Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,703

3 members and 2,700 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Is this too skinny?

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    25-30 minutes is perfectly reasonable even without the process of figuring out how to put mouse face -> snake face. As for the gravity incident, personally I would just chalk that up to baby snakes being bad at things sometimes. It shouldn't have hurt him. Honestly, baby snakes? Just bad at understanding how to eat properly often. It took mine a year to stop trying to eat his by starting everywhere but the face. He also used the gravity trick a few times. Anything that's 10-15% of his body weight or the width of his body to slightly larger depending on how you choose to determine should be just fine. He's a baby and he's learning but he'll be ok even though it looks awkward to us.

Also, taylorr - lol. If it works for you, more power to you.

Hopefully mine would have the sense not to try for something that's not even warm but who knows? He might think that if it smells like rat, it = rat or he might not. The garter snakes meanwhile WILL try to eat anything that's vaguely food scented and sometimes things that are not even food scented if they get excited (e.g. plastic skull decoration, the glass side of the tank, my fingers when they were mad about their diet), so they've made me deeply wary...
    Oh thats sooo good to know! I was afraid he was much worse than normal at eating. OK I'll start giving him the benefit of the doubt and trust his ability to eat 10-15%

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Below please see one of my snake's most ridiculous eating attempts. He was completely unbothered by his choice to finish his meal upside down in the water bowl. :/ Sometimes things are a lot more stressful for us than the snake. He has since learned to eat properly 90% of the time and only occasionally tries to start eating it sideways or by the leg or by the ear.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (05-16-2017)

Thanks

Below please see one of my snake's most ridiculous eating attempts. He was completely unbothered by his choice to finish his meal upside down in the water bowl. :/ Sometimes things are a lot more stressful for us than the snake. He has since learned to eat properly 90% of the time and only occasionally tries to start eating it sideways or by the leg or by the ear.

Oh my word! Yep! That looks like something my guy would do. I just fed him today and he got it down the best I've ever seen so he seems to be learning which is good to see. (PS your enclosure and your snake are beautiful, is he a pastel morph?)

Thanks

Thanks! Yup, he's a pastel yellowbelly. I went in to the expo looking for a normal male since I didn't care much about morphs but that's not really a big thing, so I took a look at some of the cheaper morphs and picked him since he was the calmer baby when held. He's way bigger now and his enclosure has changed quite a bit because he grew out of all the old hides and I accidentally killed the bamboo with neglect just recently - the animals get all the love and the plants get none, whoops! It's currently more bare-bones than I'd like because I'm putting my efforts into setting up a new AP T8 for him with live plants and such. I'm super excited to move him!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (05-16-2017)

Thanks

Thanks! Yup, he's a pastel yellowbelly. I went in to the expo looking for a normal male since I didn't care much about morphs but that's not really a big thing, so I took a look at some of the cheaper morphs and picked him since he was the calmer baby when held. He's way bigger now and his enclosure has changed quite a bit because he grew out of all the old hides and I accidentally killed the bamboo with neglect just recently - the animals get all the love and the plants get none, whoops! It's currently more bare-bones than I'd like because I'm putting my efforts into setting up a new AP T8 for him with live plants and such. I'm super excited to move him!
    Oh wow! That will be awesome! Please post some photos on the forum when you make the big move 😉

Thanks

He has now been moved into his new bioactive home. He was very interested in everything. I stayed home with him yesterday to make sure everything was good because I am paranoid. He seemed happy enough.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (05-26-2017)

Thanks

That looks amazing! What tank are you using? I'd love to move my guy to a bioactive home but I dont have enough time for the upkeep rn :/

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound04 View Post
    That looks amazing! What tank are you using? I'd love to move my guy to a bioactive home but I dont have enough time for the upkeep rn :/
    Whoops just saw it said AP T8 😅 where did you purchase it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound04 View Post
    Whoops just saw it said AP T8 �� where did you purchase it?

The animal plastics website. Long ship time, good quality product at a decent price, pretty poor instructions but still easy enough to put together. Theoretically bioactive is very low upkeep once it's up and running properly. Most of the stuff inside (plants, leaf litter, cork bark, springtails, etc) are from Josh's frogs and the Bio Dude. I've been planning to do it for a long time, but I don't really regret letting him grow up a lot and making sure he was very well established before trying it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

spellbound04 (05-26-2017)

Thanks

The animal plastics website. Long ship time, good quality product at a decent price, pretty poor instructions but still easy enough to put together. Theoretically bioactive is very low upkeep once it's up and running properly. Most of the stuff inside (plants, leaf litter, cork bark, springtails, etc) are from Josh's frogs and the Bio Dude. I've been planning to do it for a long time, but I don't really regret letting him grow up a lot and making sure he was very well established before trying it.
    Thats a good idea, my little guy is still a baby so I'll probably give it some time to figure out how he likes things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12