Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,943

1 members and 2,942 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

New BP owner - is he too skinny? How old?

Hi! So I just bought my new bp from a breeder at a reptile show and I've only had him for a week now. His temperament is amazing! He seems to really love his new home and seems to be doing the proper things a bp does, such as use his two hides on both the hot and cold side during the day, very occasionally roaming, and then being more active at night. I've caught him soaking his little neck in his water too! So he seems to be happy and healthy to me, however, since I am new to this and after doing some research I feel that he may be too skinny! The breeder I bought him from seemed to be one of those breeders that owns hundreds of snakes and is more business-y. I think he just through out that he was around 7 months, but I'm starting to think he's 4-5 months. If not, then he may be really thin.

So I need help! Can you guys let me know what you think of his weight and age? Maybe let me know if he looks healthy! I am going to post a lot of pictures from different angles.

His name is Mochi and I hope my little guy is okay! He wasn't interested in his first meal and I'm going to try again Tuesday. I only have medium adult mice but I am getting medium rat pups on next Saturday!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to crosskira For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (06-17-2017)

Thanks
    Also I am planning to buy a weight scale tomorrow (if I can buy those somewhere at a store) so I can know his definite weight hopefully by then!

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    he looks great to me, just empty (ready his next meal) but not skinny. What a beautiful guy, congrats on your new addition!
    For the Horde!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

crosskira (06-18-2017)

Registered User Ballpythonguy92's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New BP owner - is he too skinny? How old?

Yea I've noticed that ball pythons are more active during the night then day even though their daurinal snakes lol but no he is fine in weight he looks fine what are you feeding him? Btw gorgeous first ball

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ballpythonguy92 For This Useful Post:

crosskira (06-18-2017)

Thanks

Like if you were able to see ribs and the spine or even lots of flabby skin just hanging then it's a little skinny but your guy seems fine to me if your worried feed 2 smaller prey items not like small small just something like slightly smaller then what u feed then double it so it will look nice and fat or even up the prey size till he gains a bit of weight I've had to do that with 4 ball pythons I got that were super skinny and their spines were showing I'll see if I can't find a picture I was so upset and everyone even said yea he lied about it being a ferocious eater because she barley had strength to eat hoppers

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ballpythonguy92 For This Useful Post:

crosskira (06-18-2017),spellbound04 (06-17-2017)

Thanks

If you look at her spine in both pictures u can see each individual one and her belly is sucked in plus in the first picture you see how much more pronounced the spine is due to being skinny I was so upset and cried because I couldn't believe some one who has been doing this for 10 plus years as he stated could be so stupid I don't even want to know what all his others looked like because he said she is a food beast and this and that but I got her and she looked started and dehydrated it took 2 months to get her back to normal weight and size she's a pastel champagne I traded my Samsung galaxy s5 for and paid 120$ shipping and I felt ripped off because of how bad of a condition she was in like she was only missing mites and it would have been perfect she's going to be breeding size this season I can't wait but may wait another just because

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ballpythonguy92 For This Useful Post:

crosskira (06-18-2017)

Thanks

Haha yeah I tried feeding him twice but each time he looked right past it and was more interested in the digital thermometer/hygrometer in his cage :p I'm hoping this Tuesday he'll be more used to his new environment. Do you suggest feeding him inside the cage still?

Also thank you! I love him so much

Thanks

Wow I am so sorry that happened! Yeah, I can see how much her spine is sticking out! I'm glad you got ahold of her though and saved her lil life. What a cute baby Right now I have adult medium mice for my boy but I am going to try to switch him to rat pups for his second feed (hoping he feeds this upcoming week >.<)

Thanks
    I think he looks good. What morph is he??
    Malcolm, '12 normal | Alice, '14 Pied | Sebastían, '15 Mojave | Damián, '16 Albino

View My iHerp Page

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypancistrus For This Useful Post:

crosskira (06-18-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypancistrus View Post
    I think he looks good. What morph is he??
    Yay! And he's a banana lesser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast