Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,310

1 members and 3,309 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swimming BP?

Thanks

Re: Swimming BP?

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I think I mentioned this on another thread before, but the one thing to keep in mind is the interior cage dimensions are slightly shorter, by about 2 inches.

For example a T8's interior is 10 inches tall instead of 12 and the doors are 8 if I recall correctly. So it also depends how much space do you want to work/have for ease of cleaning and access.
    Oh, yeah. Thanks for that. I think I may mock something up in cardboard with the interior dimensions and see how reaching in to clean it feels.

Thanks

The suction cup plants are also available on amazon and I think are cheaper there. I have a bunch.

https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Pla...470955011&th=1

The numbers in the signature are based on what sex they are - link to thread explaining below.

https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...1-0-1-1-0-mean

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

Flyheight (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flyheight View Post
    Oh, yeah. Thanks for that. I think I may mock something up in cardboard with the interior dimensions and see how reaching in to clean it feels.
    Truth be told, that's exactly what I did and it definitely helps! It's what made me decide I wanted a T12 over other models.
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Flyheight (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Kcl:
    Thanks!

MissterDog:
    Yeah it does sound practical now that I think about it.

For cage doors: Glass vs. Acrylic, what are the pros/cons of each material? Does anybody have recommendations on which to choose?
    AP has them listed as the same price on their T12 series enclosures so if I end up going that big it's just a matter of choosing.
    T8 glass is on sale so...still depends.

Thanks
    I've been hearing that glass is preferred because it doesn't scratch as easily and is not prone to warping, but I think it's still a debated thing. I personally went with sliding glass.

Here are a few threads I found about it.
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ass-vs-Acrylic
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...ass-or-plastic
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-vs-plexiglass
    http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru.../t-100590.html

Hope that helps

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Flyheight (05-18-2017)

Thanks
    Wow, thank you!

Scratching doesn't sound like it should matter much with a ball as the resident, but warping may be an issue with acrylic.
    Sounds like acrylic is better for clarity and would be nice but is secondary. Weight difference is pretty much a non-issue for me.
    Humidity retention in glass seems to be better while temperature retention in acrylic is better. I honestly couldn't know for sure which is more important in my setup in my geographic location without testing as I've never done this before.
    I'm looking primarily at sliding doors since I don't want hinges to swing out and get in the way, so hinge bearing weight wouldn't be an issue.

Sounds like I want glass, primarily on the grounds of avoiding potential warping. Don't want the bp escaping through gaps generated by warping.
    Though perhaps I should contact AP and see what they have to say about their models in particular for my climate, unless someone with similar experience here chimes in.

Thanks

Wow, thank you!

Scratching doesn't sound like it should matter much with a ball as the resident, but warping may be an issue with acrylic.
    Sounds like acrylic is better for clarity and would be nice but is secondary. Weight difference is pretty much a non-issue for me.
    Humidity retention in glass seems to be better while temperature retention in acrylic is better. I honestly couldn't know for sure which is more important in my setup in my geographic location without testing as I've never done this before.
    I'm looking primarily at sliding doors since I don't want hinges to swing out and get in the way, so hinge bearing weight wouldn't be an issue.

Sounds like I want glass, primarily on the grounds of avoiding potential warping. Don't want the bp escaping through gaps generated by warping.
    Though perhaps I should contact AP and see what they have to say about their models in particular for my climate, unless someone with similar experience here chimes in.
    I'd say definitely contact AP for feedback, Ali is suuuuuper helpful and great to bounce ideas off of and offer suggestions that will help benefit you and your future snake. Legit fantastic experience with her.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Flyheight (05-19-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 622 Posts
    One thing about giving your ball python a lot of water, if you have a Spider morph or other morph that can have a 'wobble' such as Champagne the snake can easily drown. I almost lost my male spider pied before I realized he should never be left alone with any water bigger than a small water dish like the ones built into rack system trays. Other ball pythons may appreciate it though, as long as it's shallow and the snake doesn't have a wobble. I also make sure the snake doesn't get into the water when they are feeding, if they get their head and rodent in the water I immediately pull them out. They never let go of the rodent, it's really safe for both the snake and keeper.

I actually spray my snakes down when I spray the substrate a couple times a week. I don't even soak them if they have a stuck shed, I just spray them with water, let them sit for about 5-10 minutes and then take them out and play with them rubbing my hands across their body. That usually takes the shed right off, but it has to be wetted first.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cchardwick For This Useful Post:

Flyheight (05-19-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MissterDog View Post
    I'd say definitely contact AP for feedback, Ali is suuuuuper helpful and great to bounce ideas off of and offer suggestions that will help benefit you and your future snake. Legit fantastic experience with her.
    Well that's a stellar endorsement. I'll do that then.

Quote Originally Posted by cchardwick View Post
    One thing about giving your ball python a lot of water, if you have a Spider morph or other morph that can have a 'wobble' such as Champagne the snake can easily drown. I almost lost my male spider pied before I realized he should never be left alone with any water bigger than a small water dish like the ones built into rack system trays. Other ball pythons may appreciate it though, as long as it's shallow and the snake doesn't have a wobble. I also make sure the snake doesn't get into the water when they are feeding, if they get their head and rodent in the water I immediately pull them out. They never let go of the rodent, it's really safe for both the snake and keeper.

I actually spray my snakes down when I spray the substrate a couple times a week. I don't even soak them if they have a stuck shed, I just spray them with water, let them sit for about 5-10 minutes and then take them out and play with them rubbing my hands across their body. That usually takes the shed right off, but it has to be wetted first.
    What do you mean by "wobble"? This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
    I've heard about keeping snakes out of the water during feeding. Thanks for the reminder.
    The spray thing for a stuck shed sounds like a good idea though. Thanks!

Thanks

Well that's a stellar endorsement. I'll do that then.

What do you mean by "wobble"? This is the first I've heard of such a thing.
    I've heard about keeping snakes out of the water during feeding. Thanks for the reminder.
    The spray thing for a stuck shed sounds like a good idea though. Thanks!
    Wobble is a neurological condition that's present in the spider gene. They basically have difficult telling up from down.

You can read more about it here: http://www.owalreptiles.com/issues.php
    Last edited by MissterDog; 05-19-2017 at 09:58 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MissterDog For This Useful Post:

Flyheight (05-20-2017)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast