Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,164

2 members and 2,162 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Wink Re: Do you ever take your snake out in public?

Lol thought I was the only one

miechBIG

Thanks

Re: Do you ever take your snake out in public?

I'm a new ball python owner and I was considering taking my BP with me on a hike. I've taken her on a "walk" with my dog and she seemed very curious and engaged. She mostly stayed on my shoulder or in my back pack. There was no public interaction and we walked for a few miles. I don't think it stressed her out since she kept her head out most of the time and readily ate her mouse afterward. What signs can I look for to see if this is too stressful? I'm not taking her to popular trails, just for a change in scenery.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaThePython View Post
    I'm a new ball python owner and I was considering taking my BP with me on a hike. I've taken her on a "walk" with my dog and she seemed very curious and engaged. She mostly stayed on my shoulder or in my back pack. There was no public interaction and we walked for a few miles. I don't think it stressed her out since she kept her head out most of the time and readily ate her mouse afterward. What signs can I look for to see if this is too stressful? I'm not taking her to popular trails, just for a change in scenery.
    Not a good idea imo It’s not worth the potential risks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Not a good idea at all. There's not a single benefit for the snake. Snakes aren't social animals and will only be stressed by going on a hike.
    I don't know where you hike but their could be birds of prey or other potential predators.

Also, snakes and other pets don't mix. Accidents can happen all too quickly. They may be domestic house pets, but at the core they're still animals and predators by nature. Again, literally zero benefit to the animal, only added stress.

As pet keepers it's our responsibility to put their needs above our own. And taking snakes for walks or having them out with other pets around would be for our benefit only. So in closing, no taking your snake on a hike is not a good idea.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (10-14-2019),MissterDog (10-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts

I'm mostly concerned with what you mean by "hike". In good weather (not too hot or too cool) I occasionally stroll in my privacy-fenced back yard to get some sun & fresh air for my snakes, one at a time & briefly...about 15 minutes. But I would never carry one with me while I walked my dogs or "hiked" on a public trail...stuff can happen rather quickly...like what if a stray dog attacked you or your dogs? It's very unsafe to be unable to control (or protect!) all your animals in unforeseen circumstances that can arise very quickly.

Now there's a few other concerns: sooner or later you may run across other people, & some of them will not appreciate being surprised by a snake where they don't expect to see one...there are some very phobic people around, & while it's not their fault, it's also not worth having to deal with their extreme reactions...trust me.

The biggest reason I'd say "no" is that there used to be a guy who walked around my town with his large boa on his shoulders, presumably for much the same reasons you're doing so...but snakes cannot tell you they're over-heating, & it's impossible for you to gauge their comfort, plus you might be a long ways from getting relief when you realize something is wrong. His snake died of sunstroke from him doing this...I'm serious...I found out from the vet's office. The thing is, dark colored snakes absorb more heat from the sun...then again, we're 98.6* so the snake is getting heat from our bodies too, so it really doesn't take too much to kill a snake this way, & it's massively sad. How would you feel? Please just don't do this...you will NOT know your snake is over-heated until it's too late to save his life.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-13-2019 at 11:21 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,197 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingNoFace View Post
    Its getting to the time of year where its around 30 degrees in my town. Ive been thinking of maybe going for a walk with my snake around a few blocks, just for something to do and to give her some fresh air. Does anyone do this regularly? What reactions do you get? The last thing I want is for people to feel uncomfortable when I come walking down the street with a snake in my hands. Let me know! Thanks!

I don't think they get much out of the experience but yes I do take them out around the public. I have yet to have a negative experience and taking my big girl Rainbow out draws a croud in a positive way. People want to experience seeing and touching her. I also do this with smaller ones and have had lots of positive experiences.

With that being said, sure there is risks involved. Parasites and other health risks are involved as well as general public can have a negative view on animals of various kinds and snakes are not loved by everyone. I have learned that most will avoid the situation if they feel negative about them. You have to know your animal well also. Bites are always a risk with any wild animals. I am lucky that my animals are handled tons and are used for education program. Using good judgement is a requirement when it comes to letting others around them and you are accountable for their actions around others.

To sum up....

1. Yes it can be positive for others to experience them.
    2. There are risks and education and caution are mandatory.
    3. There is no quality of life experience for the snake to be out in public.
    4. Check your home owners insurance and see if they cover your animal biting someone.
    5. Keep an eye out on people doing stupid things to your animal. (there are some stupid people out there.)

I take mine out and will continue to do so simply because I enjoy seeing people experience them and education of others is a passion of mine.

Thanks
    I only go as far as my yard with my snake unless I'm moving of course. I only bring him in the yard for less than 20 mins at a time. One time it was windy and since my snake had no idea what wind was he was nervous so I brought him right back in. He did seem to enjoy the nice days outside but anymore than 20 minutes would probably be over exposure till he gets used to it, which unfortunately my snake won't because I live in Canada so I get 8 months of winter.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 460 Posts
    No, not so far. I don't want to be mobbed by little kids who get curious and excited, and a lot of people are really deathly afraid, too. I think most of all it would probably stress the snakes out.

I have brought my snakes to a private homeschooling presentation where there were not very many kids, and they were well-behaved, and the snakes I brought are used to handling.
    2 BP's, one ratsnake, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 2 small caged birds, 7 chickens, and a toddler in a pear tree

Thanks
    Thanked 19,787 Times in 11,824 Posts
    Again, the question from ReginaThePython was about taking a snake on a hike of a few miles while walking dogs...in a back-pack or on shoulders:

PLEASE don't do this! Snakes HAVE DIED from sunstroke &-or being over-heated.... Remember we are 98.6* and when you add in the sun, your snake can die!

They have no way to let you know they're uncomfortable & you may be too far away (on a hike) to save them from the heat when this happens. Just don't do this.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (10-14-2019),MissterDog (10-14-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Again, the question from ReginaThePython was about taking a snake on a hike of a few miles while walking dogs...in a back-pack or on shoulders:

PLEASE don't do this! Snakes HAVE DIED from sunstroke &-or being over-heated.... Remember we are 98.6* and when you add in the sun, your snake can die!

They have no way to let you know they're uncomfortable & you may be too far away (on a hike) to save them from the heat when this happens. Just don't do this.

Agreed. Safely transporting snakes for scheduled meet and greets it educational events is one thing...when done right be the right people it can be great for our hobby.

Taking your snake for a "hike" or other "adventures" just to take them, now that's a horse of a different color. There's literally nothing to gain by doing this. Please don't do this...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-14-2019),MissterDog (10-14-2019)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast