Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,113

2 members and 3,111 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Any monitor species (even the smaller ones, like an ackie) require a more specialized husbandry setup then what you described you are ready for. Blue tongue skinks are fun, and once you have them dialed in they are easy to care for. Any of the Indo species require a slightly different setup (higher humidity) then the Australian Species. Someone else already mentioned a Uromastyx. They require pretty high basking temperatures, but not super difficult. Other lizards I could think of would be Agamas and Chuckwallas. You mentioned that they had to be ok in a 4ft cage. Do you already have the cage or is that just your size requirement? If you already have it what type of cage is it and what are the actual dimensions. Lizards are more active than most snakes, and will make use of the entire cage, so width and height of the cage is just as important.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    0.1 B&W Tegu, 1.0 Bearded Dragon, 1.1 IJ Blue Tongue Skinks
    FROGS
    0.0.5 Dendrobates tinctorius 'Citronella'
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    How about a Giant Green Ameiva? I have a few wild in my yard. They are beautiful!
    0.1 Super Pastel BP "Melly"
    1.0 Banana/Coral Glow BP "Titan"
    1.0 Morelia Bredli "Alpha Omega"
    0.1 Cavachon "Lola"
    0.1 Tabby Cat “Gato”
    0.2 Chickens
    1.0 Thoroughbred “Beau”
    1.0 Siberian Hamster "Bean"
    0.1 Wife
    1.2 Kids

Full House Living the suburban farm life in Miami.

Thanks

Re: I want an up to 3 foot lizard... what are my options?

This is my female bearded dragon, she is a beast, always has been, but she is a good girl, she is three years old now and she gets greens and a few mealworms daily and I breed dubia roaches for her too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Finn0208 For This Useful Post:

Vithaxton (05-10-2017)

Thanks
    Thank you all so much for the help

After looking at various other friends - Ackies, Egyption Uros, and the green ameiva - I have decided that it's come down back to the Beardy and the BTS
    Its just something about them that me and the other half are really into

I saw theres a show called the IHS show in doncaster - is there a way to see who is going? I'd wanna go but its a long drive for me and I don't know if they have anything other than snakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RoflOnMyWaffle View Post

After looking at various other friends - Ackies, Egyption Uros, and the green ameiva - I have decided that it's come down back to the Beardy and the BTS

I saw theres a show called the IHS show in doncaster - is there a way to see who is going? I'd wanna go but its a long drive for me and I don't know if they have anything other than snakes.
    The nice thing about a Blue Tongue is that you do not have to feed them insects. I make a mixture of meat, greens, veggies, and fruit in bulk and freeze it. I don't know about the availability of reptiles where you are at, however out here depending on the species of Blue Tongue Skink you are interested in you may have to be patient. There are many different BTS species. The Australian species are all captive bred and they can't be exported from Australia, so generally unless you get lucky and stumble upon one you end up on a wait list for babies. Any of the Indo species are still exported so they are more readily available. However there are times that you MAY be dealing with a WC skink. My female was pretty wild/bitey when we first got her, but after a few month of her getting acclimated she calmed down and is very easy going. My male was easy going from the day we got him.

Australian Species (many of which aren't available outside of Australia):
    -Eastern
    -Northern
    -Tanimbar Island
    -Centralian
    -Western
    -Blotched
    -Shingleback

Indo Species:
    -Indonesian
    -Halmahera
    -Merauke
    -Kei Island
    -Irian Jaya
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 05-09-2017 at 05:56 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS
    1.0 German Sherherd (Timber), 1.0 Wolf/Shepherd (Sabre), 1.0 Chihuahua (Taz), 0.1 Chihuahua (Penny), 0.1 Pitbull (Luna)

Thanks
    I'm based near Bournemouth so the supply isn't too bad, just have to look around in the right places
    Thank you for your responses guys, theyve been super helpful

I'm definitely looking for a Merauke, but from what I can find they are hard to identify over other species.

I mean either the Merauke cause they are rumoured to be the biggest, or a white one - But I think they are waaay expensive???

Thanks

I'm based near Bournemouth so the supply isn't too bad, just have to look around in the right places
    Thank you for your responses guys, theyve been super helpful

I'm definitely looking for a Merauke, but from what I can find they are hard to identify over other species.

I mean either the Merauke cause they are rumoured to be the biggest, or a white one - But I think they are waaay expensive???

A northern from Australia will be the largest in length and girth combined. Meraukes are long but not as thick. You will be hard pressed getting near the 3ft mark, but to be honest with only a 4ft enclosure you won't be housing a 3ft lizard anyways. A 4ft long by 2ft wide enclosure is a good size footprint for a 2ft blue tongue skink.
    Last edited by jclaiborne; 05-09-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    SNAKES
    1.0 Childrens Python
    LIZARDS
    FROGS
    DOGS

Thanks
    Surely I can't get an Aussy one here in the UK? I can go bigger than 4 x 2 x 2, just thats the most I could fit in the car hahaha

The absolute max I can go is 5 foot wide x 2 foot deep - Height isn't an issue but seeing as they don't climb much I figured 2 foot high is enough - Don't have any more space in the room unfortunately

Which ones are the "white" ones? I will post a pic so we are looking for the same thing

Now I get the feeling they are rare and expensive hahaha but I just like the look of them, so if you can point me in the direction of those, or similar I'd be grateful

Thanks
    Deleted. Hadn't read entire thread, sorry.
    Last edited by Darkbird; 05-10-2017 at 05:47 AM.
    Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with their experience.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Thanks

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=428328834017979
    This is the page where people post the stock they are taking to Donny

Ask if anyone has what you want and maybe you could arrange something for it
    The next show is (I think) 25 June at the Racecourse
    Snakes:
    ~Ball Pythons: 1.0 Spider (Corkii) --- 1.0 Mojave (Meeko) --- 1.0 Bumblebelly (Pringle) --- 0.1 Normal (Fraggles) --- 0.1 Lesser Enchi (Khaleesi) --- 1.0 Pied (Piper)
    ~Cornsnakes: 0.1 Tessera.het Amel Motley (Twiglet) --- 1.0 Amel (Wotsit)
    ~Hognose: 0.0.1 Normal.66%hetAlbino (Waffle)
    ~Boa: 0.1 Normal (Medusa)
    ~Spotted Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Bredlis Python 0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Burmese Python: 0.1 Granite (Skittles)
    Lizards:
    ~Crested Geckos: 1.0 Buckskin Dalmatian (Rex) --- 0.1 Orange Dalmatian (Apollo) --- 1.1 Harlequin (Cosmos / Nova) --- 1.0 Extreme Harlequin (Dino) --- 1.1 Halloween Partial Pin (Pumpkin/Unnamed) --- 1.0 Red and Cream partial pin (unnamed)
    ~Leopard Gecko: 1.0 Hypo (Dave)
    ~Bearded Dragon: 0.1 Red Leatherback.hetTrans
    ~Ackie Monitor: 0.0.1 (Unnamed)
    ~Jewled Lecarta 1.0 (Wizard)
    Others:
    Tortoise, Dog, Tarantulas, Parrot

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast