Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,890

1 members and 2,889 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JCP Temperment?

Thanks

Re: JCP Temperment?

JCP's are known for some of the most unpredictable attitudes in the carpet world.

With enough handling and time, 90% of them will outgrow "nippy" attitudes that they almost always have as babies.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNoFace View Post
    Thanks all for your replies. I think most species get a bad name when it comes to being "mean". They dont really deserve it.
    However, it's not an uncommon thing to have a completely unpredictable adult. Not only that, but it's the way they bite. They have "defense" strikes like any other snake species BUT.....

As adults, SOME specimens have a tendency to "wrist roll" you much in the same way that a problematic Anaconda does. You'll be handling them and they will show no signs of aggression, only to "roll" over and nail you on your arm or wrist. I've seen it happen numerous times before with a few problematic adult specimens. Call Richard from Reptile Rapture in Madison, WI if you want more proof of that btw. He specifically labels his problematic JCP's.

They are definitely a GREAT display species (absolutely BEAUTIFUL) but I would encourage you only to think about one if you're over the stage where you're worried about being bitten........which, personally took me a long time to get over. Morelia bites?....not fun either.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-13-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks
    I don't have much experiences with JCPs, but they are gorgeous and very interesting snakes. I believe that with patience and gentle handling you can get them to settle down quite a bit. If you get a small, young JCP expect to get bitten. It doesn't hurt... Its scary, but when they are small it really doesn't hurt. You just have to get used to it LoL

Not trying to hijack your thread, just sharing my limited experience. I got my first JCP about a month ago. My other snakes are ball pythons...polar opposites. My JCP, Arya, is a 2 year old female. She wasn't handled much prior to my getting her, so I've been working with her a lot to get her used to me and gain her trust. Once shes out of her enclosure she's pretty gently, not nippy at all. She is still scared and jumpy, but not aggressive. The first couple weeks i was handling her I used a hook to gently get her on the move so i could pick her up. Once she's moving shes more concerned with getting away than being defensive. Well, the last few weeks I've just been using my hand to get her. There has been improvement, but its slow. Patience is required.

I debated with myself on whether to show this, mainly cause i feel like an idiot LoL but I decided...what the hell. Its not a big deal. This is me trying to get her out a couple weeks ago. I had to clean her enclosure. This was totally my fault for hesitating, but she was in full "DON'T TOUCH ME" mode LoL It didn't hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoMxJ9rAi-Y

By the way, in 23 years of keeping snakes this was only my second bite.

I don't know much about jungle carpet pythons, but I do think they have a mostly undeserved reputation as "mean". Be patient. Handle your snake. Gain its trust. Be gentle. Learn your snake, understand its moods. All reasonable with any pet. Good luck.

Thanks

Re: JCP Temperment?

Hi
    I have had a young male JCP since early last December. He is probably about a year and a half old, four foot 8 long. These snakes are rather active. Mine divides his time between being in one of his hides on the ground, and lying up in the branches. At first he stayed hidden during the day, only coming out after dark, but nowadays he is usually up in the branches during the afternoon, retreating to his hide at about 8.30pm. These snakes are a food deal more nervous than boa constrictors, epicrates, and python regius. Youngsters tend to be a bit defensive. When I brought mine home he was easily transferred from the tub to his viv. I have only tried to handle him once since, and he became very tense and defensive, but didn't bite (he might have if I had gone nearer). He fed after five days. I started him on very small prey, as he seemed to get fazed by larger items. THe first two feeds were drop feeds. He now eats like a champion on asult mice (three per feeding, though he'd take more). He won't take rats, unless a small rat is sewed onto the rear end of a mouse. Hooe this helps...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12