Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 870

1 members and 869 guests
Gio,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: What type of snake should I get?

I'm only 16, i dont have enough money for both. I do have money for one or the other though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Burke View Post
    I'm only 16, i dont have enough money for both. I do have money for one or the other though.
    You can wait until a reptile expo is near you and then go pick out a snake then! You'd have many choices to choose from and you'd get to talk to a breeder one on one and that would probably narrow down your choice! Plus at reptile shows snakes are a lot cheaper! I've seen normal balls from $10-$25 dollars! If you don't have reptile shows near you one of the absolute best things you could do is go to a reptile rescue! A lot of people dump snakes and you can get a very nice morph for super cheap and give a snake a second chance! I got my chocolate ghi morph for $60 lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vithaxton For This Useful Post:

Burke (05-10-2017),JodanOrNoDan (05-10-2017),MissterDog (05-10-2017)

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vithaxton View Post
    You can wait until a reptile expo is near you and then go pick out a snake then! You'd have many choices to choose from and you'd get to talk to a breeder one on one and that would probably narrow down your choice! Plus at reptile shows snakes are a lot cheaper! I've seen normal balls from $10-$25 dollars! If you don't have reptile shows near you one of the absolute best things you could do is go to a reptile rescue! A lot of people dump snakes and you can get a very nice morph for super cheap and give a snake a second chance! I got my chocolate ghi morph for $60 lol

If money is a factor definitely understand that an expensive snake doesn't make a better pet than a cheap one. Boys are cheaper than girls and often make better pets. Normal ball pythons and "common" cornsnakes (I actually like the normal corns better than any of the morphs) can be had for less than the price of a meal at mcdonalds. The housing is going to cost more than the animal. Feeding it is going to cost you 2 to 5 dollars a week depending where you are getting your food from.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

Burke (05-10-2017),MissterDog (05-10-2017)

Thanks

What size of a tank should I get for my snake? What is a good website/store to get them at an okay price? I dont want to use a plastic container though.

BPnet Senior Member JodanOrNoDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,853 Times in 1,575 Posts

What size of a tank should I get for my snake? What is a good website/store to get them at an okay price? I dont want to use a plastic container though.
    My advice would be don't knock the plastic container. Read some threads on here about tubs and you will realize why especially if you are trying to keep a ball. A corn is a little easier to keep and a little more forgiving with husbandry issues. Regardless of which way you go, a thermostat is going to be your biggest investment. A tub will cost you around $8. A tank will be about $1 a gallon.

Read the stick threads about setups here.
    Last edited by JodanOrNoDan; 05-10-2017 at 03:34 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JodanOrNoDan For This Useful Post:

MissterDog (05-10-2017)

Thanks
    Adult females can easily be kept in a 3'x2' enclosure. So keep that in mind, down to about 2.5'x1.5'

Now, that is floor space. For the plastic tubs you don't like, there is only like 7 inches of space above the snake.

Look into enclosures with that floor space, and whatever you want for overhead space. You'll want to keep the right temperatures and humidity in the enclosure, for that you don't really want something with overhead ventilation, but instead on the sides, and not too much ventilation.

Keep in mind that in all likelihood you'll be coming back freaking out why your snake is having so many issues.

Meanwhile I'm sitting next to a wooden box enclosure with a glass front and a friggin chickenwire mesh lid that is being heated by a 13w compact florescent bulb in a house that is between 68 and 72 degrees... and there is a 24 year old corn snake in there that has been in that enclosure for 20 years (at a different house; but she's currently fine-ish in this house).
    Last edited by Oxylepy; 05-10-2017 at 03:48 PM.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

Burke (05-10-2017)

Thanks

I'm going to be 100% honest with you do not get a tank if your a lazy person lol You will have to mist that thing like crazy! I use tubs! The best setup for a first time snake owner that I always recommend is going to Walmart and buying a tub there. A 41 quart tub will hold big females. If your getting a adult ball I recommend that size. It costs around $10 to $15. Then poke some holes in the sides for air ventilation or the top. I always do the top! Your going to need a humidity gauge for a while till you get the hang of it. Depending on how many holes you have will determine humidity in the tub! More holes less humidity! Less holes more humidity. Don't be scared to put a lot of holes at first you can always tape them up if you have too many. Now go get a under the tub heat pad from Petco. Make sure it is Zoomed! It's a sticky pad and goes on the bottom of about a quarter to half the tub. That will be the hotspot! Now make sure you buy a thermostat for the heat pad. They sell those there also! Plug the heat pad into that and set the thermostat to 80-85 don't set it any higher until you know the exact temp of the heat pad. You can get a heat gun from home depo and it's like a laser gun! Point it at the heat pad and it will tell you the temperature! You've pretty much got it setup! Add a hide (cave) and a big water bowl and use paper towels as substrate! You can also slide the tub under your bed and then slide it out when you want to handle your snek! lol that's what I originally did with my balls! Good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Vithaxton For This Useful Post:

Burke (05-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,028 Times in 904 Posts
    Seconding on the thermostat. Out of everything this is the most important equipment that would be worth investing money in to ensure safety and reliability. Remember, you will save way more money long term if you get a higher quality thermostat now rather than a cheaper one you will need to repair within a year or two. Make sure to save up for that!
    1.0 Ball Python (Mystic Potion) Tapioca
    0.1 Northern Pine Snake - Impa
    0.1 Russian Rat Snake (Melanistic) Kallari (RIP)

Thanks
    You know what? Don't get a ball python, get a corn snake.

You're young and want to save some money on your pet snake and the enclosure. You also don't want to use tubs.

For ball pythons you're going to need to spend 200 to 300 dollars on an acceptable enclosure that doesn't require constant stressful attention. A tank can work, and can be made into something that works for ball pythons without constant attention, but it will require serious effort to set up on your part. You'll need a good thermostat and a lot of other stuff. It will still be 200 to 300 dollars to convert a tank, and it won't look nice or pretty. Let me break each of the acceptable BP enclosure styles down for you.

Things you need regardless: Heat tape or a heat mat, thermostat, water dish, hides. That's 20-40 dollars on the heating, 100 dollars on a good thermostat where you don't need to worry, and about 10 dollars for the dish and hides (assuming you are going with a dog dish and a few terracotta bases). That's about 150 dollars.

Tank: You need a tank, lid, clips for the lid or straps, and to cover the lid almost completely. You will also need a good substrate. End result is about 150 dollars, or less if you get it second hand.

Tub: You need a tub and some straps, done deal 20 dollars.

Reptile enclosure designed for the purpose: You need the enclosure, about 200 to 300 dollars.

Your options are 170 dollars on a tub, 300 on a tank, or 400 on a reptile enclosure.

Go for the corn snake.
    Ball Pythons 1.1 Lesser, Pastel
    1.0 Lesser Pastel, 0.0.7 mixed babies

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oxylepy For This Useful Post:

Burke (05-10-2017),MissterDog (05-10-2017),Prognathodon (05-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    If you're a bit short on money AND you want a tank, and you like both, then this is the only situation I'd say to get a corn snake... if you have to get a snake.

Keep in mind that your setup with even a cheap thermostat ($30), DIGITAL hygrometer ($10), and temp gun ($25) combined can cost much more than the snake. Like Vith said, normal ball python and corn snakes are CHEAP, sometimes even for free. But just because an animal is cheap, doesn't mean you're allowed to take worse care of it.

You can get all the necessary stuff on both reptilebasics.com and amazon.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-10-2017 at 06:55 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

Burke (05-10-2017),Kira (05-11-2017),MissterDog (05-10-2017),Prognathodon (05-11-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12