Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,473

2 members and 1,471 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

I want an up to 3 foot lizard... what are my options?

Hi guys, I'm back. After finding out my Nox is actually a girl, the urge to get her a mate has worn off until she grows - a LOT!

So I was thinking of maybe getting a lizard instead

I really liked iguanas, they seemed like scaley dogs/puppies to me, and then I did proper research. They are definitely off the list, firstly cause of care costs, and secondly because I lack the experience for them to thrive which I think if I did get one would be cruel.

My girlfriend really likes Bearded dragons, and so do I, but I wanted something more... special? So we came across a blue tongue skink which I quite like - Both of these are quite strong contenders so far, unless you guys can point me in another direction?

Just random googles showed some Tegus - But they seem to get a little bit too big for what I can provide, and require more experience than I have so far.

My requirements are as follows:

Relatively easy to care for? I have no lizard experience, but Nox is doing well - Always 1 solid shed, no bowel problems etc feeds well
    Must reach close to/over 2 foot but still happy in a 4 foot viv
    Enjoy being handling/sit on my lap while I watch tv sort of thing
    Look awesome/cute
    Preferred if they ate meat and not bugs but thats just being fussy and not a deal breaker

What do you think my options are? I've found various cool little lizards etc, but they're just too small or shy for what I'm after - Not to say they aren't lovely animals, I just don't want to stress the little guy/girl!

Thanks for reading my somewhat disjointed post hahaha I look forward to your ideas PICS WOULD GET YOU BROWNIE POINTS

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Re: I want an up to 3 foot lizard... what are my options?

Probably smaller than what you're looking for, but this is my African Fire Skunk. They top out at about 15" and his diet is primarily crickets, so that's probably two strikes against what you're looking for. He's become pretty sociable in the few months I've had him. Very easy upkeep, hardy species, pretty easy to handle off the bat (quick at first, but calm right down as they acclimate).
    So, probably not what you're looking for, but still great. I love the little guy.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Vithaxton (05-10-2017)

Banned
    Thanks
    darn auto correct changed SKINK to SKUNK. That is CLEARLY not a SKUNK.
    Sorry bout that.

Thanks
    Well his diet is okay, not really a strike

He is cute but as you say, a bit small - Prefer the bigger skinks. He is lovely though!!!

I like that he is both super quick and then lazy - I like both qualities so thats fine.

Banned
    Thanks
    I had a blue tongue or a B&W Tegu on my "wish list" for a while, and then met this guy and did some research on the species. Got my set-up ready and a few days later ended up bringing him home. His size was a selling point for my girlfriend and a compromise I was more than happy to make. She still thinks his face is "scary", but she's warmed up a bit since he's been more sociable. (I think she was happy with the price too, he was a lot less expensive than a BTS or a Tegu).

Well, good luck!! I'm sure you'll find the right lizard for you. Please keep us posted!

Thanks
    Ackie monitors are about the size of a bearded dragon (so maybe not quite as big as you want) and pretty cool. They will eat pinkies as well as superworms, etc...

Thanks

I'm just going to throw out there that Beardies are pretty special I know they're popular on the market, but there's a reason for that: they're so friendly, have awesomely HUGE personalities (that are different for each one) and so much fun to keep. They're care and set up is fairly easy, whereas a lot of the other bigger lizards will have specializations and need more space.

There are a bunch of rarer morphs out there if you're just wanting different. I had one for a few years and ended up giving her to a friend for his kids. They LOVE her to pieces. She's so chill - she and my cat would bask together in the sunlight, she loves sleeping in laps, and bathtimes are fun too.

Just don't rule them out!
    Last edited by ladywhipple02; 05-09-2017 at 09:15 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ladywhipple02 For This Useful Post:

Vithaxton (05-10-2017)

BPnet Senior Member GoingPostal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 723 Posts
    No idea if they fit your bill or not but if I ever got another lizard it would probably be a legless or a uro, dream list would be a tree monitor. I have an iguana now and think it will take me a long time to consider another and probably going smaller next round.

2.0 Python brongersmai
    1.1 Python breitensteini
    1.0 Python curtus
    1.0.1 Python regius
    1.0 Acrantophis dumerili
    1.0 Boa constrictor
    0.1 Heterodon nasiscus nasiscus
    0.0.1 Pantherophis guttatus

Thanks

Bearded Dragons are the best!! Not very large though, but they get a decent size. Their personalities are the GREAT, I have two that are polar opposites of each other, one is very laid back and lazy and likes to snuggle, while the other is (usually) bouncing off the walls and territorial, but will settle down for snuggles occasionally. Tank size fits what you are looking for, mine are in 40galB's. Though you do feed bugs no meat, but its not too bad (I use dubia roaches, clean, quiet and not jumpy, I hate crickets...). And once they get older they switch over to mostly greens instead of bugs daily. And care wise once you get them set up properly its not bad, they do take a bit of attention though (mine at least), one of my girls gets very upset if I don't pay attention to her or she cant run around outside her cage for a few days and makes sure I know
    Those are the only lizards I have experience with. Good luck choosing! ;D
    Bearded Dragons: 0.2 Normal (Mufasa), Normal (Norberta)
    Cat: 0.1 Tortoiseshell (Butterscotch)
    Ball Pythons: 0.1 Ghost (Olympia)
    Hermit Crabs 1.1 Purple Pincher (Tyler), Purple Pincher (Londyn Raine)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Reptimom For This Useful Post:

Vithaxton (05-10-2017)

Thanks
    I'll add this in, I'm not bothered by crickets/bugs etc, just its easier to feed them all mice - again I can adapt, its nothing major at all
    I've now found the Egyptian Uro as its the biggest hahaha and Ackie's seem quite cool too

So now I've got 3 to look for at shows/shops

I was debating just getting a bigger Viv... but the get so expensive!

Does it change much if I decide to get a 6 foot viv? I just figured Nox would only ever get a 4 foot at most, which leaves a 2 footer as well... so if I get a 6 foot for the lizard I can stack the two

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast