Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,899

2 members and 2,897 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Adopted sickly python

Poor baby's probably never seen more than one meal if any at all. Congrats and yes its an obsession I got my first last August now have 4. Just try to keep an eye on how many you are truly able to provide for comfortably and economically and there should be no real problem, except maybe getting people to visit your home!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LiadanCroft; 05-14-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gplegend11 View Post
    here are a few pictures, thanks for helping me figure out how to post these.

yes he is in in quarantine . and yea i made it very clear to them that they WOULD give him to me for free because in no way could it be lawful to sell an animal in such condition. especially to an unknowing, innocent customer.

i even had a worker there argue with me that he wasn't that underweight.

btw i think i have an obsession.... i went to get feeders the other day and almost started crying that i couldn't walk out with their beautiful red tail boa

and on two good notes, i finally got sampson(first one) to take a rat instead of a mouse at his last feeding, and jasmine(2nd one, have had less than a month) has accepted the last 2 feedings, had a perfect shed, and has relaxed and no longer roams the enclosure.

Maybe I'll get shot down in flames here and I've no medical expertise .... but it has a look of dehydration to my untrained eyes !?!

I'm wondering if a short 20 minute soak in a plastic tub ( with a lid ) is worth trying ??

I had amazing success a couple of times over the years when I've taken in similar looking Royals ..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Maybe I'll get shot down in flames here and I've no medical expertise .... but it has a look of dehydration to my untrained eyes !?!

I'm wondering if a short 20 minute soak in a plastic tub ( with a lid ) is worth trying ??

I had amazing success a couple of times over the years when I've taken in similar looking Royals ..

hmmm I will do some research now to see if that could be helpful. Anyone else have any opinions on positives/negatives to a soak?
    His scales are very very rough and not textured right yes, however he was living in extremely low humidity forever and his tub is at 75% humidity right now which is high and may help. It should slowly drop the next couple days as his substrate dries out.

my initial thought would be to not, just because I really don't want to handle him at all so he can relax sooner which will lead to him eating sooner. But if there would be a major positive to his health by doing so that would outweigh the stress induced then I would.

. Just try to keep an eye on how many you are truly able to provide for comfortably and economically
    yup I hear you there. I am on standby now for a while before I get my next one. My business is taking off recently so hopefully within 1-2 years I can buy a house, and then I plan to continue building my collection, starting with a larger breed of some sort 😎

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    Yeah, poor kid looks crispy, he need rehydrating, STAT.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-15-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I'm very glad you didn't pay the pet store for the animal. Otherwise, the pet store would have been incentivized to keep bringing more in, taking advantage of people's compassion for animals to make a sale for profit.

Your time wasn't free however, possibly worth much more than the price of the snake, so it's quite generous of you to have expended it on an animal that needed a better home. Getting an animal out of the situation is quite well deserved.

Kudos!
    ~40 Ball Pythons (mostly Freeway/Asphalt, Bongo, GHI, and Leopard combos)
    3.8.3 Green Tree Pythons (mostly TM/TW blueline, a few Highland/Wamena)
    1.2 Children's Pythons
    1.2 Cay Caulker Boas
    1.2 Black Fuli House Snakes
    1.0.4 Amazon Tree Boas (1x tiger, 3x halloween garden, 1x garden)

Thanks

i decided the pros might outweigh the cons so i did take him out yesteday for a small soak. he had been in his enclosure for three days with high end humidity(but still within range), and here he is after his soak before i put him back in.

i do think he is looking less crispy and perhaps even a better color... although of course i may have a bias since i am just happy he is in a good environment now!!

now just to wait until friday(one week mark) to offer food. i am expecting him to deny the first but hoping at the following week he will take it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gplegend11 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-16-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gplegend11 View Post
    i decided the pros might outweigh the cons so i did take him out yesteday for a small soak. he had been in his enclosure for three days with high end humidity(but still within range), and here he is after his soak before i put him back in.

i do think he is looking less crispy and perhaps even a better color... although of course i may have a bias since i am just happy he is in a good environment now!!

now just to wait until friday(one week mark) to offer food. i am expecting him to deny the first but hoping at the following week he will take it.
    He looks plumper to my 'biased' eyes

How long was he soaking for and was there a lid on or did you watch him in an open container ??

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    He looks plumper to my 'biased' eyes

How long was he soaking for and was there a lid on or did you watch him in an open container ??

he did just about a ten minute soak. The lid was rested on top and tilted just slightly so there was a small opening. I was happy to see he unballed and let his whole body lay in the water.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gplegend11 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-17-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Even my "don't soak the snake" self might soak this one. If i did not see him drinking or he started to stress I would immediately stop and not repeat. Stress on top of the condition that animal is already in could be very bad. Something needs to go into that animal soon. When it does, I suggest the the prey is wet. I would not wait. I would make sure it eats.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 05-17-2017 at 11:33 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-17-2017),gplegend11 (05-17-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Something needs to go into that animal soon. When it does, I suggest the the prey is wet. I would not wait. I would make sure it eats.
    This. I would try a f/t hopper mouse, warm it up in warm water, and offer it wet. The fur on the hopper will hold more moisture than a rat fuzzy of the same feeder weight.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

gplegend11 (05-17-2017)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast