Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,844

1 members and 2,843 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Adopted sickly python

I have too many stories from when I worked at a big box pet store that did these same things. While I quit to pursue a job closer to my major, I would have EASILY lost my sanity had I stayed there longer. From feeding them basically pinkies every 7 days to chronic stuck shed to just straight up deterioration and euthanization because the conditions were awful and the managers never wanted to deal with the adoption process. It's hard to work there and not try to smuggle them all out ever night. Ever time I go in to buy supplies for my pets, I see a more disappointing setup for the bp's. Three that I know of died from ignorance and/or basic neglect.

I'm glad you were able to work it out! The store you worked with seemed much more reasonable than mine. A gorgeous 1000+g BP stayed in a not even 10 gal size enclosure for over a year before it was discounted (not even adopted out) from its $350 price tag. So even that rule is a myth sometimes. The managers I worked with always pushed it aside :/ The BP y'all helped out looked like every BP I saw in the store for more than two weeks.

I would imagine describing proper living conditions would be an easy home run in any case, there's nothing correct about the husbandry in most stores. It all depends on the managers and then employees to correctly house these animals, and most places keep it cheap. Never once saw a BP shed without assistance or without stuck shed. A few easy things to spot for a complaint/adoption proposal: would catch dirty or empty water bowls, no hides, one hide no decorations and two snakes competing for a warm spot, starvation, visible ribs/spine, days old poop (no excuse, they poop MAYBE once a week), blatantly dangerous/inappropriate temps, cohabbing frequently, huge snake tiny space, and ask to see feeding records and see how many weeks without food they've gone due to stress. Please don't be afraid to speak out, even if you don't plan to adopt, maybe even ask for corporate's contact info. Just do NOT be hostile and no matter how hard it is, don't be a know-it-all jerk. Staff will NOT take you seriously, and will make you a joke the second you leave. Chances are they literally don't know any better.

Buying is not rescue, adoption is much more effective. While the breeders will still send more to replace it, they won't have made any money off it, and there will be a record of the conditions of the adoption. If it happens enough, perhaps the store will no longer be allowed to sell reptiles. //endrant

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ferrislongdog For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-21-2017),gplegend11 (05-20-2017)

Thanks

Yea I am excited to try again next time. I'm really hoping it goes just as well. I'll keep you guys posted if he keeps feeding easily or if he becomes a trouble maker 👍🏼.

Thanks

Actually I do have a question for you all. How long do you guys think I should wait before trying 2nd feeding? A full week to give him lots of time to stay relaxed or a few days sooner since he is so skinny?

Thanks

In my opinion, if he is out and looking for food (probably at night if he's like mine), if it's as close as five days I'd say go for it. You can certainly wait a full 7 days, but I would think if he's comfortable enough to want food in a few days, take the opportunity to establish a feeding schedule. If he knows he has the right temps to digest a meal and he's safe enough to sit around and let it settle, that's perfect. Just hold out and see how it goes and if he's up for it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ferrislongdog For This Useful Post:

gplegend11 (05-21-2017)

Thanks

Well just an update for you guys. He's eating like a freaking champ. Today I fed him his hopper mouse. Afterwards he continued to stick his head outside of his hide and seem interested for more... I heated up another and whabam! He took down the 2nd one like the beast he is. I have now named him Rudy. The little underdog to make a success out of himself....(if you have seen the movie).

i will post a few pictures of him in a few days after he has time to digest so you can see how much better he looks.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gplegend11 For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (05-31-2017),C.Marie (05-31-2017),dr del (05-31-2017),Kcl (06-02-2017),L.West (06-02-2017)

Thanks

here he is.... looking much better. this is after 3 consecutive successful feedings.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gplegend11 For This Useful Post:

dr del (06-04-2017),Kcl (06-02-2017),L.West (06-02-2017),tttaylorrr (06-02-2017)

Thanks

quick comparison pic from when I got him....

Thanks

He looks completely different. That's awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

He looks so much chubbier! He's adorable!

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

Thanks
    Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,891 Posts
    AWESOME!
    4.4 ball python
    1.0 Albino 0.1 Coral Glow 0.1 Super Cinnamon paradox 1.0 Piebald 0.1 Pastel Enchi Leopard het Piebald 1.0 Coral Glow het Piebald

1.0 corn snake
    1.0 Hypo

1.0 crested gecko
    0.1 ????

0.1 cat
    0.1 Maine Coon mix

0.1 human ✌︎

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast