Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,211

1 members and 3,210 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

BP got out a week ago. Advice needed

I've had a BP for a few years now, and for the first time I forgot to put the lid of her tank back on after feeding her. I fed her last Sunday 8 days ago, and when I did I forgot to put her tank lid back on. Long story short, she's recently been kept in a room we haven't used much the last few weeks, and didn't notice until yesterday for her next feeding that she was missing.I thouroughly looked through everything in that room and saw no signs of her. There's enough of a gap in the door to that room that she could have gotten out into the next room, but no luck finding her there either. So after looking everywhere on the main floor of the house, I ended up heating up a mouse and putting it in her terrarium, I then put the terrarium on the ground in the dining room (pretty centrally located). I put some flour around the doorways so if she moved from one room to the next overnight she'd leave a mark. I also left all of the doors open so wherever she is she'd hopefully smell the mouse. This morning, no luck. mouse is still in the tank, and no flour has been disturbed. Any advice on how to find the BP would be greatly appreciated. I feel sick to my stomach thinking how she's likely been out of her tank for a week now, and I have no idea where she went. The weather here has been very cold the last week (50s). I don't know that there's be anyway for her to get outside, but I have no idea where she could have gone.

Thanks

Re: BP got out a week ago. Advice needed

Keep looking under couches and everywhere.. I lost mine a few weeks ago and did the whole flour and plastic bag and mouse trick but no luck for about a week then one night I got up and went to the kitchen and I found him on the floor next to the refrigerator. Keep looking and he'll show up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Ball Python: 1.1 Mojave, 0.1 Normal, 1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Spider/Pastel/Butter/YB, 1.0 spider, 1.0 Pastel Clown, 0.1 Butter/YB/Pastel, 0.1 Butter, 0.1 Butter Enchi, 0.1 Cinnamon Albino, 0.1 Butter/Spider/OG, 0.1 Enchi Ghost, 0.1 Lesser, 0.1 Firefly/YB, 0.1 Black Magic
    Boa: 0.1 Suriname Red Tail

Thanks

Do you normally go a week in between checking on your snake?? I refresh my snakes water and check on temps/humidity every single day.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to L.West For This Useful Post:

C.Marie (05-19-2017),Craiga 01453 (05-08-2017),se7en (05-08-2017)

Thanks

I will keep looking. I plan to try pulling out my oven, and possibly refrigerator to see if I can find the BP. Im iffy about both as I don't want to hurt her by pulling them out. I'll keep trying the four method as it's cheap and pretty easy. Would it be worth trying a mouse every day, or every few days to try to lure her out? If so, what's the best way of trying to make that successful? last night I put her tank on the ground with the mouse inside, with the hopes of her going in and finding her old cave and just staying in. perhaps just on the ground would be good?

how long until I should be worried? Luckly, I know she ate a week ago, so isn't too ling without food yet, but also likely getting hungry. I'll bump up the house temp a couple degrees to try to get her to be more active?

Thanks

No, this is not normal. My wife had her home office in the same room as the BP, and saw her every day until about a week and a half ago we started moving the office into a different room in the house, and haven't moved the snake yet. She does have a large water bowl, and is normally good on water for a bit longer than a week, but my wife also normally tops off the water bowl every few days. Neither of us have been in the room for the past week though (baby on the way, job being crazy...etc). We were planning on moving her tank to the new office this week.

Thanks

Around the fridge would be a good place to check because it's a heat source.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kevall1 For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Anywhere warm and tight is where you should look. Im sorry this happened to you. Hope you find your snake soon.
    0.1 Albino Corn
    1.0 Ball Python
    0.1 Striped California King

10. The Following User Says Thank You to KingNoFace For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-08-2017)

Thanks

I've read conflicting things online about house temp for best chances of them coming out at night. would a higher house temp be better, so they are more active, or lower, so they seak out a heat source?

I will be checking under the fridge, oven and dishwasher when I get home.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    I'm sorry you lost your snake. A full week without noticing though? I check each of my enclosures daily. Water (full AND cleaned every other day), temps, humidity, make sure the heat sources and thermostats are functioning properly, etc...

I hope you find her. Good luck

Thanks

Odds are if it got out - it isnt going to be cruising around your house. It will most likely be in a tight space somewhere warm and secluded. I have never lost a snake, but I have read this will be common amongst ball pythons that escape. As for the house temp getting her to come out, Im not sure.
    0.1 Albino Corn
    1.0 Ball Python
    0.1 Striped California King

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast