Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,895

2 members and 2,893 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Thought I'd note, 92 degrees (which is the proper hot spot temp) feels like nothing to the back of our hands. Thermostats to regulate ANY heating element is a 100% required piece of equipment for snakes, not an optional kinda thing.

For humidity, if you have a screen top, you can soak a bath towel, squeeze it down so it doesn't drip, and fold it over the empty half of the screen top. That shoukd up humidity by a lot. You can also spray the walls of the tank every few hours, if not.

Do you have a digital hygrometer or are you just guessing that it's dry?

you'll also want to buy a digital temp gun to measure any surface or ambient temps. It's very handy!

Snakes are only easy to keep if you get the setup and husbandry right. If it's off, there is a whole host of risks and stress to pay for.
    Last edited by redshepherd; 05-06-2017 at 09:45 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (05-07-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,018 Times in 1,743 Posts
    Also, a heat pad I have says it doesn't get over 90-95. It actually gets to 110-120, when unregulated by a thermostat. I only know the temp because of my digital temp gun.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to redshepherd For This Useful Post:

PokeyTheNinja (05-07-2017)

Thanks

Re: Just got this little fellow wondering what kind he was.

Quote Originally Posted by redshepherd View Post
    Also, a heat pad I have says it doesn't get over 90-95. It actually gets to 110-120, when unregulated by a thermostat. I only know the temp because of my digital temp gun.
    Thought I got a thermostat with the combo i bought but it was just another thermometer with a cable. Which i put next to the heating pad as pitontheprawl suggested and it was around 87. The hydrometer read 37% humidity when I put it in so I sprayed the leaves in the cage and it's at 50.2% right now. Have to wait till next week to get a regulator for the heat pad to be on the safe side. I switched the white light for a red light and I noticed he likes that way better just in the couple of hours i switched it out. Put 2 new hides and some leaves and he exploring like crazy right now. Its his feeding day today should i wait till he gets used to the setup or just go for and see how he does?

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 711 Posts
    sphagnum moss can help with humidity. buy it from home depot/lowes or some such store. definitely not at a pet store. what home depot will charge you $3 for, petsmart will charge you $17.

Thanks

Keeping humidity in a tank can be a real pain in the butt. I have a couple damp washcloths, a piece of plexiglass (which is a huge help with heat as well), and some towels if it's chilly in the house. On top of that, mist the tank and moss every day, a bowl of damp moss under the lamp (which seems to help it stay around 50% at least), and he has a humid hide with a tropical mix bedding that stays nice and damp in the middle of the tank.
    Just a few ideas that I discovered through trial and error
    You can get a thermostat for pretty cheap if you're on a budget, the herpstats are pretty up there. Mine is just an Inkbird Thermostat, around $30, and has been working just fine for me since last year. Just be sure to set the target temp a few degrees below 91, as it lets the temp get 2-3 degrees warmer than the target temp before it shuts off.
    And exploring is great so long as he isn't constantly looking for a way out. I put my guy in his 40gal too early and he was ALL OVER the place until I planted it down, concealed the hides well, and even covered every side of the tank. At least make sure 3 sides are covered so he feels safe.

Feeding you may want to wait. If he's not settled in, chances are he won't want to eat and you run the risk of him not digesting properly if he's going to be squiggling all over the place.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by se7en View Post
    sphagnum moss can help with humidity. buy it from home depot/lowes or some such store. definitely not at a pet store. what home depot will charge you $3 for, petsmart will charge you $17.
    I will have to go and get some for sure. I was going some from the pet store and it was over $20 so I will check out a Hardware store today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ferrislongdog View Post
    Keeping humidity in a tank can be a real pain in the butt. I have a couple damp washcloths, a piece of plexiglass (which is a huge help with heat as well), and some towels if it's chilly in the house. On top of that, mist the tank and moss every day, a bowl of damp moss under the lamp (which seems to help it stay around 50% at least), and he has a humid hide with a tropical mix bedding that stays nice and damp in the middle of the tank.
    Just a few ideas that I discovered through trial and error
    You can get a thermostat for pretty cheap if you're on a budget, the herpstats are pretty up there. Mine is just an Inkbird Thermostat, around $30, and has been working just fine for me since last year. Just be sure to set the target temp a few degrees below 91, as it lets the temp get 2-3 degrees warmer than the target temp before it shuts off.
    And exploring is great so long as he isn't constantly looking for a way out. I put my guy in his 40gal too early and he was ALL OVER the place until I planted it down, concealed the hides well, and even covered every side of the tank. At least make sure 3 sides are covered so he feels safe.

Feeding you may want to wait. If he's not settled in, chances are he won't want to eat and you run the risk of him not digesting properly if he's going to be squiggling all over the place.
    Slowly coming along. This is what I have set up right now.

Thanks
    Certainly looking better
    1.0 Normal (Emrys)
    0.1 Fire (Calypso)
    0.1 Pied (Tessa)
    0.1 Albino Kingsnake (Nienna)
    2.1 Cats (Suki, Daisuke, and Kyo)
    0.0.2 Leopard Geckos (Chi and Pixel)

Thanks

Got a few new things for his cage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123