Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,017

2 members and 3,015 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts

So I guess I have a pet rat now.

Tried to tempt Snickers into eating with a rat fuzzy. Figured that would be small enough to not intimidate her, but she still wanted nothing to do with it. Left it in her tub over night; figured at that size it couldn't possibly do any damage, and she might want to eat if things were dark and quiet. It was still there in the morning, curled up on on the warm spot. Went to work. Came home and it was still there, had opened it's eyes, and was toddling awkwardly around the tub. Snickers is still being a grump under her hide, so she gets another tube feeding on Monday, but now I have a baby rat, guessing around about 2 weeks old, and showing no distress. Welp.

Got some powdered puppy formula at the store and it's been gobbling down about 7 ml every 4 or 5 hours no problem. If it lives out another week I think it gets to be the lucky one.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts
    LOL. I have zero tolerance for rats. It would have found a new home in my freezer.

Thanks
    Rats are pretty awesome. The other day I had the absolute sweetest little brown rat. It was so nice, loved the thing. About to be moving, though, so I'd feeding off my breeders, and the ones that were being groomed to be new breeders went first, followed by the male.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

Thanks
    If you are trying to keep the rat fuzzy alive, you should note that it is likely young enough to need stimulated to urinate and defecate. This should be done before every feeding.

1.0 Pastel yellowbelly ball python -Pipsy
    2.0 Checkered garter snakes - Hazama & Relius
    1.0 Dumeril's boa - Bazil

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kcl For This Useful Post:

Lizardlicks (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    AW! Are you attached already?

If this happened to me, I'd raise the rat until my bp starts eating again, and then probably would still feed it off...

Thanks

Re: So I guess I have a pet rat now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    If you are trying to keep the rat fuzzy alive, you should note that it is likely young enough to need stimulated to urinate and defecate. This should be done before every feeding.
    Yup, have been doing so. Mom used to breed Persian cats and I've had to raise a few babies by hand. Rat is smaller, but same general principle.

Honestly my husband and I really do love rats, and we were talking about getting a few and keeping pets that would also help offset feeding but... that was supposed to be a later on down the line like maybe in a year or two kind of thing. Guess that got bumped up, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    AW! Are you attached already?

If this happened to me, I'd raise the rat until my bp starts eating again, and then probably would still feed it off...
    I think by the time she's feeling ready to eat the pup might be too big. I'll have to go get a new fuzzy.
    Last edited by Lizardlicks; 05-12-2017 at 01:37 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Kcl (05-12-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    Yup, have been doing so. Mom used to breed Persian cats and I've had to raise a few babies by hand. Rat is smaller, but same general principle.
    Yup - pretty much the same deal with all baby mammals on that so you should be good to go! Some are just more likely to manage to pee on you than others...

I hope I never have to deal with feeding live baby rodents to anything again. They squeak and I feel so guilty.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kcl View Post
    Yup - pretty much the same deal with all baby mammals on that so you should be good to go! Some are just more likely to manage to pee on you than others...

I hope I never have to deal with feeding live baby rodents to anything again. They squeak and I feel so guilty.
    I hear ya. Last pup I got from the supplier was a pretty little hooded rex. Felt like kind of a waste using it as a feeder. I try to get my kids over onto f/t as soon as possible so I don't have to deal with live.

Thanks

I hear ya. Last pup I got from the supplier was a pretty little hooded rex. Felt like kind of a waste using it as a feeder. I try to get my kids over onto f/t as soon as possible so I don't have to deal with live.
    After dealing with live for one snake, getting something that is already on f/t moved waaay up on my list of requirements for anything I buy in the future. I can do it, but I hate it and don't want to again. I also ended up with a mouse for a month until I got it rehomed during that experience. It at least could eat on its own but I had to give it more of a formula mash type mix for a while. Rodents are just not for me as pets. Too much pooping.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts

I had that feel back when Cake still had to eat live, and the store gave me this cute curly-haired light grey dumbo! It was super cute, but the snake has to eat... It looked something like this

Last edited by redshepherd; 05-12-2017 at 02:07 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-12-2017),Kcl (05-12-2017),Prognathodon (05-13-2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast