Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,557

1 members and 3,556 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg

Thread: Inactive Snake?

Thanks

Inactive Snake?

Lately my Ball has been super lazy. She'll typically be all over the place at night, moving around, checking everything out and all.

(3/4 of her Vivarium sides are covered so she shouldn't be feeling anxious or trying to find somewhere to hide, considering I already have a hide for her.)

However lately, she's not been moving around, only to slither from laying next to her water bowl, then back to her hide to curl up again. She's only about a year old or so, I'm not entirely sure, but I'm worried maybe my husbandry isn't as good as it can be? Her temps do get colder at night, and I always try to keep her humidity between 50-70 percent while I try and build her a new enclousure myself. Or maybe it's close to shed time? I heard that can cause inactivity.

Thanks

Re: Inactive Snake?

From what the other, more experienced owners have said a hiding ball is a happy ball. Mine is going on three years old and I rarely see him anymore lol

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cron14 For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (05-07-2017),PokeyTheNinja (05-08-2017),Vithaxton (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    My guess is that she will shed soon. I know that Winry is about to shed when she starts spending more time in her hide. Usually she pokes her head out of her head several times throughout the evening except when she is going into shed. When she's in the process, I don't see her at all for a few days until she's done.

Try to keep humidity between 60%-70% for a few days and I'm sure she will shed soon
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

M_king0347 (05-07-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kira View Post
    My guess is that she will shed soon. I know that Winry is about to shed when she starts spending more time in her hide. Usually she pokes her head out of her head several times throughout the evening except when she is going into shed. When she's in the process, I don't see her at all for a few days until she's done.

Try to keep humidity between 60%-70% for a few days and I'm sure she will shed soon
    She recently just came out for a drink, which I'm glad about; as for humidity I'll try and keep it up ^^ Maybe she's finally getting cozy in her new home and likes to hide, like typical ball pythons do

Thanks
    Either way, there's nothing to worry about She may become more active a day or two before feeding day. Sounds like you're doing great! How long have you had her for?
    Winry-Pastel Vanilla BP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kira For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Just wondering if there are enough branches and other distractions ( logs / bark pieces ) in there . I'm forever picking up bark pieces and the like on our dog walks . Then after a few weeks I tend to swap odd pieces around from viv to viv . That certainly gets their attention / interest ...

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Inactivity usually isn't a bad thing with BPs. I would imagine your snake is settled and comfortable and yes, a shed is possibly coming soon.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

JodanOrNoDan (05-08-2017),PokeyTheNinja (05-08-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Inactive Snake?

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Inactivity usually isn't a bad thing with BPs. I would imagine your snake is settled and comfortable and yes, a shed is possibly coming soon.
    I can see your point of course but I am sometimes bemused when I see a photo of a rub and a hide and water dish plus a comment to the effect of 'the snake stays in his hide all day' ... I always wonder what they expect them to do in an empty plastic box - that's discounting the fact that Royals / Balls are nocturnal of course .
    Last edited by Zincubus; 05-08-2017 at 07:50 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I can see your point of course but I am sometimes bemused when I see a photo of a rub and a hide and water dish plus a comment to the effect of 'the snake stays in his hide all day' ... I always wonder what they expect them to do in an empty plastic box - that's discounting the fact that Royals / Balls are nocturnal of course .
    I agree with you as well. I've seen you advocate for branches and other things for your snakes to explore. I personally agree with you and all of my enclosures have branches and things for my snakes to explore and climb. My Kingsnake is by far my most active, but surprisingly my BP tends to be a bit more active with climbing and exploring than my corns.

Anyway, I certainly see what you're saying as well. I'm not trying to say that your snake should be hidden all day every day, but that's what they tend to do some days, other days they explore a bit more. And clearly, if there is nothing for them to climb or explore, they aren't going to do so.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Craiga 01453; 05-08-2017 at 03:42 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craiga 01453 For This Useful Post:

Zincubus (05-08-2017)