Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,876

3 members and 2,873 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Question Is BHB a quality breeder?

I've enjoyed watching snake bytes and Brians vlogs were what really got me interested in reptiles and BHB has seemed like a very good breeder that really cares about their animals. And I would like to get a BP from them.

But on a FB groupe people were saying bad things about BHB as breeders and Brian as a person. They said that the animal would die the next day or come with mites. And as a person they said Brian was a jerk.

The thing is alot of the people didn't seem to always know what they are talking about all the time. And thought perhaps it was some band wagon people jumped on with no hard facts.

Brian seems like such a nice guy that cares about his animals and the animals he sells. I want BHB to be a quality breeder and I also want Brian to be a nice guy.

But as far as this thread is concerned I just need to know how your experiences with BHB has been.

Thanks for the help

2. The Following User Says Thank You to The Breaker For This Useful Post:

Chilcie (05-13-2017)

Thanks
    hi!! i got my first (and only) ball python from BHB. i was scared especially bc it was my first time receiving in animal in the mail like that, but it was great.
    the package came right when it was supposed to. the price was pretty decent, and beautiful snakes as well. my snake came healthy, no mites, respiratory infections, etc.
    so yes, my experience has been great and i would definetly recommend BHB.

Thanks
    I haven't bought from the guy, but I wouldn't have second thoughts about it. But if you really are concerned, there are many breeders with great reps.

I enjoy his YouTube channel, and I think it gives me enough entertainment that if I ever wanted one of his snakes, I'd buy one without question. Reality is that when you get as big as his operation, qc can be difficult to keep up with- more so with your staff then your livestock. This may or may not be the case with bhb.

No offense to some pet store workers out there, but the majority of pet store employees are actually terrible at their job and for some reason carry a god complex. I suspect it is the same with any major breeding opt, which leads to rude customer service and at times, poor quality animals. Again, I don't know about bhb, but I can say that I've met many breeders with bad reviews, but some of the bad rap just doesn't jive.

Personally, if this will be your only ball, I would look for a breeder that you are 100% comfortable with, and there are quite a few of them with unblemished reputations.
    Last edited by ringorock; 05-13-2017 at 05:38 AM.

Thanks
    When you are successful people are going to hate. More often than not these people are too lazy or lack imagination. They don't have the get up and go to do for themselves. So they find it much easier to tear down some one who are accomplishing their goals. Brian is a good guy and he cares for his animals. You will be fine ordering from him. I wouldn't hesitate to order from him myself.
    Last edited by Tigerhawk; 05-13-2017 at 06:46 AM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tigerhawk For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-13-2017),EDR (05-13-2017),PitOnTheProwl (05-13-2017),ringorock (05-13-2017),Ronniex2 (05-13-2017),tttaylorrr (05-13-2017)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    The dude with the gator in a little pool and obese monitors in racks? I'll pass.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoingPostal For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-13-2017),AjBalls (05-13-2017),jclaiborne (05-25-2017),Samurai (02-13-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Is BHB a quality breeder?

Brian and his operation are a worldwide known business that has great reviews on Fauna Classifieds BOI (board of inquiry). I have purchased several animals from him in the past and present and have nothing but good things to say about the quality of his animals. Listen, anytime you have a huge operation as he does there is eventually going to be some issues, they are few and far between at BHB. Consider familiarizing yourself with his t.o.s. (Terms of service) before you purchase and speak to him or his wife as well. I know they stand by their animals and overall have customer friendly procedures in place.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    BHB did have a problem with mites or a while but that really isn't a deal breaker as long as you quarantine your animals.
    There are some things on SnakeBytes that I don't care for but I do also understand they are shooting for the "wow" factor and to attract people.
    He really does have a strong passion for this hobby too.
    There are lots of people that don't like him and I think many that don't have never had any personal experience and its just because their cousins uncles sisters brothers husband heard something he didn't like.
    I personally wouldn't have and second thoughts about buying any animals from him if cash wasn't an issue.
    Do keep in mind that his animals draw a premium because of who they are coming from too.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-13-2017),ringorock (05-13-2017),Samurai (02-13-2019)

Thanks

You can listen to an interview with Brian on the Snakes and the Fatman podcast where he addresses some of the issues he has had in the past and what they did to correct it. He stands by his animals and is willing to deal with any issues. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from him.

Thanks
    Thank you all for the great info! I understand that his animals are slightly more pricey. But without him I don't think I'd even be interested in snakes. So I'd like to support him.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Breaker For This Useful Post:

Chilcie (05-13-2017),DLena (05-13-2017),dr del (05-13-2017),ringorock (05-13-2017),Sunnieskys (05-13-2017),TerrieL (06-11-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Breaker View Post
    Thank you all for the great info! I understand that his animals are slightly more pricey. But without him I don't think I'd even be interested in snakes. So I'd like to support him.
    This is really important. Anyone/business who gives you something of value should always be given your consideration when it comes to purchasing. Sure, his snakes are on the pricier end, but few other breeders put that much money and effort into media that you consume for your education and entertainment. There's a cost to that, and they have to pay for it somehow. The problem with the internet is that it becomes a forum for stupid. I read on a forum once about how someone didn't like Brian when he asked Brian something along the lines of how he (the questioner) can become so passionate with reptiles. I think Brian's response was to find the species you love, breed them, and do it for the bonding experience and not the money. The guy said he was mad at Brian for that response, because he didn't want to be a breeder nor did he mention it to Brian. Well, he asked for Brian's opinion. He got an honest one, and now he doesn't like Brian. What an idiot.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ringorock For This Useful Post:

Chilcie (05-16-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-25-2017),MyBPsAreRad (05-25-2017),PitOnTheProwl (05-13-2017),tttaylorrr (06-08-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast