Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,403

3 members and 3,400 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,537
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Please Help! Weird Shed/Skin Looking Piece On My BP's Eye

Hey guys, so my albino BP just had his shed. It was a decent shed, everything but the top of the head came off over night, I proceeded to help him out and loosen up the top of his head's shed with a soak and he did the rest. But, I took a look and noticed a piece stuck on the side of his eye. I'm not sure if this is stuck shed or something else I should be really worried about. I don't think it is a whole entire eye cap because both of his eyes are super clear and bright red now, seems like there is just something on the edge (maybe a piece of the eyecap?). I've attached some pictures please take a look at let me know what I can do about it, thanks!

Link to picture: http://imgur.com/a/wkS3y

EDIT: I actually took a look at a picture I have of him before his shed and he actually has the same thing there, maybe its just how he was born perhaps? No clue, please help!
    Last edited by Alexthepooky; 05-11-2017 at 06:21 PM.

BPnet Senior Member Lizardlicks's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 657 Posts
    It's just a little piece of skin that connects the spectacle (eye cap) to the rest of the skin. It gets displaced really easy, and doesn't hurt the snake at all, so just don't mess with it and it will be fine. Should go back to normal by the next shed. It does look like the eyecap may be a little dented though, which is usually a humidity issue. You may solve both problems by making sure you have the humidity right.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizardlicks For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-12-2017)

Thanks

Re: Please Help! Weird Shed/Skin Looking Piece On My BP's Eye

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardlicks View Post
    It's just a little piece of skin that connects the spectacle (eye cap) to the rest of the skin. It gets displaced really easy, and doesn't hurt the snake at all, so just don't mess with it and it will be fine. Should go back to normal by the next shed. It does look like the eyecap may be a little dented though, which is usually a humidity issue. You may solve both problems by making sure you have the humidity right.
    Sounds good, thanks!

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Yup, nothing worth worrying too much about.

But yeah, looks like you could get your humidity a little better moving forward. The shed process is affected by your husbandry from the get-go, not just once the snake is in blue. Make some adjustments and you should see some perfect sheds in your future and that eye will fix itself.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Hard to tell from the picture but often stuck eyecap are recognizable by that skin around as the spectacle itself is transparent. I've had to remove them once from a boa that shed perfectly otherwise and that skin around was the only sign.

I PERSONALLY would try to remove it with tweezers (don't use the tape method ever). Stuck eyecap aren't always resolved with a good next shed.

Any chance you can post a better pic?
    Last edited by Aste88; 05-12-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    3.10 ball python(banana spider moj enchi, lavander, spider leopard, dreamsicle, 2 pied, bumblebee, pinstripe, butter pastel, superpastel, pastel, pastave, het dreasmicle)
    1.1 boa c. imperator (albino, hypo)
    1.2 carpet python (zebra, jaguar, jungle)
    2.2 burmese python (hypo, pearl, dwarf hypo, dwarf)
    0.1 brazilian rainbow boa
    1.1 hognose (albino, tiger anaconda)
    1.1 california king (albino, chocolate stripe)
    1.1 mexican black king
    1.1 corn (caramel)
    1.1 honduran milk (albino, hypo)
    0.0.1 green tree python
    0.0.1 argentine tegu

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aste88 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

if it was a retained spectacle the edges of the skin would be frayed - that looks smooth to me.

Since the removal of the live spectacle will probably result in blindness I would just keep an eye on it.
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (05-12-2017)

Thanks
    I know this is an old post, but how is the eye looking? Im seeing the exact same thing on my BPs eye today. I will try and post a somewhat clear picture of it. I saw this post when it wasnt old, and I immediately thought of it when I saw this on my snakes eye. I hope everything looks normal by now on your snake!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Yup, looks the same to me. It will correct itself, just give it time. It's something fairly common, I've seen it before with my BP too.