit Bull

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KMG For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (06-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Since this thread came up again, I think the reason why it always bleeds more than it hurts is due to most snake's teeth being long, but small and thin. So it makes a deep puncture to draw out blood, but not much surface area on the skin to hurt. Unless it's feeding response and they really get a chance to chew and open the wound bigger.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 06-18-2017 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,247 Posts
    2 feeding related bites in the least year for me. Both my fault. Just little tags.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts

Two bites for me in the last year. Both operator errors dealing with my kalatoa retic. First was a quick tag on the elbow when she was about 6 months old and 3.5' and didn't want to come out of the cage. I'd rate that one a -1 out of 10. Felt like a light bump on the elbow with a few little pin pricks and a couple drops of blood. Second was at a year old and about 6-6.5'. Accidentally bumped her nose when I didn't see where her face was while handling her. Latched on to my arm and wrapped me up tight. Overall maybe a 2.5 out of 10 at the most. More surprising than actually painful though it did bruise and draw a decent amount of blood. Respect your large constrictor species is the moral here lol. Learn to read their body language and always have a plan for when accidents happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12