Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,356

3 members and 3,353 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Constipated Ball Python?

So, I've had my snake since late April, so about 3 1/2 weeks. She eats absolutely wonderfully and has yet to turn down a meal of a rat pup or a hopper. I've only ever seen her defecate once since I got her, a few days after she got comfortable in her Vivarium I supposed. However, I've fed her 4 times in total since I'd gotten her, and not once have seen any poop; and I'm worried she may be constipated! I heard that it can take snakes a while sometimes, but being a new reptile owner I'm just afraid for her. She doesn't seem to have lost any weight, and I'm not quite sure how much she weighs either, I was told she was a Juvenile when I got her.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Constipated Ball Python?

There is no schedule snakes are very efficient, it can be a few days or a few weeks, depends on the snake age, prey fed and feeding frequency.

When young they will utilize most of the prey for growth, leaving little to be eliminated and sometimes nothing if not fed adequately.

The important is to make sure that your snake is well hydrated, and does not have a persistent bulge near the cloaca.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Deborah Stewart

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Craiga 01453 (05-06-2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    There is no schedule snakes are very efficient, it can be a few days or a few weeks, depends on the snake age, prey fed and feeding frequency.

When young they will utilize most of the prey for growth, leaving little to be eliminated and sometimes nothing if not fed adequately.

The important is to make sure that your snake is well hydrated, and does not have a persistent bulge near the cloaca.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Thanks! I refilled her water bowl a bit earlier, and I think she's resting around it in fact ^^ I've seen her drink a few times, so I know she knows where to get her water thankfully I'll check once she's up, I like to respect her space in the mornings lol

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,072 Times in 5,330 Posts
    Nothing to worry about, especially with juvenile snakes. As long as there isn't a big bulge near her vent she is fine.

It may be simply that she is utilizing almost the entire prey item so there isn't much left to poop out.

It's a possibility that she may be getting close to a shed cycle as well. My snakes usually don't poop for a little while before going into shed.

Anyway, as long as there is no bulge you have nothing to worry about. My two cents would be to keep watching and keep learning your snakes "typical" behavior. It's great that you're monitoring things like defecation. This will help you to learn what to look for and what is actually "unusual". Snakes can be pretty unpredictable I their behavior, but you'll learn with time and experience.

I would also invest in a scale. I got a pretty decent kitchen scale at Walmart for $15.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by craigafrechette View Post
    Nothing to worry about, especially with juvenile snakes. As long as there isn't a big bulge near her vent she is fine.

It may be simply that she is utilizing almost the entire prey item so there isn't much left to poop out.

It's a possibility that she may be getting close to a shed cycle as well. My snakes usually don't poop for a little while before going into shed.

Anyway, as long as there is no bulge you have nothing to worry about. My two cents would be to keep watching and keep learning your snakes "typical" behavior. It's great that you're monitoring things like defecation. This will help you to learn what to look for and what is actually "unusual". Snakes can be pretty unpredictable I their behavior, but you'll learn with time and experience.

I would also invest in a scale. I got a pretty decent kitchen scale at Walmart for $15.
    Thank you I have noticed that she's being less active at night than she usually is, and spending more time hiding under her log than anything; I'm figuring that she's about to shed because of this, considering how she's seemed "lazy" lately! I haven't gotten a good look at her eyes yet, and her color seems fine too ^^