Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,107

3 members and 3,104 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Live vs frozen thawed

I know it's better to feed thawed. But when do you switch? When a rat is able to post a threat or as soon as possible. I have a couple new babies . This is why I'm asking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 775 Posts
    The sooner, the better
    1.0 Freddy -Python Regius
    Darby -Boa Imperator
    Kenny -Morelia Bredli
    La Reina -Lampropeltis Californiae
    1.0 Luciano -Drymarchon Melanurus Unicolor
    0.1 Macarena -Heterodon Nasicus Nasicus
    1.0 Hugo -Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli

Morelia Mafia For Life

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RickyNY For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2019)

Thanks

Re: Live vs frozen thawed

My male butter pastel took his right away. Female spinner wanted nothing to do with it. Should I try everyday with her ? Twice a week ? Once a week. At what point do I feed her live or just wait her out until she eats thawed ?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 4,602 Times in 3,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gbryner45 View Post
    My male butter pastel took his right away. Female spinner wanted nothing to do with it. Should I try everyday with her ? Twice a week ? Once a week. At what point do I feed her live or just wait her out until she eats thawed ?
    Thanks
    ‘Seven of my snakes came to me as live eaters only as well as failed on frozen. Some had been on live for years. I converted all of them through tough love by skipping a feeding cycle or two or three.
    The one thing I found that you can count on about Balls is that they are consistent about their inconsistentcy.

1.2 Coastal Carpet Pythons
    Mack The Knife, 2013
    Lizzy, 2010
    Etta, 2013
    1.1 Jungle Carpet Pythons
    Esmarelda , 2014
    Sundance, 2012
    2.0 Common BI Boas, Punch, 2005; Butch, age?
    0.1 Normal Ball Python, Elvira, 2001
    0.1 Olive (Aussie) Python, Olivia, 2017

Please excuse the spelling in my posts. Auto-Correct is my worst enema.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reinz For This Useful Post:

jmcrook (11-14-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

I'm in the UK so our rules are a little different - generally we start on F/T.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    yea in the UK is it technically illegal to feed live, unless the snake is going to die if it doesnt?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sur3fir3 View Post
    yea in the UK is it technically illegal to feed live, unless the snake is going to die if it doesnt?
    It's not so much that - it is illegal to film a live feeding purely for entertainment however. If it is not filmed and there is a reasonable expectation the animal will not eat anything else then you would probably be able to get any charges dropped. The main issue is it is illegal to sell unweaned animals - and since most of the thought on the legislation was focused on more traditional pets that was taken to mean six weeks. So, unless you breed your own feeders and can produce a reliable supply, you will probably have a great deal of difficulty feeding hatchlings live prey.

To be honest though you can generally get the animals eating F/T without too much of a problem.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thawed from my experience I fed live a couple times to a picky Axanthic I got. As soon as I fed him enough to get passed his first couple weeks(About 3 feedings in) I stopped all feeding for a week or 2 used the hair dryer method and he gobbled like a turkey right before thanks giving.

I actually made a post about my first live feeding haha had me super paranoid about injuries.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gbryner45 View Post
    I know it's better to feed thawed. But when do you switch? When a rat is able to post a threat or as soon as possible. I have a couple new babies . This is why I'm asking.
    A couple things I've done in the past when I needed to switch snakes that initially objected to f/t-

-feed a smaller-than-meal-size live one first (the "appetizer"), then offer one f/t (not too big either, so the combined meal, if taken, isn't too large for the snake). Many
    snakes are still very pumped up from the first item to take it...then the next time offer only f/t & they should do better at recognizing it as edible. No guarantee though-
    some snakes -BPs especially -may only accept one item per meal no matter what. Just depends on your snake's personality quirks.

-another way to transition is to offer fresh-killed (not necessarily pleasant for you, but this can also help them to accept).

-young BPs are the least finicky, so for sure, switch them to f/t early as possible. It's safer, it's healthier, & often helps snakes be better (calmer) pets, less likely to bite
    out of confusion.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

ballpythonsrock2 (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    My banana wouldn't take thawed right away. He had only eaten live before I got him. I like to feed outside of there tanks. After feeding him 2 live hoppers in the feeding tub on the third attempt he knew it was time to eat when i put him in there. As soon as i got the thawed in front of his face he took it with extreme force!!! He ate it in less than 5 min than gave me the stink eye because he didn't get to do the work. It worked out well and he is now taking frozen/thawed with no issue now.