Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,757

5 members and 2,752 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

The Left Passing Lane

this is my 3,000th post! woo-hoo!!

so do u get annoyed by unlawful drivers that impede the left lane on the freeways aka the passing lane? unless your state or local law states otherwise, these are not traveling lanes. you're supposed to get in, speed up, pass and get out. so what are these slow driving lane hogs doing driving in the left passing lane? i always think these drivers are trying to make somekind of statement lol. furthermore it's not really safe to impede the passing lane.

one cool thing about the passing lane is that many places allow u to drive beyond the speed limit in order to pass another slow moving vehicle in front of u. for example, here in Washington state, RCW 46.61.425 states that we "may exceed the speed limit" to pass a vehicle driving less than the legal maximum speed limit. on the freeway, i can hit 80 mph or more before i can safely pass the slower vehicle.

anyway what do u think about drivers traveling in the left passing lane? how fast have u driven in the left lane in order to pass another vehicle?

(please keep your responses lawful. )
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

Thanks
    One of the many reasons I wish I had a machine gun.

When the speed limit is 45 and there are 2 lanes, don't drive next to the driver in the right lane going 40. It's a passing lane, you should be passing them. OR AT LEAST GOING THE BLOODY SPEED LIMIT
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

Booper (05-12-2017)

BPnet Senior Member AbsoluteApril's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,605 Times in 1,296 Posts
    One thing I enjoyed about driving in France was that in the fast lane, if a vehicle came up behind you, they would flash their lights to let you know to get over and people would (shock of shocks!) get over to let the faster car go by.
    For the Horde!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AbsoluteApril For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-12-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    Let's assume that the speeds I indicated were lawful where I hit them. Same answer as last post.

People that drive slow in the fast/passing lane are passive aggressive and are actually larger road hazards than the people going too fast.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
    One thing I enjoyed about driving in France was that in the fast lane, if a vehicle came up behind you, they would flash their lights to let you know to get over and people would (shock of shocks!) get over to let the faster car go by.
    Same deal in Germany.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

AbsoluteApril (05-12-2017)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: The Left Passing Lane

I still do it and surprisingly it works here too, well unless the driver is in his own little world.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,152 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oxylepy View Post
    One of the many reasons I wish I had a machine gun.
    uh oh, i don't think those are lawful. i'm trying not to encourage unlawful behavior in this thread lol.

you're from the Bay. i miss driving on the 880. the stretch between Berkley and Union is a thrill lol!

Quote Originally Posted by JodanOrNoDan View Post
    Let's assume that the speeds I indicated were lawful where I hit them. Same answer as last post.
    what were u driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I still do it and surprisingly it works here too, well unless the driver is in his own little world.
    how fast have u driven your Hemi Challenger to pass another slower vehicle in the left lane?
    RIP Mamba
    ----------------

Wicked ones now on IG & FB!6292

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    I do this as well and sometimes it works, other times I have had people get very upset. Road rage seems to be a thing in South Florida. I also flash my lights to tell trucks its safe to get over and to warn of a possible ticket up the road.

Thanks
    I live in PA. We have a LOT of reasons to flash lights. Downed trees, deer, police (we have ridiculous speed limits that are in no way related to eachother), turning on head lights, letting someone go... there are so many reasons to flash
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ax01 View Post
    how fast have u driven your Hemi Challenger to pass another slower vehicle in the left lane?
    As fast as the law allows me, while there is speed limit law enforcement allows a certain margin over said speed limit for which they will not pull you over and I stick to that.

If I want to take that Hemi for a spin their is a race track near by , still in the broken in period for now.
    Last edited by Stewart_Reptiles; 05-12-2017 at 05:08 PM.
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    1) In the US apparently flashing to pass is "aggressive driving" but in Europe drivers know to move over. Their tests and standards are a lot tougher though.

2) Yes you can legally own a machine gun in the US (I have several ), unless you live in a state like CA where they are banned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast