Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,811

2 members and 2,809 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

View Poll Results: Which name should i choose for my blood?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rambo

11 73.33%
  • Bili (pronounced Billy)

4 26.67%
  • Spot

0 0%
  • Other (comment a suggestion!)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Dxw, I went ahead and weighed her and she weighs in at 731 grams 5 days after her last feeding. So, yeah... These guys must basically triple in size between year 1 and 2. And, they obviously must even way more than triple their second year size between year 2 and 3 as they near adulthood... lol

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (05-22-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Naming my male blood

So ive been calling him 'bo, short for Rambo. Think it has stuck now. And thanks for the updates on weights and ages Aedryan, I went back to the guy i purchased him from to pick up some frozen feeders, and he had taken in a borneo that someone had bought from him upwards of a year ago. The person who brought it back was moving and decided it better to give the snake back in order to find a more stable home. Anyway, we got on the topic of bloods and growth and he told me that the borneo in his possession was about half a year older than bo, and this snake was massive in comparison. Had to be around 800-900g just by looking at it. So yeah big growth spurt coming up. So far Bo is being pretty picky about his food though, hes only eaten twice over 4 weeks ( every other weeks) on live rat pinks (he wont touch frozen yet). So ive stopped handling to give him more time to just adjust and become less shy hopefully

Thanks
    Bo is perfect! His name still has the cleverness on Rambo/First Blood, but the cuteness of a nickname! Since my last reply I received my 2016 male Matrix (basically the same age as my Sumatrans). He weighed in at 347 grams and is waaay bigger than my Sumatrans! My new pair of 2016 Marble Borneos will be arriving on Thursday. It will be very interesting to be able to compare the sizes and growth rates of all 3 species! I suspect the Borneos will fall somewhere in between the Sumatrans and Bloods, but closer to the Bloods...

I will be trying to feed my new Matrix boy for the first time tonight. He has supposedly been eating fresh killed, so my fingers are crossed that he will take a frozen/thawed/heated small rat. I'm still struggling to get my female Sumatran to eat frozen/thawed, too. I stopped giving in and giving her live mice when she refuses f/t, so she has been on a hunger strike for about 3 weeks now. Hopefully my stubbornness will win out over hers soon! lol Have you tried just leaving a frozen/thawed in Bo's tub? Strangely, none of mine will take it from the tongs, but they'll eat it if it is left in their tub...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (05-23-2017)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

ive tried leaving them in his tub, he left the first so i had to get rid of it the next day, he ate one the next week that i had to leave for him over night, he refused another, and then completely refused two ( back to back over nights, separate adult mice each time) so i gave him a live rat pink, which he didnt touch for 3 days! i left it because i had no other housing options and it couldnt even fully walk so had no way to harm him, but the poor thing was in there for so long! i was suprised it was alive on the third night and then the fourth morning it was gone. I would really prefer to switch to F/T but i also dont like wasting multiple mice for no reason.. hopefully hell grow out of it.

Keep me updated on all their growth! throw some pics in too, always cool to see progressions

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Just weighed Bo today (6/26), he's at 330g now, from 269g on 5/21. I also found out that he was previously only being fed live, which is part of why he was not easily accepting food. I havent attempted to switch him to f/z yet, i didnt want to throw him off now that he's finally comfortable, and figured id wait to try it until he needs larger rats as now hes eating pups with freshly opened eyes which dont seem to be too much of a threat to him (he destroys them and i always monitor to be sure he isnt bitten or scratched in the eyes). Also, he's gone from "touch me, you die" to me being able to pick him up without so much as a fuss. His attitude has turned 180 degrees and he is great to handle!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dxw425 For This Useful Post:

Aedryan Methyus (06-28-2017)

Thanks

Hi Dxw,
    I'm glad to see your boy is growing and doing good! It's amazing how much their attitudes change, isn't it? A couple of mine acted completely schizo for about the first month. Then they became sweet as can be! I know how you feel about getting him switched over to f/t, too. I went through it with my two Sumatrans. We want them to keep eating and growing, so it drives us crazy letting them miss a few meals. I finally got mine switched over, though and I am convinced that if I had been doing it right and been a little more persistent they probably would have never missed a meal. What finally worked for me was to keep re-heating the rat pups under scolding hot water and simply not giving up. If he is coming up to the f/t rat and flickering his tongue and smelling it and rubbing against it or at all acting interested in it you have him right where you want him! Just keep heating the rat back up and alternating between making it scurry around and holding it right in front of him. It would take about 30 minutes of rinsing and repeating the above process for each snake every time I fed them (what a pain!), but they would eventually take it. It still takes about 15 minutes or so of doing all of that to get them to eat, but they always end up taking it. Most of the time they still don't strike and wrap, though. Usually, they will end up taking the rats just as slowly and gently as can be. I'm told they will get better at it, though...

Try this and i'll bet you he will take it the very first time if you don't give up. If he doesn't don't give in and give him live, though... lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aedryan Methyus For This Useful Post:

Dxw425 (07-10-2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12